Snow Recovery

RusherRacing

Adventurer
This is my first post on here but I have been lurking for awhile.

quick about me
Ryan
Late 20's family on the way, love to travel, camp, race, explore...
I live in rural eastern South Dakota and snow recovery is one of my biggest "issues"

I drive a 1999 Chevy Tahoe, nothing fancy all stock except for some oversized goodyear TD's farm style tires 265/75/16. I am planning on upgrading in the next few months to a lower milage more capable rig. I am considering the following a 2005-2006 Dodge Ram Power Wagon (need to verify it will fit in the garage), Jeep JK rubicon unlimited, Jeep WK (hemi, QDII) but that isn't the issue at hand.

But anyhow back to the topic.

I got stuck to more times than I would like to admit to last winter and don't want to repeat it.
The snow around here is typically deep light and fluffy with solid ice under it. It can blow a driveway or highway shut in matter of minutes somedays.

What do you consider must have's for self sustained snow recovery?
Everything would need to beable to transfer to the new truck.

I carry a 3" x 30' jerk strap, aluminum scoop shovel, 3/8" x 15' chain, and am purchasing new clevis's before the snow starts to fly. Plus I keep sleeping bag, and a basic winter survival kit.

I have been thinking about a reciever mounted winch but with no tree's around to strap to is there a ground anchor method that works great for snow?

What chains do you like? Would you consider them a must? But if I buy them for the Tahoe they probably wouldn't fit 33's-35's I will have on my potential new vehicles.

Traction Aids, is there any tracks type options that really work good in snow? I have heard the pillow type are kind of a pita but what about the plastic or aluminum style?

What do you consider must have's for going out during really bad weather in non-populated areas?

Remeber snow starts flying in a month or so here, so now is the time to prepare while there is still stuff on store shelves or in time to be shipped in. (couldn't get a tow strap or chain at local stores most of last winter)

gahi

Adventurer
I lived in Winter Park, CO for 13 yrs. 9,000 ft. Snow on the ground 6-7 mos. It sounds like the snow is a little different where you are tough. For fluffy snow on top of ice a set of V-bar chains will get you going.
I've almost always been able to get myself out (unless I went off a steep bank where I wouldn't be able to drive out in the summer) with a few things.

A shovel will be your best tool, dig a path back out to the road. Best size for me are the avalanche rescue ones, they fold or collapse and are really tuff. The blade on mine is made of Lexan. Dont get a big shovel like used for doing driveways, the big capacity makes it a ton of work when your digging a couple hundred feet back to the road.

Sand Bags. Good for weight to keep traction, and when you do get stuck, rip them open and use the sand for traction. Dont keep them in the open bed of a truck though if you ever want to be able to use the sand. They turn into a giant ice cube from the freeze thaw cycles letting water in.

A yank strap. doesn't need elaboration.

V-bar Chains. These are like regular chains, but they have an extra V welded to the outside edge of each link. Its a huge pain putting chains on, especially after your already stuck. Break out the shovel and dig for a while to get a path long enough to get them on. If you do get a set, practice putting them on a couple times, and make sure and keep some black rubber bungees around for them.

If you do go off the road, dont sit there and spin your tires you'll just make it worse, the tires will get hot, melt into the ice, than when you do give up, it'll freeze in. Same applies on packed snow, the tires will dig down until your sitting on the frame.

Sometimes, if its warm out, the snow gets really slick or even slushy. If you can it'll make it easier to wait until morning when everything is froze up again.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
gahi pretty well covered it.

With chains, keep your speed down, as they will loosen up and can rip up fenders and quarter panels.

Not to mention brake lines! Make sure nothing is flopping around (hence the bungies)

Kitty litter, or floor dry. Like sand, it helps a lot with traction on ice, althougfh the sand is better for weight.

Sleeping bag and winter survival kit are great ideas, I keep the same stuff in my rigs.

gahi

Adventurer
1 other thing, to do your best to prevent getting stuck in the first place, spring for a set of studded snows on seperate rims. Makes a huge difference, especially on hard pack or ice.

If you want lockers, get selectable ones. True lockers or even posi sucks in the snow, you lose any lateral grip than the non spinning tire on an unlocked rig has. But if your chained up and locked F&R lookout:bike_rider:

And I guess the most important (my inner old guy coming out) SLOW DOWN, drive for the conditions. Its slickest when its warm. Super cold hard packed fresh snow gives really good traction.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
1 other thing, to do your best to prevent getting stuck in the first place, spring for a set of studded snows on seperate rims.

Not sure about SD, but here in MN studded tires are illegal.

Which I don't get:snorkel: Considering our winter weather, especially up north here, I'd love a set for my Jeeps.

Had a set I bought used from a guy who moved here from OR, and I loved them.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Thanks for the advise so far.

I should have stated I have been driving in this stuff for the last 15yrs. I am fairly experienced when it comes to driving in snow, ice, etc. What I do have an issue with is sometimes I go out when I really should just be staying at home (wife works in the medical field and I like to play in the snow).

I can normally rock myself loose or shovel out enough underneith to get it the truck to rock. But sometimes once I am stuck in the middle of a huge long drift and can't buildup enough momentum by rocking to clear myself from the snow. I am hoping to find something that will help me gain the momentum needed to get out or a way to pull myself out. Most of the people around here are farmers and just get out a bigger piece of equipment. But I am an engineer not a farmer :( so I don't have a big 4x4 tractor with a 80" PTO blower

Last year I only went off road once and that took a tow truck to get me out. It was on the interstate at 1am while traveling back from a work trip. I should have just got a hotel in Omaha.
Another time I had a week when I had to park my truck 1/4mile away outside and had to walk home. (was a little worried it wouldn't start when needed) When the hights are subzero trucks can freeze over easily. Road was snowed shut took a huge pto blower to open it up but blew shut within hours.

Here is basically what I use for a shovel. It works really well. The aluminum is nice an thin to cut the packed crust.
9101171.jpg

I will read into the link more - lots of good information on chains. This forum is so loaded with great information it is never ending.

Any thoughts on a ground anchor for snow? Not sure how that would work with the light weight of the snow.

Last edited:

R8R ROK

A Pull Pal in the snow is absolutely amazing. I didn't believe it would work until I saw it myself. It acts like a plow that turns into an anchor. You then can winch yourself out. I thought it would be difficult to dislodge it from once it dug in but it ended up being a piece of cake. Not cheap but in your case I would probably get one.

Errant

Explorer
On the chains, if it's bad enough that you need them, go ahead and do all four. Real chains that criss cross, like tractor chains, will give you sideways traction and help keep you from sliding off the road in a curve. A sack of generic kitty litter spread on ice can help get you moving.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
If the snow is deep enough you can bury a spare tire and winch off of that, or use a Pull-Pall (We sell those and you can use our 10% discount on that product as well). Beyond that I feel that our Super Yanker kinetic recovery rope is the best tow rope to have for use in the snow, with the ability to stretch up to 30% when properly used it can greatly aid in the extraction of a stuck vehicle if you have someone to help pull you out.

-Alex

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Thanks for the spare tire idea. I think the snow is deep enough ;)

I was also reading on here in another thread about self ice recovery and they were talking about drilling and driving rebar into the ice. I wonder if something like that would work in the frozen soil?

I think I might get a few pieces of 1" rebar and give some of these methods a shot this winter if I get stuck without anyone one around.

But who knows I might just pickup a power wagon and put on a western blade. Then hopefully these methods don't apply. I would rather not get stuck in the first place.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
On the chains, if it's bad enough that you need them, go ahead and do all four. Real chains that criss cross, like tractor chains, will give you sideways traction and help keep you from sliding off the road in a curve. A sack of generic kitty litter spread on ice can help get you moving.
X2.
Using one set of chains on a 4X4 is hard on the transfer case and axle. The axle with the chains on it has a taller gear ratio, and pulls harder than the axle without. It probably won't wreck it, but it's certainly not good for it.

java

Expedition Leader
V bar chains and a shovel are your best bets. also "tractor style" tires arent gonna do too well in the snow. somwthing with lots of siping if studs are illegal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger