Solar panel affixed to hood?

joelwho

Adventurer
Hi guys, just saw this thread and thought Id throw this in. I found an old panel and controller in a custom van in the junkyard and thought Id connect it to my cranking battery just to keep it topped off. I dont remember the wattage but it was low, maybe 8-10w and the controller looks to be made in the 90s? but for a couple bucks I was willing t give it a try. The panel is about 12in square and rarely produces any glare. I mounted it directly to the hood but because of the frame has about an inch of air flow front to back. I was aprehensive to mount a panel to the hood but dont have a lot of space left to play with so it was a function over form decision. It works well and now that the proof of concept proved that this is something Ill do permanetly am considering a newer/updated system. Just my 2 cents! ; )
View attachment 342814

Outstanding! That's a valued 2 cents!

joelwho

Adventurer
FYI I went all in and mounted a panel to the hood. Solid as a rock. I just hope a rock doesn't hit it
b881817fdf008e1f2a484fc024e68d46.jpg
680686593b3f2c99c91a4f8cb439e65d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accrete

Explorer
x2
My old Mustang's factory hood scoop would reflect sunlight back at the windshield. It was annoying.
We had that experience in certain situations with the hood scoop on our TACO. Looked cool, but the reflection while driving west was too much at times.

Thom

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Whoever makes an 80-100w solar panel that conforms and looks like a hood blackout panel wins... a whole fresh market if you ask me.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Why didn't you guys just mount it on slides under the roof top tent on the rack. Slide solar panel out when needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joelwho

Adventurer
Why didn't you guys just mount it on slides under the roof top tent on the rack. Slide solar panel out when needed

My goal is to have the fridge powered 24/7. Not sure if that's possible, but that's the goal. We'll see how it works out

toyotech

Expedition Leader

My goal is to have the fridge powered 24/7. Not sure if that's possible, but that's the goal. We'll see how it works out

Is the fridge on its own battery/solar system? If not. When driving the battery gets charged. When camping. You slide the solar out.

joelwho

Adventurer
Is the fridge on its own battery/solar system? If not. When driving the battery gets charged. When camping. You slide the solar out.

Yes it's on it's own circuit. Panel/charge controller/battery.

Prior to the panel, the fridge was powered by the main battery, which worked fine as long as the truck was running. Once the the truck was off (sitting all day at work or overnight) and the battery dropped below a certain amperage, it would no longer power the fridge adequately. Hence now why I have i have a dedicated power source

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yes it's on it's own circuit. Panel/charge controller/battery.

Prior to the panel, the fridge was powered by the main battery, which worked fine as long as the truck was running. Once the the truck was off (sitting all day at work or overnight) and the battery dropped below a certain amperage, it would no longer power the fridge adequately. Hence now why I have i have a dedicated power source

Makes sense.

horukuru

I was thinking if we put the solar panel under the roof rack between the car roof, would it possible to get the amount of sun needed for charging?

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
joelwho - I just wanted to say that the photos you posted, of your rig on the previous page, are amazing! You got the lighting just right and they look professional. The rig looks great, too, but wow... nice job with the photo.

joelwho

Adventurer
joelwho - I just wanted to say that the photos you posted, of your rig on the previous page, are amazing! You got the lighting just right and they look professional. The rig looks great, too, but wow... nice job with the photo.

Thank you, sir! I appreciate the kind words

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12