SOLD. 1998 Stewart and Stevenson M1078 w/ S-280 shelter.

DirtTrailsWanted

SOLD.

1998 Stewart and Stevenson M1078 with built out S-280 shelter.
Mileage : 25,xxx

Upgrades:​

We bought this truck in August of 2018 with 14,xxx miles on it, stock without the box. Since then we’ve:
  • Added the S-280 shelter with custom build out (See details below)
  • Replaced all 4 starter batteries
  • Rebuilt the starter
  • New air compressor
  • Upgraded haldex air cleaner
  • New Goodyear MV/T 395/85R20 tires installed Jan '21(2017 date codes)
  • Installed a keyed ignition
  • Several oil changes, new filters
  • Sound deadened the cab
  • Installed a custom 80/20 roof rack with (2) 36" light bars
  • Repainted interior dash black
  • Front hitch for carrying bike rack
  • Replaced spare tire hydraulic ram
  • New alternator bracket
  • LED headlamps
  • Replaced oil line of death (aka a known failure point on the CAT 3116 motor)
  • I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting

S-280 shelter build out specs:​

• Interior dimensions: L 11'6" W 6'9" H 6'3"
  • Aluminum foam sandwich panel construction with 2" foam insulation core.
  • 2 tern overland windows
  • 1 tern overland roof hatch
  • WeBoost Cell phone signal booster
  • 600w solar on roof, wired in parallel
  • 300 Ah 12v Battle Born Batteries
  • 3000w Victron Multi Plus inverter / charger
  • 15amp shore power connection
  • 1800w dual burner induction cook top
  • 12v isotherm freezer / refrigerator
  • 12v Elgena hot water heater
  • 42 Gallon fresh water storage
  • Large sink with hot and cold water
  • 3 exterior LED flood lights over the windows and rear door.
  • All major components in solar electrical system are either Victron or Blue Sea
  • more specific information on the box can be found from the manufacture here: here

Sale will include:​

• 4 tire chains
  • WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350W Inverter Generator
  • Several extension cords for generator
  • Loads of truck specific tools
  • 2 Ford center jump seats
  • 2 NATO style 5 Gallon Diesel Jerry cans
  • 48" Hi Jack Lift
  • 2 tern overland cargo hatches
  • Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 and 4 poles
  • Several replacement small parts

Known issues:​

• Front timing cover is cracked and has a slow oil leak.
  • Driver side exterior door handle is broken.

ftm-27.jpg

hny-15.jpg

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4877.jpeg

IMG_4893.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4885.jpeg

IMG_4886.jpeg

IMG_4894.jpeg

IMG_4887.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

Last edited:

dfinn

Adventurer
I’m not actually interested but I am curious, what’s it like to drive this thing on a long road trip? What sort of MPG does it get?

Hey man, saw your Instagram story. Sorry about the ticket/tow! Was wondering if you would post a picture of the back door? Also what is under the bed next to the dinette seats?

Also looks like there is 42g fresh water. Is there grey water storage? Also is there a place for a toilet?

Last edited:

DirtTrailsWanted

Hey man, saw your Instagram story. Sorry about the ticket/tow! Was wondering if you would post a picture of the back door? Also what is under the bed next to the dinette seats?

Also looks like there is 42g fresh water. Is there grey water storage? Also is there a place for a toilet?

here is a link to a google album with a bunch of additional photos, ExPO sometimes will not allow me to upload photos due to their size.

Correct, Peanut can carry 42 gallons of fresh water, there is a grey water system, that drains from the sink into a 7-gallon container.

We have a luggable-loo in the truck that we used (always with several bags, it looks brand new) whenever going outside wasn't an option. We opted not to install a shower or toilet to keep things simple, and prevent a failure point.

I’m not actually interested but I am curious, what’s it like to drive this thing on a long road trip? What sort of MPG does it get?
Its certainly better to measure in smiles per miles, but at top speed, it consumes about 6-7 mpg, slower speeds is much better.

DirtTrailsWanted

What is the short story about this?
the short story is we had it parked in our condo parking lot, it was parked in the same spot while we have been traveling for the last 1.5 years, and it's supposed to move every 14 days. We overstayed our welcome just by a little....

Thankfully it was properly towed, tow bill still ended up being cheaper than the storage would have been, so that's a win? Expanding on that, since now we are paying to store it, the urgency to sell it is a little higher, the sooner its gone, the sooner are traveling full-time again.

ARCowboy

the short story is we had it parked in our condo parking lot, it was parked in the same spot while we have been traveling for the last 1.5 years, and it's supposed to move every 14 days. We overstayed our welcome just by a little....

Thankfully it was properly towed, tow bill still ended up being cheaper than the storage would have been, so that's a win? Expanding on that, since now we are paying to store it, the urgency to sell it is a little higher, the sooner its gone, the sooner are traveling full-time again.

Sorry to hear about all of that. Have shared the link with a couple people I think might be interested, but do you have any pictures showing how the steel cables attach to the bed ? Did you use the S280 tie down kit ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179