solar panel question

I was at autozone today and they are selling solar panel for 39.99, are 2.4 watts with voltage regulator, I was planing to get one, I have one AGM on the back of my cap and is with isolator to my main battery, I only run some led light and a 600w power inverter and a electric fan that pull 0.7 amps, will this solar panel help, thank you

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Thats still insanely expensive with prices these days. $40/2.4=$16.6 per watt. (voltage regulator will most likey be china crap, better to spend a little more on a name brand regulator) Check out www.Solarblvd.com or ebay they have panels for a fraction of that price.

they have a 55 watt for $55 dollars, so $1 per watt. add in like $10 shipping.

Or if you wanted something smaller get this 20w panel for $30 + like $10 shipping still gets you around $2 a watt.

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Pane...20-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

Or the next best thing if you need more tha 4.5 amps

http://www.solarblvd.com/p635/Morni...,-12V-PWM-Charge-Controller/product_info.html

Then buy a solar charge controller from morning sun for like $30 and you be loving life :) Ive got this little guy which Is prob the best best for a small controller you can find. As long as your under 60watts. But them both from the side and save on shipping.

Ill be happy to answer any question you have so ask away.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
2.4 watts? That *might* keep a fully charged battery from self-discharge, but it's not enough to recharge.

If you run a 600w inverter for say 1 hour, that's 600 watt*hours. So you'd need 150w of solar to recharge with 4 hours of sun. Actually, you would need more since most solar panels only put out 80% of their rated power when they are hot. And they usually hot.

And batteries are not 100% efficient either, so really, if you draw out 600wh per day, then you would probably need 200w of solar to recharge with 4 hours of full, direct sunlight on the solar panel(s).

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
2.4 watts is less than .2 amps @ 12v

Thats not even good for a trickle charger. Its probably intended to do nothing more than keep a battery topped off.

madmax718

Explorer
Thats a trickle for a lawn mower starter/motor cycle. It will barely keep up with self discharge in the best of days.

Help? Yes. worth it? Not really.

madmax718

Explorer
The price and location would lead me to believe it is 2.4 watts. Most of them in that size are about the size of a good hogie sandwich, and made from amorphous cells.

my 5 watt trickle charger amorphous cell generates more power than my 7 watt mono crystalline behind auto glass at flat angles. Just something to consider when buying these things.

Didn't have time to go yesterday, so I went today and I was way of is a 2.4 watts

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372273110868.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372273110868.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998