Softshell suggestions?

tombodad

Adventurer
In the market for a new softshell...
Have had both an REI One and a Columbia Titanium, liked both.
Any other suggestions? Good deals?
Brands I like are exofficio, marmot, mountain hardwear, etc etc etc

MotoDave

Explorer
I'm a huge fan of a company out of San Francisco called TAD Gear. I have the older version of their Stealth Hoodie, and its by far the best softshell I've owned. Very wind proof, its kept me comfortable with appropriate layering from a range of ~40 degrees to room temperatures.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I just bought two (and returned one).

I purchased:
Outdoor Research Logic

55210_001_s.jpg

Cloudveil FirsTurn.

10089775x1040138_zm

The OR is $50 less then the Cloudveil, but they are both high quality jackets. The Cloudveil has a hood, the OR does not. The Cloudveil has better sealing zippers and was also rated as 2010 gear of the year from Outside magazine.

Surprisingly, I kept the OR and returned the Cloudveil. For the price, the OR is simply great value and is a great fit (although an XL OR is the same as a large Cloudveil). I also decided that I didn't want a hood on my soft shell. I prefer toques in weather where I would wear a softshell anyways. Plus, the OR fits perfectly under my OR GoreTex shell.

Bottom line is the Cloudveil is probably a better jacket, but the OR suited me best.

Pete

climber-420

Adventurer
Working in a ski town defenitely has its perks. All my friends and co-workers use Marmot. The Exum Mountain Guides in Jackson Hole Wyoming use marmot,and is actually the location for Marmot's testing grounds. They have the best softshell hands down. I have personally used an Alchemy Jacket by Mountain Hardwear for the past 6-7 years. Great jacket,but could be better. The Marmot softshells shed precip,and wind better than any other brand i have tried. Just my 2 cents.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Arc'Terxy, Cloudveil, or Patagonia. I buy and wear a lot of gear and you these are my favorite brands. Guaranteed for life and great variety to choose from.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Arc'teryx has the most complete selection of softshells the industry has ever seen. They really defined that market early on. I have a few different Arc'teryx soft shells of varied levels of insulation and protection. Tough to beat. The OR jacket is pretty crude in my opinion.

Keep in mind, many of these companies are sourcing the actual fabrics from the same mills, so the material itself won't always be the quality driver. Fit and feature might be. With Marmot, Arc'teryx, Mt Hardwear and Patagonia, the level of product is pretty darn nice.

My new killer piece for the year is an Arc'teryx Atom MX jacket. I can't wait to go ice climbing with that piece.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Arc'teryx is awesome stuff. Made in Canada, super high quality and usually has a price point to reflect that. It's doesn't fit every body type though. It's definitely an "athletic cut". So a little tighter for us guys with so much to love we have handles. :elkgrin:

I had a jacket from them years and years ago before they went international. Loved it.

Pete

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
TAD Gear Stealth Hoodie 'Classic' (Made in the USA) $259

sh_f09_bkd2_650w_1.jpg

http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=510

Limited, occasional quantities available on the Classic because they're manufactured in small lots. They also have a 'Reloaded' version of this softshell that's imported, though I don't immediately know from where. The Classic is the best soft shell I've ever owned - LOVE it!

MotoDave

Explorer
Yeah, that's exactly the one I have. Good stuff, made by good guys.

Ive been wanting to pick up one of their Garage Jackets next time I am up in SF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman