Solar powered adventure trailer

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
This may be obvious, but what is the LOAD hookup for? Previously my fuse box/load was hooked directly to my batteries.

Should I now run the fuse box from the LOAD terminals of the Morningstar PS-15??? The included instructions are quite vague.

DinéMetalworks.com

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I'm not that familiar with the PS15 but load is normally design to control your DC stuff, it will shut off if the battery voltage gets too low.

These load terminals normally have a pretty low current rating so I've never used them, I just wire from the batteries. But if your loads are under the output's rating then no reason not to use it.

As for fuses, they should always be placed as near as possible to the source of the current, in this case the load output if you use it.

Previously my fuse box/load was hooked directly to my batteries.
That's what I've always done and I see no reason to change really. It depends on your loads, it may make sense to have non-critical stuff hanging off the load output but leave the fridge directly on the batteries.

If you have such a mix then everything needs to be fused but that can still be in the same physical fuse box.

Speaking of fuses, I've always had a large one (~150A but depends on your wire size) bolted directly to the plus terminal of the bank, you can't get any closer to the current source than that and it's saved my bacon at least twice.

_____
Rob

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
I'll run straight to the battery bank with my fuse box. It's only about 2.5' of wire, 8 AWG, anyway. I'm running 8 AWG, about 8', from my panels.

I haven't got a frige yet, but when I do I'll run it directly to the batteries as well.

Also, my batteries are 12v, in parallel, so I'm attaching my loads from the + and - at opposite ends of the series. I'm thinking that is right.

And my charge from the solar control as well as my alternator charge from the truck plug will go to will go to the + and - at opposite ends of the series.

Does it matter if the solar charge and alternator charge are hooked to the same battery terminals?

DinéMetalworks.com

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Does it matter if the solar charge and alternator charge are hooked to the same battery terminals?
Generally all charging sources can be connected together, however I believe MPPT regulators have trouble when their output is connected to another charger, I've not got one so can't verify but that's the goss on various forums. You have a PWM regulator so there are no issues that I'm aware of.

so I'm attaching my loads from the + and - at opposite ends of the series. I'm thinking that is right...charge from the truck plug will go to will go to the + and - at opposite ends of the series.
I know many people suggest this and it sort of sounds "right", I do hear more about this with Lithium batteries, not so much with lead acid. I've never bothered and connected wires to wherever was mechanically the best. With DC if the wires are large enough and the connections good (all relative to the currents involved) then one end of a wire is the same as another in this context. That said battery charging is a black art that I'm not all that privy to, I prefer electronics that doesn't involve chemistry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179