Sock preference

shogun

Adventurer
Dang how long you need them to last? I started wearing smartwool socks 8 years ago bought 5 sets. And just recently (couple months) started wearing some new sets. I still wear the old ones to on occasion. There thin but no holes.

I got pretty close to one year before the holes started. They would also get stinkey after a couple days and lose the loft. I do like the PHDs for daily use, but they are a bit hot.

I did a comparo on the bridgedales from sierra trading (which are seconds if you look real hard) and factory firsts. The seconds lasted about one year, the firsts did three years. When I spoke to the importer she mentioned that they have a three year guarantee. These were the "light hikers".

Bridgedale stopped making what I thought was the best light-duty sock in the world, the Ventum. This was an asymetrical sock, good padding on toes, heels and top of foot with thin, very breathable coolmax on arch, sides and upper. They said they stopped because REI started copying them and they were cheaper.

Everybody has different feet, and more importantly, different needs. An office worker can use a junk sock and think its great. I have a friend that used to run every day, several miles, with nothing but cheap walmart socks. He didnt care (but is very frugal) and I guess his feet didnt either. But then again, he just got a hip replaced. Most of my use was in hot to very hot climates, desert/mountainous terrain with gear, off trails.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Injinji socks are weird, but super comfortable. I got a couple pair to run in, as they were recommended to me for preventing blisters and hot spots. I liked them so much that I got a few more for hiking and general wear. They're kind of a pain to get on, but they're worth it.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My sales rep for Injinji is also my Exofficio rep and a backpacker with 40+ years on the trails. He encouraged me to take two pairs of Injinji socks on my last 60 mile backpack trip. I have to say, they did work nicely. We put in four very long days and my feet were pretty happy.

Bonked

Observer
Smartwool made me a convert to wool over other materials like cotton and even synthetics. I have worn them for hiking, biking, and just for having happy feet!

Recently, though, I came across Darn Tough socks. Guaranteed for life. The search is over!

My local bike shop now sells them.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Never really thought about this that much, I have some Patagonia pairs from Bass Pro, but I also wear my Army wool socks, use to them after years, cheap to replace, the only real problem is that they are all green!

85CUCV

Adventurer
Thorlo Light weight Hikers for summer
Thorlo Mountain climbers for winter (although I used them for summer wear for years and still love them)

(When I first discovered Thorlo's my job description included boots and pack)

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior