So I bought a trailer now what should I do?

Firewalker

Im excited to start my first build and bought this as a base to start from. You guys have any ideas on what I should do? ;)00A0A_a4z74GprMcG_1200x900.jpg

Attachments

• 00A0A_a4z74GprMcG_1200x900b.jpg
    00A0A_a4z74GprMcG_1200x900b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 00A0A_a4z74GprMcG_1200x900c.jpg
    00A0A_a4z74GprMcG_1200x900c.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 00A0A_a4z74GprMcG_1200x900e.jpg
    00A0A_a4z74GprMcG_1200x900e.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70

billiebob

I'd start by stripping offall the things you won't need to reduce the weight. I looks like it has a dump mechanism which you'll never need. Surge brakes are not great off road. Maybe convert to electric.

Looks like the canopy is aluminum which is a huge plus but if it is taller than you need, cut it down.
Tailgate plus doors, I'd lose the tailgate too.

Where will you be going with it? Forestry roads or actual mountain trails?
And what will its function be? Like just hauling stuff or will the 4 of you be sleeping in it?
RTT? or ......

LilKJ

Adventurer
You need to explain what you want to do with it... sleep in it? tent on top? off road? gravel roads? what's the goal?

Firewalker

Thanks for the responses,

I think I want to make it an offroad teardrop-esque camper but a queen bed will take up most of the floor space as it is. My thoughts are to lengthen the box forward about 30" over the tongue and extend the tongue, thinking this should give me room in the back for the kitchen. Plan on my wife and I on queen and building 2 hammock beds for the kids so will probably keep the height. since I am extending the tongue, am looking to go with electric brakes. Probably doors and windows on the sides

I'm in Tennessee so looking to use here offroad but main plan is to overland and explore out west (while giving the wife some comfort). Thought about adding a RTT for extra rm but dont know that it will support it.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses,

I think I want to make it an offroad teardrop-esque camper but a queen bed will take up most of the floor space as it is. My thoughts are to lengthen the box forward about 30" over the tongue and extend the tongue, thinking this should give me room in the back for the kitchen. Plan on my wife and I on queen and building 2 hammock beds for the kids so will probably keep the height. since I am extending the tongue, am looking to go with electric brakes. Probably doors and windows on the sides

I'm in Tennessee so looking to use here offroad but main plan is to overland and explore out west (while giving the wife some comfort). Thought about adding a RTT for extra rm but dont know that it will support it.

My $.02: don't extend the tongue, chop up the box, etc... that is a rabbit hole that most projects don't come back from. Your trailer is also likely coated in CARC and you should read up on that before you touch that thing with a grinder/sander. I'd say put a bed and some storage in there, insulate it, add some windows/doors, throw a tent on top if you need room for kids, and have fun. Test it out as-is regarding the brakes and whatnot to see if it will work for you and upgrade things as needed.

billiebob

For the kids, check out CabelosCamp Cots. Very cool and light way to add an "RTT"

Theres a guy on this forum with one mounted as an RTT

4144-139765.jpeg

old_CWO

That's a nice cover for the trailer but I suspect it has a lot of wind resistance at highway speeds given the shape and overall height. Have you towed it yet? If not maybe throw some weight in it and try it out before spending a bunch of money and effort on it. Many of the mountain grades in the West are no joke; I believe you have a mismatched truck/trailer combo for pulling big hills. I also think it's way too tall for the tree lined trails in your region of the country.

Firewalker

I pulled it about 60 miles and never felt it behind me. if i stretch it I plan to slope the front quite a bit to make it a little more aerodynamic. as it sits overall height is 8 foot.

That's a pretty beefy trailer with a lot of wind resistance for you not to feel it behind a 4 runner, that's surprising! What kind accessories do you plan on adding - water tanks, fridge, batteries, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle