solar panel isolator

tanuki.himself

Should i fit an isolator switch to my solar panels in the same way i have one to the battery so i can disconnect all power to the camper wiring for storage/maintenance? And if so should it go between the panels and the controller or between the controller and the rest of the wiring? My guess is between the panels and controller so that the controller is also isolated....

Ozjourney

Put a switch in, if you disconnect the battery you still might get volts from the solar.
Yes place the switch between the panels and the regulator as some regulators are 12/24v and need to see the battery to determine what the output is.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
How much power are you running? My simple 70W panel (would do 100W without hesitation) is wired with a Weatherpack connector. I can just unplug it if needed. Really simple disconnect.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Also, be mindful of the power-up procedures of your Solar controller. Most (all?) REQUIRE that you connect the controller to the battery FIRST, then Panels. If you can find a way to connect the panels with an open switch on the battery, then you run the risk of damaging the controller.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Also, be mindful of the power-up procedures of your Solar controller. Most (all?) REQUIRE that you connect the controller to the battery FIRST, then Panels. If you can find a way to connect the panels with an open switch on the battery, then you run the risk of damaging the controller.

A solar system is a bit like having a Windows PC...

Sure, they work. But they will need to be kicked or reset or brought down for maintenance or other reasons. Boot down and boot up correctly. Have breakers with switches.

Buy good breakers. Cry once. Guess how I know?

tanuki.himself

How much power are you running? My simple 70W panel (would do 100W without hesitation) is wired with a Weatherpack connector. I can just unplug it if needed. Really simple disconnect.
700 watts initially in 2 pairs of 12v panels in series, so putting 24v into the controller. If that proves insufficient I have space on the roof for another 350 watts....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears