Solarex Solar Panel VLX53

TheJosh

Explorer
Solarex Vlx53

VLX Modules

VLX or "Value Line" modules share many of the characteristics of MSX industrial-grade modules, but are designed for commercial service. They meet all industry reliability and strength standards, and are the choice for applications where price is an overriding criterion. All but the VLX-80, the largest of the series, use Solarex's Multimount frame, which allows a module to be mounted from the back or sides. Solarex's Universal frame provides the additional cross-sectional strength demanded by the VLX-80.

Other features include:

Warranted to deliver at least 90% of guaranteed minimum power for 10 years
Large, versatile junction box with space to enclose regulator, diodes, series and parallel connections (VLX-80, -53, -32)
Exhaustive testing to CEC 503, IEC 1215, and IEEE 1262 standards, manufactured in our ISO 9001-certified facilities

(LxWxH) 36.9x19.8x0.9

Original Price $398

Asking $275 obo

all else needed is a solar controller to hook up

file-1399.jpg

file-1040.jpg

file-1096.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hey Josh!

They look to be used so it would be helpful to measure the open circuit voltage, the short circuit current, and the max current into a known resistive load, all in bright sunlight. Then you can get a sense of how they compare to new panels and make it easier for someone to decide to buy them. :) I'm guessing the model is a VLX-53 from what I have seen on the web.

TheJosh

Explorer
Hey Josh!

They look to be used so it would be helpful to measure the open circuit voltage, the short circuit current, and the max current into a known resistive load, all in bright sunlight. Then you can get a sense of how they compare to new panels and make it easier for someone to decide to buy them. :) I'm guessing the model is a VLX-53 from what I have seen on the web.

Thanks Jim!

How would I hook up the panel for each of those scenarios? (very new to solar)

I also have a battery in my garage I can use

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thanks Jim!

How would I hook up the panel for each of those scenarios? (very new to solar)

I also have a battery in my garage I can use

Open circuit voltage means just put your digital voltmeter across the leads of the solar panel and measure the max voltage in maximum sunlight. You would move the panel a bit to find the peak. No battery or anything else hooked to the solar panel.

Short circuit current means to use an ampmeter that handles at least 5 AMPs DC and put it straight across the solar panel terminals with nothing else connected, then point the solar panel into the sun and move it around to find the peak current.

For the last test you would want a 100 watt resistor at roughly 3 to 5 ohms. Put the solar panel and voltmeter across the resistor terminals and point the panel for peak voltage. Then put the ampmeter in series with the panel and resistor and measure the peak amps. Multiply amps times volts to see what sort of wattage the panel delivered to your load.

PS: here is a thread on brand new panels for comparison---http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69314-FYI-on-some-solar-panel-sales

teotwaki

Excelsior!
PS-PS: your panels are a nice size for charging a battery that runs a mid sized Engel/ARB/Norcold 45 quart fridge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78