Solar newb help.

devin86

I am looking to setup I am looking to run my ideas for a solar power system for my truck camper buy a few more knowledgeable ppl below is what I am considering.

1ea S-GO160 Solar Panel Kit
http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_110_43/s-go160_solar_panel_kit.html

1ea TriStar MPPT 45 charge controller
http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar-mppt/

3ea Trojan 31-AGM 12V 110Ah AGM Battery
http://www.civicsolar.com/product/trojan-battery-company-410-0116

1ea Morningstar SureSine 300W inverter
http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/suresine/

I will plan to use Blue Sea disconnects and circuit breakers as well as high quality wire and terminals throughout the installation. Primarily I plan to run most of my loads 12Vdc right off of the batteries my loads are outlined below.

12Vdc Loads
Chargers for 2 iPhones and a Ipad
82qt ARB Fridge
2-3 low draw led lights

110V Loads
19" vizio TV

I am looking for input as to how I can supplement battery charging when I am near shore power as well as the reason for the large charge controller is I may eventually add a additional panel or two.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
For shore power I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GEN1-Waterproof-On-Board-Battery/dp/B003JSHQW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404687505&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+genius+10+amp

It stays plugged into the battery all the time and I just plug it into shore power went available. It charges my batteries and I can still run everything off of the 12 volt side while it charges up my batteries. I do make use of my Engel fridges 110 volt port too and have this switch over to 110vt also so that the batteries can charge faster. The charger and fridge share the same 110 volt hookup, so I plug in one cord and they are already hooked up. Hope that helps!

devin86

Thanks that looks like it would work well for me. I am pretty sure I can get by with one panel? Most of my trips will be only 2-3 days if they go beyond that there will be some type of shore power available.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
Yeah I have a similar load on my battery 110 AH. The biggest load your going to have though is that inverter. They draw a lot of power even when there is no load on them..... If you can get by with a laptop and a 12 volt native charger for it you'll be a lot better off load wise.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
That is a little high on the price. That is the same exact size panel as the Grape Solar 160W panel I just bought from Home Depot for $229. In fact you could get a 190W or even a 250W single panel for less. Mine didn't come with the extra cable or bracketry though.

Also from what I've been reading the extra money the MPPT controller is going to cost you you could buy a regular PWM (TS-45) and another panel and come out ahead.

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
For shore power I would consider replacing the Suresine inverter with a Magnum inverter charger : http://www.magnumenergy.com/products/MMSseries.htm
As far as adding panels goes fewer larger panels is better than more smaller panels from a price point (panels are the least expensive part of the system). You could even go with a high voltage panel (40 volt range). This will allow smaller cables to the controller. Get a good amp/hr meter such as a Trimetric, an amp hour meter with a shunt is the only way to monitor your battery level (apart from specific gravity). A volt meter is virtually useless for state of charge on a system in use.

devin86

Thanks I will shop around for some better deals on panels.

A few questions on the magnum inverter / chargers

1. will they charge the batteries on shore power with the inverter switched off as in the camper is being stored in the garage and the charger is keeping the batteries topped off.

2. I am assuming that I will still need a charge controller between the panels and battery.

3. will I need a disconnect between the solar charge controller and batteries when I am plugged into shore power and the magnum inverter is charging? Or can they both charge at the same time?

4. work has a pile of Alpha Cell 220 GLX batteries that are used what is the correct way to see if anybody are useable? Able to be brought back? Would be nice to get maby a few trips in on a set of them before buying new.

5. I see Magnum offers that inverter /charger in a 600w and 1200w version it looks like at no load the 600w uses .77 ADC and the 1200W uses 1.3 ADC but offers a Continuous output at 25° C: 70 ADC charging vs the 600w offering of Continuous output at 25° C: 30 ADC. Is there a reason for me to go with the larger unit I do not know if I will use the 1200W but there is only a $240 difference for twice the wattage.

devin86

Ok so I guess I was looking at modified sine wave instead of pure sine wave so it looks like I would be looking at a 1000w model is there only offering.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
When I got some used batteries from work I'd fully charge them, and record the voltage. Let them sit for a week and check the voltage again to see if they are self discharging..... then load test them with a 10 amp load for one hour and record the voltage again. Take the load off and let sit for an hour and check what the voltage has recovered to. Not perfect but it'll show if the battery is toast or not. My smart charger will also test for shorted and open cells and sulfated conditions.

Joe917

Explorer
1. check with magnum, but if you plug the unit in in the garage leave the inverter/charger on.
2. Yes you still need a charge controller for the solar.
3. Yes you need to be able to disconnect the charge controller, a fuse on each of the positive wires (in and out) will do it. The disconnect is there so you can disconnect the charge controller if you need to disconnect the battery. The charge controller can be damaged if connected to a panel without a battery connection. All your charging sources can be left connected, when the charge controller senses another charging source it will shut down.
4. Charge them, load test them.
5.Make sure you turn off any inverter not in use when dry camping. they all use power on standby. The charging ability of the unit is just as important as the inverter output, what are the bulk charging requirements of your house batteries? that may answer your question. I carry a couple of smaller inverters for small loads. Try to use 12 volts as much as possible as a power supply it is far more efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears