Solar panel fuse, where to put it

Roktman

Hey guys , so I’ve got 2 x 200 watt Renogy panels mounted on my converted cargo trailer, they’ll be in “ parallel” going to a branch y connector then 10 awg to a wire gland and inside, ive Heard some folks install a 30 amp fuse right after the y connector? or should it be down by the Mppt or ?

86scotty

Cynic
Probably not a run of more than 10' or so from panels to controller, right? Put it anywhere, just make sure and put it somewhere. I prefer them in a cabinet right by the controller.

Also, unless you've bought it already, get a 30a breaker instead of a fuse. It's very doubtful that you'll ever trip/blow it but they are still a better way to go.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I suggest that it is more important to have protection near the battery on the cable from the battery to the controller.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Renogy recommends 3 fuses in your system:
  1. panels to controller,
  2. controller to battery,
  3. batter to distribution.
ABYC specifies battery fuse no more than 8" from battery.
Your controller manufacturer should recommend the size of fuse.

I prefer ANL fuses: they are faster acting, simpler, cheaper, simple to disconnect. I put mine inside, next to the controller; my fuse holders are not weather tight.
1fuse.jpg

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Hey guys , so I’ve got 2 x 200 watt Renogy panels mounted on my converted cargo trailer, they’ll be in “ parallel” going to a branch y connector then 10 awg to a wire gland and inside, ive Heard some folks install a 30 amp fuse right after the y connector? or should it be down by the Mppt or ?
If you want parallel advantage (partial shade performance) don't they have to be separate all the way to the controller?

oldnslow

Observer
If you want parallel advantage (partial shade performance) don't they have to be separate all the way to the controller?

No, they don't. From an electrical standpoint it doesn't really matter where the 2 panels are connected together unless you are running small wires and have to really watch voltage drops.

As for the solar fuses, I like to put them close to the controller. They only come into play if the controller goes bonkers and tries to dump the battery into the panels.

In both cases above, I'm referring to a smaller (<1000W) array and short distances like one would typically have in a vehicle or camper system. With large arrays, higher voltages, and long cable runs like you might have in a house or building solar system there are other considerations.

Last edited:

burleyman

I only know the panels I own. They all came with a blocking diode that prevents current flow backwards into the panel from the battery/charge controller. An added fuse provides extra protection, but a fuse is a resistor that can develop a voltage drop/loss, and is another connection to possibly cause problems.

Once, after seeing less than normal charging, the culprit was an overheated MC4 connector. I now void the warranty by cutting off the MC4 and replacing with Anderson connectors. Andersons allow placing a voltmeter probe inside for voltage measurements. An MC4 does not.

This is not to counter manufacturers or other users advice. To each their own.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
  1. panels to controller,
  2. controller to battery,
  3. battery to distribution. Same as I have, but make sure you do fuses. Cheaper than burning up your vehicle.

llamalander

An inline MC4 fuse is pretty handy and inexpensive--Not as easy to disable as a breaker (when you need someone to work on your vehicle), but reliable and simple to install.
Image 4-18-24 at 7.59 PM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior