So you want a lightweight adventure moto?

Scott Brady

Founder
A great article from Scooter Anderson. I first met Scooter at Outdoor Retailer four years ago when we had two KTM950 parked nose to nose (and illegally).

Scooter is a genuine adventurer and exceptional rider. Look for more editorial from him soon.

So You Want a Lightweight Adventure Motorcycle?

IMGP2317.JPG

Do you have a lightweight ADV Moto? Lets see it!

Nice write up! I'm really thinking the new WR250R is the ideal bike for me and can't wait to get one. Second to that is the KTM640ADV.

sandalscout

Adventurer
While not having the power, torque, speed, or stock suspension capabilites of either a Husaberg 570 or even a WR250R, I have been very happy with my Xt250. Its got enough power for me (a noob to motorcycles, especially offroad), enough speed to keep me safe in traffic and a top-speed cap that keeps me off the interstate (and presumably safer). It's dead simple to work on, has a proven track record coming from a bomb-proof family of bikes, and enough of an aftermarket and support structure online to find just about everything I need for my own adventures.

I have no serioud travels on it beyond one day at a time, but have begun planning and prepping for multi-day trips, including one I anticipate this summer that will be 4 days on pavement, and 2 off.

Scooter has a very interesting approach to some aspects of long-distance travel. I wouldn't do all of them myself, but huge props to thinking outside the box... or outside the water jug???

Here's mine:

2010-08-29111824.jpg

chp-sk8

Adventurer
creative!

This guys is got this bike dialed in for sure. It is good to see some Burg bikes getting some press. I think this article will help open the eyes of some sceptics...these bike are great machines.

EMrider

Explorer
This guys is got this bike dialed in for sure. It is good to see some Burg bikes getting some press. I think this article will help open the eyes of some sceptics...these bike are great machines.

Very interesting.

IIRC, Bergs combine my two favorite off-road motorcycle characteristics:
1) Short stroke motor
2) Wide ratio tranny

I've owned many bikes with #1 (Husky) or #2 (KTM EXC, XR), but always wanted one bike with both.

I'm not riding much these days and will rely on the trusty xr400 as my 'adventure' bike. But when the time comes for a new bike, I'd like to check out a Berg.
R

I'm not riding much these days and will rely on the trusty xr400 as my 'adventure' bike. But when the time comes for a new bike, I'd like to check out a Berg.
R

XR400 is awesome too!
9031_541297538851_62002887_31871871_7376826_n.jpg

Did a trip in Mexico on mine. Acerbis 5.8gal tank, dirtbagz, etc.
Came home, swapped tanks, came in 2nd at an enduro.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
KTM 450 XCW. Fabulous on the wide open desert but we'll see how it does lightly laden with a bit of gear. In the planning stages to do a 'converse' of Utah, corner to corner on dirt. Still working through the logisitc of fuel but the trip is a ways out so we should have a way to figure it.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
That is cool and I love the utility of it. But this is a little ridiculous, particularly on a Husaburg. I love his approach to holding additional oil though...

IMGP0644.JPG

The best approach is a 6.6 gallon tank (KTM 250/450/520 - all the same weight, or a 400 like mentioned above) and maybe a smaller aux tank too...

alaskaboy

Observer
If the 570 had a subframe worthy of bags, it would indeed be the bomb. The aesthetics of the fender jug are a little hard to stomach, let alone steer if heavy laden.

Scott Brady

Founder
KTM 450 XCW. Fabulous on the wide open desert but we'll see how it does lightly laden with a bit of gear. In the planning stages to do a 'converse' of Utah, corner to corner on dirt. Still working through the logisitc of fuel but the trip is a ways out so we should have a way to figure it.

I like the sound of this Kurt ;)

Paladin

Banned
If the 570 had a subframe worthy of bags, it would indeed be the bomb. The aesthetics of the fender jug are a little hard to stomach, let alone steer if heavy laden.

Yeah, I just...

The frame oil is a good idea. Water in the swingarm is dubious (unsprung weight?) The container on the front is just an abomination. Not just from an aesthetics standpoint either.

Maybe I can put a RTT on a YZ450 somehow. :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior