SOLD 1996 Provan Tiger CX Turbo Diesel 4X4 5 Speed $29K

squeezer

Adventurer
summer07211.jpg

After years of ownership, hundreds of hours of work and thousands of miles of adventure its time to sell our beloved Tiger. (AKA "Tony")

Tony was born in 1996 with a 6.5 turbo diesel, NV4500 transmission, NP241 transfer case, and a 3.73 locking differential. The 6.5 has been extensively modified for increased performance, longevity, and economy. The engine benefits from an aftermarket intercooler, custom welded intake system, marine injectors, re-mapped ECM, PMD heat sink, calibrated fuel pump, and a full 4" exhaust. This is a very strong running diesel that has traveled 185K miles, with more than enough power for any situation. When driven easily it has returned 22MPG average over a 5K mile trip.

IMGP5859.jpg

The chassis has been upgraded with Rancho RS9000 shocks on all corners. A set of firestone air bags in the rear, and a custom heavy duty rear sway bar. It rides and handles very very well.

IMGP5892.jpg

The wheels are brand new hot forged Alcoas with 285-75/16 BFG All terrains, load range E of course. The spare is also brand new.

IMGP3778.jpg

The exterior is in reasonably good shape except for a wrinkle in the passenger side rear corner.

IMGP5927.jpg

IMGP5865.jpg

IMGP5864.jpg

IMGP3783.jpg

The coach has been carefully upgraded from below the Hickory flooring to the 160 watts of solar panels.

Carpet removed and subfloor sanded and sealed with west marine epoxy.
A layer of underfloor insulation was installed before the laminate was laid with every joint carefully glued.
The kitchen was completely rebuilt with a full custom cabinet, three new drawers, a custom extra deep stainless sink and a Corian counter top.

IMGP5915.jpg

IMGP5900.jpg

IMGP5878.jpg

The RV spec stove was removed and in its place is a full convection microwave and a high end single burner gas stove. The stove stores in a drawer above the oven when not in use. We went with this arrangement because 99% of the time we are cooking outside. I did not see the point of installing a $2K Wallace diesel cooktop and then using a Coleman camp stove... That being said the drawer above the oven was designed to the Wallace rough in dimensions so one could be easily installed.

IMGP5912.jpg

IMGP5914.jpg

The propain frodge was removed and a 12V compressor fridge was installed in its place. The fridge is surrounded by extra insulation and will run indefinitely off the solar and battery system. I have kept beer cold in the fridge for 5 weeks in the summer without ever plugging in starting up or draining the battery bank.

IMGP5898.jpg

Speaking of the electrical system... There are a pair of Trojan T105 Golf cart batteries in a custom built rack behind the rear axle. They are wired in series and then connected to a huge Xantrex inverter with 00 cables. The Xantrex 3000 has 3 stage charging, power sharing, a remote control panel, battery temperature compensation, surge protection/compensation, and a host of other options. It is big enough and cabled well enough to start and run the A/C and the microwave. The battery banks wouldn't last more than a few hours with the A/C on but the surge compensation lets the A/C be easily powered of a 1000 watt Honda generator. The switching and distribution is done by two Blue Sea panels, one for 12v and one for 120V. All wire connections have been crimped and then soldered.

IMGP5911.jpg

IMGP5913.jpg

IMGP5903.jpg

IMGP5909.jpg

The batteries can be charged by plugging in, the engine alternator, and by the solar panels. the solar panels are high quality BP Solar units with a high quality German made charge controller. the charge controller has dual outputs, a primary for the house bank and an isolated secondary for the starting batteries.

IMGP5887.jpg

IMGP5910.jpg

The water system is all new except for the holding tank. There is a new pressure sensing pump with filter, (eliminates the stutter of normal pumps), a stainless isotherm marine hot water heater, an outside shower system, and an ultra high quality single lever faucet. The system is laid out so the majority of the fittings and components are above an epoxy sealed "Water Box". The water box will capture any leak or fitting failure and let it safely drain out.

IMGP5918.jpg

IMGP5906.jpg

The coach has two double beds, the standard goucho bed on the main level and the over the cab bed. The cabover bed has a very comfortable plastic "box spring" an intermediate foam, and a memory foam topper. This is one of the most comfortable systems you can imagine.

IMGP5919.jpg

IMGP5896.jpg

Believe it or not this part of the bed system was re-purposed from an Earthroamer.

The drivers side of the coach body has allot going on. The front access door leads to the back of the fridge. There is a 120V plug here for running well pretty much whatever you want, and a few cubic feet of storage space. The next door over was custom built to fill in the vent/hatch where the standard RV water heater use to live. The drain for the water heater is here as well as the tempering and safety vales for the HW system. Next to that is the outside shower and then the Marine shore power plug. As an aside, if you have a camper of any kind (Expo or not) you owe it to yourself to get rid of the push the cord through the plastic door till something breaks scheme and use one of these. Dead simple to install and much much nicer to use.

The Tiger is in Portland Oregon, I am not able to accept any trades and the answer to the obvious question is right here...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Capable-416-Based-Unimog-Expedition-Motorhome

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

squeezer

Adventurer
More Info...

OK its time to add a bit more info.

Those who were paying attention have probably noticed that all the propane appliances, including the tank have been removed. The benefits of propane vs diesel vs butane, vs ???? is a topic some love to debate. For me is really very simple. I have carried the very clear image of a camping trailer with the side blown off around since I was about 8 years old. Was at a church camp meeting with my grandparents when somebody had a leak and an ignition source... Yes it was probably operator error or a maintenance issue but it was an awfully big boom and several people were seriously hurt.

So why the diatribe... ??? Well it comes down to this. I have not yet decided how to heat this thing. Hasn't been a problem to date as we take most of our trips in the summer but still. I intend to replace the current rooftop A/C unit (if it ever dies..) with one of the low profile heat pumps. That takes care of the plugged in heat source. The boon docking heating choice comes down to a Espar diesel hydronic boiler, or a Espar diesel Airtop heater. I have both units purchased and have space laid out for both. the Hydronic unit would sit on the frame where the propane tank used to be. The plumbing options are numerous. (With a dizzying array of combining: The Engine, hot water heater, any number of heater cores, freeze prevention loops in holding tanks, underfloor loops in the shower.) And remember with a hydronic system the engine is also a source of heat. The Airtop wouldn't do quite as much but also wouldn't take a degree in mechanical Engineering to design and operate. And as a final option some guys on the board swear by the catalytic heaters as the way to go... I will try an accommodate the new owners wishes in this department keeping in mind that I would really like to keep the hydronic system for campermog...

tikiben

I'm right here in Portland and I am very much interested in your vehicle. Please call me at 503-234-3831

gmg_co

call me..... 719-647-1188 or cell 303-903-2808
Thanks, Gary

Thanks for returning my call. Sorry it was too late. I was on my way to pick up my new 1997 CX in Santa Fe. It's the gas version on a Ford F-250 with 56K miles. Hope you had good luck with the lady in Portland that was also interested.
Thanks, Gary

icedrifter68

Interested

Is the Tiger still for sale?
My Afghan contract ends in a couple of weeks, and I will be in Portland for the New Years.
Is this the "bottom-line" price. Please do not be insulted, I am investigating options as seriously considering a long trip, to return to Ushuai, hiking en route.
Are these any items that need to be addressed before taking an extended trip like this?
Please contact me through either my .mil address or Yahoo account.
Cheers
robert.s.demuth@usace.army.mil

or

icedrifter68@yahoo.com

Paul1844

Very nice improvements. I live in Florence and am very interested in your Tiger...don't see them come up for sale to often here on the West Coast. Good luck with the sale, I am sure it will sell quick. Paul

squeezer

Adventurer
Hey All,

Working for a living is really getting in the way of all things expo camper related... I have pulled Tony out of storage and brought it back to my garage to show it to a few interested parties. It is still available as of right now with two "serious" lookers. (Neither of which have been able to get here and have a look...)

As far as the price goes there is real value here at my stated price and it would be hard to duplicate for anywhere near what I am asking. Having said that it does cost me to store it for the winter so an immediate buyer could talk me down the cost of storage without too much problem ;-)

Cheers

Chris

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
That said, I am just lookin', I'm not really buyin'.
Yeah, Smitty, but you could be buyin' . . . know what I'm sayin'? Besides, you'd get a chance to visit Portland in the winter. Can't beat that. :sombrero:

(After all the encouragement he's given me over the years to buy stuff, this is the least I can do. ;) )

squeezer

Adventurer
3) At least one of us with "fussy visual needs" wonders what it would take to get the bump on the passenger rear fixed up? I'm thinking not a lot, but I'm also thinking that with your apparent appreciation for nicely-done things you woulda done sumpin'.

I have had it in the back of my mind to bond on diamond plate corner protection... Might just do that now that its back at home for a few weeks. I don't want to get too much going on with the Tiger however as my father in law will be here around the 10 of December and we are going to get going on Camper Mogs engine swap. I have taken pretty much all of December off and hope to make a giant leap forward on the swap.

Mike is a wise wise man...

Cheers

Chris

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If I could figure out how a good wy to travel with 2 bicycles on that....
You could make do with only two bicycles, Thom!? Impressive.

As lightweight as your bikes are, I'm thinking some Permacell gaffers tape will work. Tape one bike to each side. :sombrero:

Alpentalic

Consider me a third

Hi Chris, I live in the region and, am very interested in your rig, is it still available?

I have this now, however I am in the process of selling both the camper and truck:

IMG_1003.JPG

Hey All,

Working for a living is really getting in the way of all things expo camper related... I have pulled Tony out of storage and brought it back to my garage to show it to a few interested parties. It is still available as of right now with two "serious" lookers. (Neither of which have been able to get here and have a look...)

As far as the price goes there is real value here at my stated price and it would be hard to duplicate for anywhere near what I am asking. Having said that it does cost me to store it for the winter so an immediate buyer could talk me down the cost of storage without too much problem ;-)

Cheers

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle