Sock preference

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I buy my socks at Brooks Brothers and try to get a matching pair to the sweater vest I am buying. Other than that, I buy the ARB socks 'cause they are what Chuck Norris wears when he kicks azz.

CCH

Adventurer
I have a lot of Smartwool, but haven't found more bang for the buck than the merino socks at Sam's Club. All wool is not created equal, but it is hard to beat good merino fo any base layer.

shogun

Adventurer
REI brand is a design ripoff that puts others out of business because they are cheaper, not better.

Smartwool is OK, just OK. They still dont last very long, I wouldnt rely on them for any serious use, around town is OK..

The best I have found are Bridgedales. They last three years, guaranteed (if you dont buy the seconds from sierra trading), and I can hole a sock pretty quickly. They dont get smelly after a few days and they maintain their loft well. I'd bet my life on them, uh, I have.

lam396

Adventurer
I have been wearing Darn Tough socks and they have held up for a year under pretty hard use. Made in the US and have a lifetime guarantee. They have lasted much longer than my smartwool socks.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Wigwam wool socks here. All the other brands I have tried Smartwool, Bridgedale, and Darn Tough make a good product but up here they are at least $5 more per pair. I have had less than good experiences with REI and Patagonia socks with them wearing out quickly. Just my $0.02

Newtac11

Observer
I've worn the wigwam, smart wool, and REI, but I decided on Lorpen.
My heals make quick work of cotton socks, and wool socks last much longer for me, but over the past year, I have been switching between 4 pair of Lorpen T2W's. Wearing them over and over, every three days is wash day. I wear them when hiking in Colorado, and in the office in Galveston. They still feel like the day I bought them. Its a personal preference, but they are worth a shot.

I bought them at a sportsmens warehouse, but this liknk popped up when i did a quick google search http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Lorpen_Socks_s/39.htm

bobholthaus

Observer
Patagonia makes killer socks. Last me for years. Three different weights (which are color coded, which is nice). I highly recommend them.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Used to wear the wigwam socks but I switched to smart wool and they've been nothing but good to me. I've got a couple of pairs of the rei brand also and they've held up just as well.

htchmn

Observer
Filson Merino Wool Primaloft, these are a midweight compression over the calf sock, while pricey these socks last, I bought my first pair to replace
the Barbour Military socks which were discontinued to wear as my duty socks at the fire dept. I used one pair every day on duty for one year (and yes
I did wash them) at the end of that year they showed very little wear and are now the only socks I wear.

dms1

Explorer
I like the Sams Club wool socks as well, they are called Merino Wool Multi Sport Hiker and are 75% Merino Wool, 24% Nylon and 1% Lycra. If i'm not wearing these I use synthetic sports socks, I gave up wearing cotton socks a couple of years ago.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll order close to 6,000 pairs of socks for the store in a year. We carry Fox River, Smartwool, Icebreaker, Darn Tough, Injinji (weird), and a couple others. Based on customer feedback, as well as our personal experience, the Darn Tough socks seem to earn the most fans. Family owned, guaranteed for life, they're also just great socks. I've also become a fan of Fits socks, although their selection is a little small. The only Smartwool sock I like to wear anymore is the PhD line of socks. They're unique as they wrap the lycra yarns around the wool yarns prior to weaving the sock instead of just weaving lycra and wool together. That's why the regular SW socks poop out too easily.

The sock we see come back most often with premature failures are Fox River socks. The sock we hear most fit complaints about are Wigwam.

REI brand is a design ripoff that puts others out of business because they are cheaper, not better.

Smartwool is OK, just OK. They still dont last very long, I wouldnt rely on them for any serious use, around town is OK..

The best I have found are Bridgedales. They last three years, guaranteed (if you dont buy the seconds from sierra trading), and I can hole a sock pretty quickly. They dont get smelly after a few days and they maintain their loft well. I'd bet my life on them, uh, I have.

Dang how long you need them to last? I started wearing smartwool socks 8 years ago bought 5 sets. And just recently (couple months) started wearing some new sets. I still wear the old ones to on occasion. There thin but no holes.

Containerized

Adventurer
Agree with shogun. Bridgedale are amazingly rugged. I bought half a dozen pairs for the house in Uganda and two pairs of my favourite Ecco boots.

Only one pair of socks (and neither pair of boots) wore out over 18 months of daily use (and hand washing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior