Solar installation concerns

mudshark

I recently contacted the manufacturer of my Genius battery charger (hardwired into my van's 2 6V deep cycle batteries) to ask a question. In the course of getting information on using this charger with solar panels, the tech person informed me that it's not recommended that you charge your batteries from 2 sources at once (ex., solar panels and battery charger). I figured that I'd better remember to unplug my battery charger or turn off the inverter it would be plugged into, before hooking up my solar panels.
I also concluded that a switch to cut off the flow from the solar panels would be a good idea.
Then it occurred to me that those panel shouldn't be on when I'm driving either, since the interrupter switch will cause the alternator to start charging the deep cycle batteries once the van is running and the van's battery is topped off.
Is there some kind of switch that I can install inline with my solar panels to prevent them from sending a charge when the batteries are getting juice from a different source? The interrupter switch already takes care of the alternator as I understand it.
Electrical is black magic to me. Any advice or corrections of my understanding of things would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. John B

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Give your solar controller manufacture a call.
When my vehicle is running my solar controller let no solar power go to my batteries.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Same here on the controller in our motorhome. It blocks the panel output if another charge source is detected.

We have a large system - 7 panels feeding 6/145's and 2/305's batteries through a smart controller. This system has been running for 9 years with great results.

Look for a good controller and you will be fine.

Doug

craig333

Expedition Leader
I can't see why it would matter. My panel is continuously hooked up, never been a problem.

doug720

Expedition Leader
A smart controller limits the charging when the batteries are fully charged to keep them boiling and damaged. This is the same as a smart battery charger, etc. You want a good system that limits charging when not needed. The larger solar systems need good controllers.

mudshark

Actually, I failed to mention that I got a Blue Sky 25 Amp Blue Sky SB2512iX MPPT charge controller with the Grape Solar panels. So that should regulate the charging from the various sources?

oldnslow

Observer
No reason why you would need to disconnect your solar panels while driving. The regulator on your truck will not allow your batteries to be overcharged. Your solar charge controller will do the same. That is a top-notch charge controller, BTW.

I have been running solar on my RVs for years with the alternator and charge controller both feeding the batteries all day. No problem.

That tech who told you not to do that doesn't know much about batteries or battery charging or electricity in general. No surprise there. I once listened to a "tech" in an auto parts store tell a guy that a gel battery is the best type for his motorhome (its not, by far) and that the Optima battery he was selling is the best gel battery on the market (its not a gel battery, its an AGM battery).

mudshark

Would I be pushing the line to ask if anyone could sketch me out a diagram of how all this stuff should be wired up? I'm pretty much a newbie at this.
My set-up includes 2 Grape Solar panels on the roof, a Blue Sky 25 Amp Blue Sky SB2512iX MPPT charge controller, a Genius I battery charger to be mounted inline, an Eliminator (Canadian Tire house brand) 1000W pro sine inverter, 2 Interstate 6 volt deep cycle batteries in series, an interrupter switch and a standard type 12 volt battery under the hood.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mudshark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998