SO, school me - I am a Toyota guy, with a problem....

DCGibbs

Observer
Hello All,
My wife and I, bought a new to use 2019 FORD E-350, Thor Motorhome. We are planning 6 months of travels and need to tow a dinghy vehicle. The 2018 Tacoma TRD-Offroad, and the 1988 62 Series wagon would need to be trailered. [Which would be a pain] Second option is to purchase a Dinghy Towable. JEEP Wranglers are listed in the top 10, as is the Honda CR-V. Seeking input and thoughts?
Thanks
David Gibbs, Boise, ID

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Hello All,
My wife and I, bought a new to use 2019 FORD E-350, Thor Motorhome. We are planning 6 months of travels and need to tow a dinghy vehicle. The 2018 Tacoma TRD-Offroad, and the 1988 62 Series wagon would need to be trailered. [Which would be a pain] Second option is to purchase a Dinghy Towable. JEEP Wranglers are listed in the top 10, as is the Honda CR-V. Seeking input and thoughts?
Thanks
David Gibbs, Boise, ID
Whats the towing rating on that? Proabably <10kibs.
I am not sure how happy it will be towing. And whats your use plan? Its probably not super long right?

4runnerteq

Explorer
You could do a drive shaft disconnect on the Taco most likely. https://torkliftcentral.com/remco-driveshaft-disconnect Our 4th gen 4runner was a dinghy to someone before we bought it. It had that set up on it. It did cause a slight driveline vibe at highway speed. I eventually replaced the shaft to get rid of it as we didn’t need the disconnect. The lever though is still in the vehicle.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Tons of info out there on dingys. If you plan to do any type of off-road exploring then a Jeep would be your best bet. A bone stock 2-door Jeep with the old in-line 6 and manual trans would be bomb proof for dragging behind an RV. If you can find a good used Sidekick or Samurai they are so light you don't even know your towing them.
I bought this 94 Samurai in 2003 and have put over 100k miles of flat towing on it behind 3 RV's and 1 truck. It's been to all three coasts, most flyover states and done most of the Colorado high passes and Moab trails. All stock except for 2 inch lift. Been super reliable and capable. It now lives in the Rockies and is my wifes "run to town" snow vehicle.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

IMG_5982.jpgIMG_5983.jpgIMG_5991.jpgIMG_6046.jpg

ITTOG

Well, if you want something bombproof that is new, then the only choice is the CRV. If you don't mind the TOAD being in the shop at times then the Jeep would work for you. Obviously the Jeep will be better for off roading though.

Moyshe Kapoyer

Hello All,
Thanks
David Gibbs, Boise, ID

Out of those, I'd go with he Honda CRV.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Older Ranger with flat tow option. Ford parts may still have the kit available if you can’t find a truck with it installed
Funny thing, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Toyota fanboy now but I started many years ago with a 4WD Ranger. It wasn't the most reliable of trucks. Yet I was, still am honestly, kind of a Ford truck person. But in any case I jumped ship and was a long time 1991 Toyota owner, then 2008 and all around Toyota person for 25 years now.

But one thing I hated about that old Ranger was the electronic t-case actuator. It's one thing I hate on my current 2008 Tacoma. And it's not so much the lack of mechanical actuator (not insignificant) but lack of neutral, too.

Well, short story long, your comment got me to web searching and I found this nugget. There's a way to put current Fords in neutral specifically to flat tow so it might not be necessary to find a decent old Ranger and suitable parts kit.

It makes sense for at least one company to want a piece of that flat tow 4WD market Jeep has. Gotta tip the hat to Ford for realizing that.

Last edited:

DCGibbs

Observer
Tons of info out there on dingys. If you plan to do any type of off-road exploring then a Jeep would be your best bet. A bone stock 2-door Jeep with the old in-line 6 and manual trans would be bomb proof for dragging behind an RV. If you can find a good used Sidekick or Samurai they are so light you don't even know your towing them.
I bought this 94 Samurai in 2003 and have put over 100k miles of flat towing on it behind 3 RV's and 1 truck. It's been to all three coasts, most flyover states and done most of the Colorado high passes and Moab trails. All stock except for 2 inch lift. Been super reliable and capable. It now lives in the Rockies and is my wifes "run to town" snow vehicle.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

View attachment 808237View attachment 808238View attachment 808239View attachment 808240
Do You still have that Iron Pig?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger