so I drove one today!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well, I finally drove a gen 2.5 today, and although it lacks the torque of my Jeep I must say I will likely buy it once I get the wife on board. It needs a tune-up badly and a new TPS, so that may be affecting power output a little. The body and interior are very clean and the heated leather seats are very comfy. I will keep the rest of the details to myself until I pick it up.

JamesW

Adventurer
Thats a step in the right direction.

Theres something about these trucks,they are a joy to drive,90% of the time i'd choose to drive mine which gets about 27MPG over the car which gets about 60 on a good day,and i've no idea why that is! Despite being fairly old,with a few rattles and shakes they will always make you smile when you drive them!

newworld2004

Adventurer
Thats a step in the right direction.

Theres something about these trucks,they are a joy to drive,90% of the time i'd choose to drive mine which gets about 27MPG over the car which gets about 60 on a good day,and i've no idea why that is! Despite being fairly old,with a few rattles and shakes they will always make you smile when you drive them!

I agree 1000%. I am in the same boat.

Well, I finally drove a gen 2.5 today, and although it lacks the torque of my Jeep I must say I will likely buy it once I get the wife on board. It needs a tune-up badly and a new TPS, so that may be affecting power output a little. The body and interior are very clean and the heated leather seats are very comfy. I will keep the rest of the details to myself until I pick it up.

Let me know if you want me to come check it out for you. I could tell you if it drives like it should. I will send you a PM with my number.

GFO

Observer

I have a 97 Montero with 140,xxx miles and a 97 Mercedes S320 with 85,xxx miles, guess which I prefer to drive more :)

Jaynen

Adventurer
Wish mine got 27mpg then again that is imperial gallons and a diesel :)

But yeah, cruise in comfort at highway speeds and it's quiet. Heated leather seats and comfy ride for wife and kiddo and myself, then go up some logging roads with some guys until it turns gnarly enough that the branches are hitting the sides of the car like a car wash and I am using 4lo on the all seasons on it and picking through rock gardens and tank traps. Pretty impressive machines for sure

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wish mine got 27mpg then again that is imperial gallons and a diesel :)

But yeah, cruise in comfort at highway speeds and it's quiet. Heated leather seats and comfy ride for wife and kiddo and myself, then go up some logging roads with some guys until it turns gnarly enough that the branches are hitting the sides of the car like a car wash and I am using 4lo on the all seasons on it and picking through rock gardens and tank traps. Pretty impressive machines for sure

I have been building and driving Jeeps the last 14 years, I can only hope the Montero impresses me a bit for what I need it for.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have been building and driving Jeeps the last 14 years, I can only hope the Montero impresses me a bit for what I need it for.

I think you'll be impressed with the build quality once you start taking it apart to tweak on it. They are really well engineered trucks. Overkill is standard.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I think you'll be impressed with the build quality once you start taking it apart to tweak on it. They are really well engineered trucks. Overkill is standard.

Oh I know, a solid frame is always nice and they are over-engineered compared to most of the market. The reason for getting a Montero is it fits my hobbies better than the Jeep. I figure IF I ever outgrow the IFS I can swap in an FJ80 front axle.

Jaynen

Adventurer
Mine is a gen 3 but I was impressed. The only thing that rattled at all was the glovebox a little, but really only a little and this was bumpy washboardy rocky etc. I felt bad for my wife who is 9 months pregnant even with the nice ride comparatively of the montero she was having to support her belly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears