So I think the Michelin Defender is the perfect all-terrain tire...

ChrisCosta416

In the "Overlanding" world excess is the new normal. I am sure you have all seen your fair share of clean traction boards, molle panels, and amber fog lights at your local cars & coffee event! Under all those rigs are these massive all-terrain and mud-terrain tires with copious amounts of tire shine ready to hit the trails (or the local coffee shop)

Jokes aside, being in Southern California I often see 4wds with the latest all-terrain/mud-terrain tire in the (whats the) "biggest tire size" (they can fit without a lift). Hardly do I ever see rigs with big tires out on the trail (with the exception of jeeps). Now, I will say seeing a old school Land Cruiser with big all-terrains looks so cool and makes for great photos.

Over the recent years "Overlanding" or whatever you want to call has grown exponentially in the United States, what once was all about the journey has turned into who can bolt the most stuff onto a vehicle. Tires also continued to grow in size, more and more forum posts I see are asking "what's the largest tire I can fit without a lift"

I watched so many owners purchase brand new offroad trims of new 4wds and immediately take off the stock all-terrains that came with them and throw on big tires without proper gearing or even clearances. Sure they ride nice in the parking lot but on full compression you will be eating those fender wells. .

Ok I got that off my chest whew... :)

I wanted to talk about function over form and my opinions on why I think the Michelin Defender LTX is one of the best "all-terrain" tires out these for a majority of 4wd enthusiast/Overlanders...

Before I begin let me cite a few sources on why I have these opinions.

Sources/References
- My use (I have over 10k miles on the Defenders and have wheeled them in different terrain, I will touch on below.)
- https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/perfect-off-highway-tire-ltx-what.206567/ - (This is the thread that really turned me onto this)
- https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/400-000-miles.404359/ (Another great thread on real world use)
- Watch any Deadliest roads video from this channel - https://www.youtube.com/@FreeDocumentary

The Michelin Defender LTX

IMG_8870 (1).JPG

Pictured above is my 2011 LX570 and about a year ago I ditched my Falken Wildpeaks (due to them being way to heavy and generating too much road noise) and set out to find the lightest wheel and tire setup for my 200 series.

I came across the Michelin Defender LTX M/S which came in a tad under 54lbs a tire 285/70/17 (32.8 inches) (E load)

My first thought was "ew street tires" but then I remembered my friend ran these on his 2wd 3rd Gen 4Runner (whom at the time I said again "eww street tires", if you see this Tyler I apologize you had some damn nice tires).
He took that truck everywhere and never got stuck plus riding in the truck was a dream.

I then stumbled upon the links above and here we are today. I have logged about 10k miles on these tires and have taken them all over California in rain, snow, rocks, dirt, sand, and even some mud. They ride quiet, balance easily, wear slowly, and most importantly have tackled pretty much everything I have threw at them. From trails all over the Eastern Sierras to Anza Borrego these were slid against rocks, in deep soft sand, and driven on rain, ice, and snow. I have aired them down to as low as 12 PSI and never had an issue. When aired down they do burp occasionally. I should note I did gash the sidewall on Little John Bull in Big Bear, CA. The tire still held air though the cords were showing. I drove it back home and swapped in my spare. We do not know if I hit a steel fence post that feel or if it was a rock...

Sure they look plain and boring but the performance you get from them especially TO the trail is well worth it. I spend most of my time on the highway driving to and from work and driving to and from the destinations we all enjoy. I would assume most of us also spend lots of time on the highway which driving to the places we love to explore which is why I think these are the perfect all-terrain tires. With the amount of time we spend of the highway we should consider it a terrain as well.

These tires will get you to your destination smoothly and truly quietly and are also tough enough to hit the trails and get you back home. Now, I doubt these tires will do great in deep mud... but any tire sucks in mud, even mud-terrains. In my opinion these tires are perfect tire for what most of us use our vehicles for, Weekend trips with the occasional backcountry discovery route here and there.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is no place for a true all-terrain tire I am just saying choose the tire that suits what you do or plan to do. Do not simply go for the meanest largest all-terrain just because an IG influencer says so. Just bought a brand new 4wd? Use the tires that the mfg put on it and push the vehicle to its limits. See what you can do and want to do before going out and spendings a $$$ on new tires.

Obviously these Defenders are not for everyone, those who rock-crawl and hit deep mud bogs often will need an aggressive tire to suit their needs, but I think for the casual Overlander you will be pleasantly surprised by these tires.

TL;DR

The Michelin Defender LTX is a fantastic all terrain tire that performs well in most situations with the exceptions of deep mud and hardcore rock crawling. This tire will get you to your destination quietly and smoothly and is tough enough to take you back home. Do not underestimate it looks.

Pros
- Excellent tread wear and tread life
- Smooth and quiet on the highway and off-road
- Light
- Extremely durable for a "street tire"

Cons
- Limited sizing, best to be had in an 18 inch as it can go up to a 34 inch size
- High cost of entry compared to other tires, even all-terrains
- Does not look cool for your cars and coffee events

IMG_5674.JPG
IMG_7156.JPG

Here are some photos of others using these tires -
JBCE2080-1024.jpgJBDA2105-1024.jpg

spot

Michelin makes an excellent tire. I ran the original LTX from the ‘80’s on my full size bronco for years. It was a bit more aggressive than the defender, I averaged nearly 60k miles on a set, they were available up to a 34” tire. I ran them in deep sand a lot as we used the bronco to fish the, then, remote sections for the NC coast. They handled being air down as low as 8psi without beadlocks.

MontySquareo

lookit this fool offroading on grandpa car street tires, hes gonna get stuck and need some bronco on 40s to pull him out

jokes aside, you can get pretty far on some mostly bald h/t tires, i did crown king and some other less known trails with some cooper htp tires with 5/32 of tread left. i would run defenders if they didn't cost $1200 a set

ThundahBeagle

lookit this fool offroading on grandpa car street tires, hes gonna get stuck and need some bronco on 40s to pull him out

jokes aside, you can get pretty far on some mostly bald h/t tires, i did crown king and some other less known trails with some cooper htp tires with 5/32 of tread left. i would run defenders if they didn't cost $1200 a set

Only $1200 per set? Sign me up. I had gotten a quote last year for similarly sized Falken Wilpeaks that was closer to $1700 a set.

Ran Michilin LTX on my 1994 GMT400 Chevy Blazer Silverado 2-door 5.7 liter. Never lost grip. Ok, TWICE I lost grip out of 8 years. Total rainstorm going down the road hit some screwed up railroad tracks wrong and got a little bump steer scare. Second time was a horrible slush storm that got real slick and I couldn't get up an unplowed steep hill without a running start. But they were good and well past acceptable tread by then.

ChrisCosta416

Just to not get everyone confused the jokes about overlanding are just jokes. I was mainly talking about folks who immediately throw good tires away when buying a new 4wd (as I was one of those)

I posted this to the Overland USA Facebook page and it DID NOT go well. So many folks were upset and hurt.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'm triggered. How dare you post this!

I enjoyed my Michelin LTX AT tires on my old truck, they really do make a great tire. My dad has them on all of his vehicles. I never needed to air down and went all around North AZ. Worked well in the snow, rain and dirt. I don't fit in the category of people you are talking about because I have raptor take off wheels and they came from factory with BFG AT lol. Win for me!

ChrisCosta416

I'm triggered. How dare you post this!

I enjoyed my Michelin LTX AT tires on my old truck, they really do make a great tire. My dad has them on all of his vehicles. I never needed to air down and went all around North AZ. Worked well in the snow, rain and dirt. I don't fit in the category of people you are talking about because I have raptor take off wheels and they came from factory with BFG AT lol. Win for me!
Jelly, those K02s are great!

rruff

Explorer
I agree that most ATs are more about style than function. As an alternative to the Michelins, have a look at the Nitto Dura Grappler. Noticed the 305/70r18 size (actually 35.3x12.8) is $299/ea at Walmart with 90 day returns.

DURA%20GRAPPLER_z.jpg

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
it's funny you bring this up. They are actually fantastic, especially in the ice and snow. Next time I get tires for my fake patrol, it'll be a set of these.

FWIW, I'm on my second set of Chinese SL369's ("Westlake" or "Goodride") in 235/85/16 on my 105 LandCruiser. Quiet, grippy, zero problems with sharp rocks, even wear, good price (though second set was much pricier - might be a result of people starting to buy them more?). Goodyear's and other "reputable brands" around here are made in Indonesia, and after seeing the huge gash my kid's 4 year old Goodyear developed on the inside sidewall for no reason whatsoever (old Toyota Corolla, street use only!) I have lost confidence in brand names. Why pay 3x the price to get something you can't trust?? SL369.JPG

gopherslayer

I agree that most ATs are more about style than function. As an alternative to the Michelins, have a look at the Nitto Dura Grappler. Noticed the 305/70r18 size (actually 35.3x12.8) is $299/ea at Walmart with 90 day returns.

DURA%20GRAPPLER_z.jpg

I had a set of these in a different size on my 2wd 2500 Yukon XL and they were great in the snow and ice. Never once did I wish it was 4wd because the traction was that good with the heavy beast. They Wear really nice as well. Thinking on getting a set for my camper pulling truck.

I’m running these on my Chevy 2500HD, 265/75-16 LT-E. They replaced a set of Toyo AT2s which were great tires but oh so noisy at 40k miles. I also threw a set on my wife’s Suburban. So far so good, I’ll report back on how they do on full size vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior