Solar panel with RTT

jtakau

I am planning to upgrade my fridge (to compressor cooler, currently thinking either about Waeco CDF 25 or CFX 35/40), add second battery (in order to get ease of mind to keep fridge plugged overnight even though a compressor cooler should help with that anyway) and I am also thinking about possibility to add solar panel (to give possibility to stay couple of days in same location without risking the batteries).

At this point my plan is to get new ArkPak to serve as my secondary battery instead of installing a fixed double battery system so that I can move the setup from vehicle to another.

With that in mind, I am pondering two option for the solar panel (if I choose to go with them):

(i) Fasten the solar panel to my RTT (James Baroud Explorer Evolution). If this option is chosen, what would be best way to draw wiring? I would love to avoid making holes to the tent, if that could be avoided. Those who have this type of setup, do you have the panels connected during the drive and if yes, how, or is the best way just to plug the panels to the system once you have set camp in a sunny spot?

(ii) Have a detachable solar panel, which would be placed on position once in camp and plugged on the system. This would allow the panel to be directed towards the sun irrespective of the car’s direction and wiring would be easy to place as the panel would need to be set up at camp any way. The RTT has a space for the luggage bag on top of the tent, so I would most likely place the solar panel into the luggage bag or otherwise fixed to the same space and attached to the clips used to fix the luggage bag on place while travelling, so the panel would not really take additional space (we rarely use the luggage bag now).

Any recommendations and experience on how to set up the solar panel with a RTT?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Make it portable to chase the sun.
IMGP0178.JPG

Space may be a premium, but the solar panel has earned its place and warrants the space.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I went with a flexible panel mounted directly to the top. Set it, wire it, and forget about keep it simple. Spend your time out doing the things you went out for not messing with your equipment.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Make it portable to chase the sun.
IMGP0178.JPG

Space may be a premium, but the solar panel has earned its place and warrants the space.

×2.

Another benefit is not having to keep your truck/camper/trailer parked in the hot sun just to have your batteries charge.
Takes about 3-5 minutes to set up (set panel in sun, attach charge controller to battery, plug panel into CC).

campsetup2.jpg

spikemd

Explorer
Having the ability to put the panels in the sun while you stay in the shade is a definite benefit. But having something wired up already is convenient or you could chose a combination of both. There are some flexible flat weather resistant panels that could be permanently attached to the roof and then you could have supplemental portable panels.

This weekend, I saw many folks in our NorCal Land Rover club that have the Renology 100W briefcase panels that include a charge controller on the back to charge a dual battery system. They were moved throughout the day to catch the sun, but worked well. A few others, like myself, have Goal Zero products with portable power packs. We were camping in a shady tree area, so full sun was seldom possible.

A buddy stored his Renology in the space between the RTT and the rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12