So you want to replace or are thinking about replacing your AHC Hydraulic Accumulator globes for your LX570 or ROW Land Cruiser 200...

ChrisCosta416

I really need to do a build thread like I did for my Montero...

Hey all! First post in the Land Cruiser section!

For those of you who have a LX570 or a ROW Land Cruiser 200 I wanted to talk about replacing the AHC globes and what a great improvement it made in ride and handling!

I think that the Hydraulic suspension on the LX is such an underrated feature on and off-road. It is a remarkable OE suspension setup capable of so much but I feel everyone sleeps on it (at least on Expo)

I finally got around to replacing all my AHC hydraulic accumulator globes on my 2011 LX

My 2011 LX has 185k miles, I bought it at 165K and started to wheel it since I bought early last year.

I decided to replace the globes because over the past few months the ride got harsher and driving at high speeds felt uncontrolled or loose at times. Going over bumps and potholes felt horrible not matter if I was on 20s, AT E loads, C loads or even these Michelin Defenders. Comfort and Sport felt a little different but not by much and I found myself in Spot more often because the ride felt more controlled around town.

Thankfully replacing these globes and flushing fluid completely until clean fluid comes out made a significant increase in ride and handling. I would say its a day and night difference. Bumps feel smoother and I can corner in a more controlled manner. Driving on the freeway and around town felt like a new set of tuned shocks or a newer LX :)

The AHC was serviced at 80k miles prior to my ownership and then I took it to a Lexus dealer to have them flush the fluid at 170k. Highly doubt they used 2 cans they quoted me to flush the fluid.

When I did my initial flush to relieve pressure, fluid was dark and it appeared I have some air in the system.

All 4 globes I pulled did not have a collapsed diaphragm and looked OK.

After replacing all 4 globes I followed the bleed procedure outlined in the video linked below.

(this is a great video and it really helped me feel confident in doing this job)

The bleed procedure in the video however did not work for me. The truck threw an AHC error on the dash that I was not able to clear code or error by using the process. The suspension would not go up or down. I plugged in techstream and pulled code DTC C1763 (abnormal pump motor oil pressure).

My first assumption was a blockage and that I introduced or shook up dirty fluid that is blocking a line, but I then proceeded to do the OEM bleeding procedure outlined in the FSM which states to

- Fill up reservoir (I filled it up to the top)
- Bleed Front Driver side
- Bleed Rear Passenger
- Bleed Front Passenger
- Bleed Rear Driver

• Check fluid levels and if done correctly you should not have to open up the reservoir again.
I used 2 and a half cans of Fluid (I spilled some) and I have completely flushed all the old dirty fluid out!

I did this a couple times leaving the car off at N and I was able to bleed out all the air bubbles and the codes are now gone (for good I hope) Pressure in Techstream looks good.

Here is a good video that outlines how to replace the globes, it is very easy. I pretty much followed it up to the bleed procedure.

And another on AHC

Also, I learned almost all this stuff on ih8mud, just sharing to Expo now!

337859310_1740443163024440_1222667955128045486_n.jpg
IMG_5423.JPG
IMG_6704.JPG
IMG_6702.PNG
IMG_6707 (1).JPG
IMG_6700.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior