So, I Monstalined my Gen. 3

Skidmarkart

Observer
So, I thought you guys might enjoy a look at this.

During Matthew a tree fell on my house and my Monty. I love the old girl, but she's got 180,000+ and a lot of bruises and contusions. Of course, she still runs great. I was able to pull out of most of the dents and bondo what I could not pull out, but the damage was on a bunch of panels, and due to bunches of other small things that were broken (antenna, rear view glass, etc.) the insurance company gave her "total loss". When I started looking into the paint repairs, it was more than I wanted to spend. SO, I thought I would take a chance and Monstaliner the old girl. Anyway, as a roll-on, Monstaliner is fairly easy to work with and really does make a nice finish, if you do the prep right. The color is "Killer Beej" It did exactly what I wanted which was hide the many bumps and bruises and paint imperfections she already had, and covered up my non-professional bodywork repairs so well, that they are not visible at all anymore. I opted for the "do not re-roll the second coat" method for a smoother flatter finish. Anyway, I am very pleased with the results. Total cost, $350 and a Saturday with the help of the coolest wife in the world, Mrs. Skidmarkart ;)

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer. I just followed the instructions that were included, used their rollers, and removed nothing (everything was well taped).

Attachments

• 20161108_154438.jpg
    20161108_154438.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 99
  • 20161108_154427.jpg
    20161108_154427.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 82

coffeegoat

Adventurer
That looks really nice, my paint is crap, this would be a nice way to go, though I agree with Jeep-n-Montero it look like it needs some sort of contrast.

Maybe we'll get a nice winter storm here in Denver and someone can side swipe my parked rig and total it for insurance money....

Skidmarkart

Observer
Well, like I say, I was really just going for "better than before" not trying to make a show truck or anything. Just thought it might be a good option for some folks that don't want to spend the money for a full paint job, but want to improve their looks. Hopefully it will hold up well. The Monstaliner, especially compared to some liners like Herculiner or Duplicolor, seems pretty much indestructible, but time will tell.

Be happy to get a picture of the texture when I am back home again.

Burb One

Adventurer
I've been 100% happy with my truck monstalined. Instead of finding my paint on branches now, I find branches on my paint.

Agree prep is 100%. I ran out of the stuff when doing it so I only got one good coat on. Going to put another coat at some point AND take off ALL the trim. I didn't and some areas need some touch up because the blue taping off the trim wasn't perfect.

Monty looks great!

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
That's awesome! Way cheaper than painting, and more durable. A Maaco shop (bottom of the barrel paint shop) nearby wanted $250 just to paint the hood on my wife's old Kia.

This is definitely going on my to-do list.

Any tips or tricks you figured out halfway through that would save the rest of us some headaches?

Last edited:

Skidmarkart

Observer
I've been 100% happy with my truck monstalined. Instead of finding my paint on branches now, I find branches on my paint.

Agree prep is 100%. I ran out of the stuff when doing it so I only got one good coat on. Going to put another coat at some point AND take off ALL the trim. I didn't and some areas need some touch up because the blue taping off the trim wasn't perfect.

Monty looks great!

Wow, sweet rig! Would love to have a set-up like that one day.

Here's some shots of the texture. This is two coats, they recommend a second rolling on the second coat 15mins after application to pull up the texture. I skipped this bit, so it is more smooth than some you will see online. It's not perfect, by any means, but I think it came our very well for a DIY application. I think just about anyone could achieve good results with Monstaliner.

20161117_125615.jpg

20161117_125636.jpg

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Buy more than you think.
Buy more ROLLERS. After a bit the stuff starts to dry a little, and it starts to eat up the rollers because it's so sticky. I didn't have enough rollers so the rollers started to get pulled apart and left some pieces in the paint (I'll have to sand them out before the next coat.
Mix in half batches.
Acetone or some other oil solvent over the whole truck. I just skuffed the paint up, but honestly, not sure if it did anything, this stuff sticks to everything hard. Really just need to remove any oils on the paint.

As Skidmarkart said: this stuff is so forgiving anybody could get a good product out of it. It's not shoiw car perfect but much better than my dented pinstripped 10 year old stock paint and will for sure provide more protection to the body. It's really, really tough stuff.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
What color was the truck before? I like that color, but Monstaliner has a green very close to my 80 series green and was thinking it would hide my mistakes....

Burb One

Adventurer
What color was the truck before? I like that color, but Monstaliner has a green very close to my 80 series green and was thinking it would hide my mistakes....

I painted over a GM black with light grey monstaliner (almost grey-white) and you can't see black through it at all, even in mistakes areas.This stuff is almost a dime thick.

The only places that don't look great where having a different color underneath shows is where I was over zealous with the blue tape and no monstaliner got on the paint.

I wouldg go with the color you want, and not worry too much about what color was underneath, it really makes no difference for this stuff!

Skidmarkart

Observer

It was the pearl white and gold. I went with a lighter color, for the same reason, to hide mistakes, but honestly it covers so well, you could do anything you want. I almost wish I had done something more playful. Still, it helps to be a similar color around the doors windows etc.

TIPS:

As Geronracing said: CLEAN everything, wipe down with MEK, and then do it again. Make sure it is clean. Scuff your paint with a 3M pad. The kit includes 2, you can probably use two more. Be sure to get cracks and groves well, any failure I have seen has been in these areas.

+1 on rollers. I think double what is included would be good. Pans too. You will need probably 8 of each to do a whole car.

Think about exactly where you want the Monstaliner to end on EVERY panel, and tape accordingly. I made my lines a little inside to door jams, probably a mistake. I would have gone closer to the edge if I had known. Get it all, you do not want to be doing tape work in the middle of this job. Also, it flings, so completely cover window etc.

As mentioned, mix in half (or quarter batches, in the case of the two gallon kit, which was what I used). Since there is a catalyst, as soon as you mix it, it begins to change. Go slowly, and do one panel at a time, it will not dry up on you. What is BAD is when you try to go back and touch up. It makes a spot of different texture (because it is drying and getting more tacky all the time, so try to finish each panel). SO, if you start on the hood, do the whole hood and get it cover the way you want before you try to move on.

Your roller will fall apart, especially on the second coat. The instant you see a bit of it in the liner, switch to a new roller. Also, keeps tweezers or like thing to pull out the bits. The surface will smooth itself out after you pull them.

If you do cut it work, do it for the one panel you want to work on then roll it. Don't try to do all the cut int work and come back over it.

MEK removes the stuff quickly and easily while it is wet. Not so much afterward.

Pull the tape BEFORE it dries.

That's it really it. There is lots of info on ihatemud and the jeep forums, but if you follow this advice and what is on the Monstaliner site/instructions you will get a good finish.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Looks good. I think I should declad my '05, patch the holes then monstaline the lower half and wheel arches.

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Hey, it looks great and is a wonderful compromise as opposed to scrapping the thing after the accident. I used Monstaliner after pulling all the plastic cladding and am very, very pleased with how tough it is. Following the very detailed instructions is key (good surface prep and application techniques). I chose it because it's UV-stabilized, which most bedliners aren't, and because it has a smooth, glossy/pebbly surface rather than a gritty one. Being a 2-part cured urethane, it's also rather flexible, adding to its toughness in use. I would encourage anyone considering application of a bedliner to consider the Monstaliner. It really is user-friendly and gives outstanding results with the supplied application materials.

20771812869_6a06a03a4a_b.jpg

20948696462_1b82e559cc_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears