So, what's in your Recovery Bag?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I'm finishing up the design on one of my new gear bags and was curious what experienced EP members carry in their Recovery Bags? I was lucky enough get to observe and learn what the pros carry down at the I4WDTA last year but, I'd love to hear what you find useful and carry. Thanks!

IMG_3118.jpeg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Mine is constantly changing because I am always developing new gear and ideas, but the basics are.

'Recovery' is a pretty broad thing for me.

-Some way to air the tires down (and back up). Airing down is usually the first thing I try in most situations.

-Shovel

-Kinetic Recovery Rope. Something about 25' long x 7/8 or 1" diameter lately.

-At least a half dozen misc soft shackles that aren't married to specific gear

-2, maybe 3 ( cause I was playing with backwards winching the other day ), of my Recovery Ring Packages. My new recovery rings allow a lot of new advanced techniques like double rigging.

-For a receiver hitch based recovery point, I use one of my SSRA devices with a dedicated pre-rigged soft shackle. All my vehicles are 2.0 hitch, but I usually have a separate 2.5 unit just in case....or a sleeve adapter. A 2.5 to 3.0 adapter is also nice to have. Don't forget a spare hitch pin or two.

-Two ( or more) 3" wide by 8' long Flat Straps. They work great for Tree Straps, building independent leg bridles, or a short tow strap system on the trail along with lots of other uses.

-At least one 8400lb (lift) rated endless sling. The 6 footers are pretty useful when you need to go around something a bit sharper than normal. I like how the load bearing inner is well protected by the outer sheath. Cheap to replace when they get damaged. Can also be looped over large rocks or stumps.

-Winch extension. Usually something about 100' long, but I have a few different options these days to experiment with.

-One hard shackle in most of the common sizes just in case I have to rig to a hard edge existing recovery point on another vehicle.

-Gloves are kept handy in the glove box or center console.
-Winch controller is where I can reach it from the drivers seat

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have different bags for different things. Along with my tools, I have a recovery strap, dog bone and two shackles behind my front seat. Easy to get to for a quick recovery.

In the back, are another recovery strap, dog bone, shackles, tree saver, snatch block and winch extension.
I also have a easy to grab bag with tire plug kit and tire repair stuff.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have a large ARB recovery bag with a 3", 30k lbs 30 foot strap, multiple 7/8" shackles, several soft shackles, a snatchblock, a tree saver strap, high visibility work gloves (for spotting after the inevitable rock stacking and rigging for a recovery), and a spare hitch pin with cotter pin. I used to carry a SPOT Messenger unit in that bag too, but I don't carry one of those anymore.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Shovel
jack
gloves
snatch strap
(Crosby) shackles
winch extension strap
snatch block
tree saver
drag chain
winch controler
chain saw (at least one in the convoy)
snow chains (winter trips)

In addition to a full compliment of tools, air compressor, plug kit, and sidewall patch kit.

Cheers

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Side story:

Good choice to have "solid" bottles! This summer I learned a wet lesson....On our annual AdvMotoCamp runs I bring some bourbon and wine to ward off the chilly nights. Anyway, I have a couple of small boxes of wine in my camp kitchen. Well, I managed to dump the bike on the side of the camp kitchen. No big deal it happens......well, hours later we set-up camp and low and behold those water proof panniers also keeps the wet stuff inside! All my food, camp kitchen were covered in a lovely and buttery Chardonnay due to the fall smashing and exploding the "boxed wine"! Lesson learned, only hard containers from now on!IMG_6142.jpg

colodak

Adventurer
This post actually made me start updating my recovery equipment. Unfortunately, due to a really screwy work schedule, I don't get out as much as I want, only about twice a year, but for other situations it's still good to carry the equipment. I'm actually watching to see what various companies and stores have on sale post Christmas so I can update or replace some things, and purchase new of others.

At present, I carry:

2 sets of Treadpro boards

1/2" Soft shackle

3/4" hard shackle

Factor 55 hitch hitchlink (this actually replaces a 30 yr old hitchlink a friend and I made from some 2" square 1/8" thick steel tubing that a friend made up. He worked for a steel fab company, they did a lot of in-house moving and relocating of heavy machinery, they had a ton of shackles floating around and square steel tube, so they decided to make up a bunch of recovery points for a couple of the guys who were part of Mile HI Jeep Club. They were kind of overbuilt, using a 1" pin shackle. Recently though, I noticed that the tubing was deforming around the shackle, so it's time to replace it)

2" recovery strap

Rated recovery points frame bolted front and rear

Hi-Lift and accessories

Various winch accessories carried over from my last vehicle which had a winch

Hnoroian

Observer
Too much, and mostly never use either.

Always have a shovel, 3”x30’ strap and shackles. Would like to go kinetic but can’t justify the cost right now.

gatorgrizz27

In the vehicle all the time, fortunately it fits under the folded third row seat.

ARB Snatch strap, soft shackle, several sized hard shackles, receiver shackle for other vehicle, gloves, snatch block, tree saver, hobbit shovel, 2x air hoses, air chuck/gauge, air down tool, and under hood compressor.

I also carry a NOCO jumper pack, Dewalt cordless chainsaw, 2 way radios, and then a tool roll plus gorilla tape, baling wire, and epoxy putty.

Have a set of traction boards I throw in when we are intentionally going off roading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior