So if you had to purchase a trailer...

gearguywb

Explorer
Long story (sorry :))

A year and a half ago I sold my Kimberley like a knucklehead and unfortunately the buyer forgot the "if you sell it please give me first dibs on it" part, so I find myself looking for a trailer.

There are two of us and a DOG (that is in charge). Love the small expedition trailers but really does not suit our needs. We would primarily use it for long weekends mountain biking, etc. We do plan a move back to Colorado but it may be a few years, and there one of the primary purposes would be living space while elk hunting.

We have looked at some of the Starcraft (and other) pop ups but the drawback for us is the lack of accessible storage when closed. We would end up setting the trailer up to pack it prior to the trip and then taking it back down a gain. A bit of a hassle.

We have looked online at the Casita and seems like it might be a good compromise but have never seen one in person.

So...any suggestions? Thanks!

captblack

SE Expedition Society
Look at a Jumping Jack or maybe a Haultent. Both have a good bit of storage on top - only headache is you have to unload that stuff to open them up.

I have a JJ and it has plenty of room and makes a pretty slick package.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What's your weight limit and price range?

I saw a couple interesting units at a local RV shop recently that I could've lived with if I could tow closer to 3000 pounds. One had a king bed on a platform that raised to the ceiling so you could transport a quad or pair of bikes underneath. Put that outside, lower the bed, and it was a VERY comfy trailer with a nice kitchen, bath, and a shower that was large enough for even me.
I really gave it a look...

gearguywb

Explorer
I will be towing with the 100 series so my self imposed limit is 4k, which should open up a lot of possibilities.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Moody had his Kamparoo listed for sale here about a month ago or so...but I don't see it listed. Might give him a PM to inquire about the status.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
That camper has been sold. Not to me :(

That was a good deal. I thought about it myself...and if I had another slot to my garage I would have pulled it back to Reno ;-). Its, IMO, the best deal out there right now...especially for $3500.

ThomD

Explorer
What's your weight limit and price range?

I saw a couple interesting units at a local RV shop recently that I could've lived with if I could tow closer to 3000 pounds. One had a king bed on a platform that raised to the ceiling so you could transport a quad or pair of bikes underneath. Put that outside, lower the bed, and it was a VERY comfy trailer with a nice kitchen, bath, and a shower that was large enough for even me.
I really gave it a look...

Do you have a manufacturer's name on those?

ddog45

Adventurer
I know adventure trailers dont offer much for a big family but I love ours. Our two kids will be moving into their own tent this summer and the wife and I will be back to sleeping in comfort. Most of the people we travel with have ground tents and I am still able to get my small nimble trailer into most backcountry camping spots. I would love a bigger camper but for right now I dont want to park on a slab and listen to someone else's kids or even worse a generator.
I would first decide where you want to camp then pick a suitable trailer. My trailer will go anywhere that my 100 series can go and it does great.

Romer

Adventurer
I am glad the buyer didn't listen to you:wings:

By the way its nice and warm in my Garage with a few additions; Propane heater from AT, Engle Frig and dual batteries

I am very happy with it.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Shoot, couldn't you just mount that basket with tent on the rack of an offroad boxed trailer like the M101's. Lengthen the supports and add a ladder and you have a family sized RTT.

Yes, a $4000 family-sized RTT ;)

That's actually a great idea btw :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears