So yeah, I have a trailer now...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
It came with my new house. :) it's about 4 feet by about 8-9' with removable expanded steel sides. looks a lot like a jumping jack, actually.

I'll post up a few pictures when I get a chance.

It definitely needs a bit of tlc, but nothing that keeps it from being very usable. I'm thinking about simply making it able to be loaded full of camping gear, firewood, etc and then topped with our thule loadbox to keep the jeep's roof clear.

It rolls on normal car-sized 15" rims (has pretty awesome hubcaps actually) and uses small leaf springs for suspension. My friend, the previous owner, told me that he's really loaded the thing down with gear/furniture/supplies and it still tows very well. I've loaded it with proabably about 500lbs worth of stuff, and I couldn't even tell it was behind me for the most part.

It's got a very stout frame, a short tongue that'll need to be lengthened a bit, and while I'm at it, I'll probably add an articulating or pintle type mount. I came with a good spare, some simple jerry/water can mounts, and a nice area near the tongue for some outside storage (propane, etc)

I'm deifinitely open to suggestions from those of you who've been trailering for a while now. I know I'll probably have some "jeep with trailer" type questions. :)

mudbutt

Explorer
Pics or it's all a lie......

I'll be watching this one.... What you describe sounds EXACTLY like the one I have in my driveway (minus the removable sides).....

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice. As a new home owner you will want the trailer to be dual purpose. Camping one weekend and hauling prunings or whatever the next.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Nice. As a new home owner you will want the trailer to be dual purpose. Camping one weekend and hauling prunings or whatever the next.

Yup, that's the plan! You know me well. :)

My wife would ********** me if I took our yard clippings trailer away. lol.

I'm smitten that it rolls as well as it does while possessing very stout underpinnings...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Here's a few cell phone pics from this morning.
trailer2.jpg

trailer.jpg

As I said, this trailer rolls VERY well, and if we need to move it, we just grab a corner or onto the jack post, and give it a gentle tug. I like that i'd be able to add some longer leaf springs and new mounts if I wanted it to sit a bit higher. The spare tire mount is right above one of the jerry can mounts, which I don't quite understand, but either one could be easily moved and re-attached.

I'm thinking that what I'll do first is remove and store the "utility sides". Then maybe I'll use the same pockets as a jig of sorts to start building a lid that will carry a set of thule bars that we can use for kayaks/bikes/thule box, etc. Probably take my time and build that out of 1x or 2x square stock and sheetmetal. Something that I can put on, pin to the trailer, but then be able to "pull of" when needed.

It has a rudimentary tailgate, but I think I'd definitely like to make it hinged and lockable, and possibly put some gas struts on the lid for access.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
It has nothing but surface corrosion, so I'm thinking I'll probably just hit it with a sanding block, and then brush on some heavy duty rustoleum oil-based enamel. I'll Probably go with white or tan.

mudbutt

Explorer
Nice..... Remove the wood sides, lift it about 6-8 inches, paint it red and it would look just like the one in my driveway...

I like the dual purpose idea.... I've been tossing around the idea of making a slide in unit for camping so I can remove it and still haul bikes and or quads.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Nice..... Remove the wood sides, lift it about 6-8 inches, paint it red and it would look just like the one in my driveway...

I like the dual purpose idea.... I've been tossing around the idea of making a slide in unit for camping so I can remove it and still haul bikes and or quads.

Yeah, I was actually considering slide-in campers a few nights ago. Never really found much info on actual weights, though.

Cool idea, in theory, IMO. leave the camper on it's supports until your trip, then just walk the trailer back underneath it, lower the camper, secure it, and go. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12