SOLD 1999 Montero with winter package (rear locker) for sale. $2800

speedtre

Explorer
SOLD

Short Ad:

Well-cared for 1999 Montero w/winter package, 203K miles, new tires, reliable, no significant issues. Just passed GA emissions 10/2015, no CEL or any other warning lights lit.

$2800

LOOOONG AD: :)

So, it pains me to sell this Montero because I originally bought it with big intentions, but life has gotten in the way. Circumstances dictated that I sell my house with a garage and most of my tools in the past few years, that combined with a new rugrat, conspired to keep me from making this Montero what I wanted it to be. I now have a need for a p/u, so the Montero sadly needs to go. Despite the lack of modifications I had hoped to do, it's still a GREAT canvas for someone. I thought I would post it here first in the hopes that somebody who appreciates it for what it is (that being the absolute best PER $ spent 4x4 4-door platform out there...3rd Gen 4runners, in this shape sell for 2-2.5 times this and are not as capable or spacious and can't seat 7.)

The GOOD:
1999 Montero, AT 4x4, with center and rear lockers (winter package).
P-windows, p-locks, p-mirrors, HUGE p-moonroof, heated seats, p-drivers seat, ALL working.
Leather interior...good shape for age, some cracks in driver seat, fewer cracks in p-seat, rear seat leather great, 3rd row seats like new, minus headrests.
Cruise control
Heat is HOT, A/C is COLD
Factory alarm with one remote key fob
FSM hard copy for 1998 Montero which is essentially the same vehicle.
No warning lights lit on dash
New KYB gas-a-just shocks at around 170K miles
New fr/rr rotors, pads and fr calipers at around 175K miles (over $1000 in parts labor)
New radiator/.thermostat and coolant flush summer 2014 (parts and labor $700)
4 Brand new Kuhmo Roadventure AT51 31/10.5/15s installed 9/28/15 at 201K miles ($600 installed)
Body/paint in great shape for a 17 YO car. I'm pretty sure it was garaged for the first 11 years of it's life.
I have some new Goodyear rubber floormats to go with it as the original carpeted floor-mats that are in it have seen better days.
7-seater....rear most seats are currently removed for more cargo space.
LEDs in the dome and rear door light.
OEM Radio/Cassette/CD works fine, though I have never used the CD changer mounted in the cargo area, so I can't say for sure on that.
203k miles = 12k miles /year
No rust (GA vehicle all it's life)
No funky smells, non-smoking owners.
If you pull a Carfax, it will be clean. I pulled one when I bought it and it was clean, but I can't find it now. All the body
panels have the original VIN stickers.

Here is the best part. It was originally a 1 owner soccer mom SUV for the first 162K miles of it's life. It had the infamous Montero crankshaft bolt failure so the original owner sold it to the service manager of the dealership where she bought it (they gave her a great deal on a new car). He fixed it at his cost and planned on keeping it, but then decided to sell it...so, at 162K it got the following at a cost of almost $3K:

“Removed motor and installed 10/10 reman crankshaft with new main and rod bearings, replaced oil pump, all oil seals, reman heads x2, timing belt, crank sensor, crank gear...etc etc”

See the PDF attachment for actual bill.

I have a bunch of service records from the original owner from when I bought it and I'm in the process of tracking down all my records for it.

I am for all intents and purposes, the 2nd owner. I have always used synthetic oil in it since I've owned it (last change with OEM filter at 201k). It does not burn or leak a drop of oil. The transmission shifts like butter. I have never taken it seriously offroad. It's “offroad” adventures have been limited to National Forest service roads in North Ga.

The BAD:

Since the day I bought it, it has had the notorious Mitsubishi VLA tick and if you look at the pdf bill, they mention that it may need lifter(s). Why they didn't replace it (them) while they were in there, I don't know. Anyway, I've tried every possible way to “bleed” the lifters without actually taking the heads off. Seafoam treatment in the oil, followed the TSB process with the accelerator, but I can't do anything to get that tick to go away. I had planned on going ahead and replacing all the lifters (you can get new ones with the updated larger holes for less than $100 on ebay) this winter, but my need for a p/u arose so I'm selling it instead. Having said all that, I would drive it across country tomorrow.

Horn is disconnected. The contacts on the horn wear out and cause it to constantly honk. This can be fixed one of three ways. 1. Replace the airbag (the horn contact assembly is inside the airbag housing), which is $250 (aftermarket) or $500+ (dealership). 1. Install a button/switch that bypasses the horn switch in the steering wheel and use that to activate the horn. 3. Take the airbag assembly apart and fix the contact patch ( http://www.pajero.guru/how-to-fix-pajero-stuck-horn-problem-step-by-step-guide/). I just took the fuse out and lived w/out a horn (that fuse is not connected to the airbag, it still works) until I could get around to fixing it...which I haven't.

Driver side fog lamp bulb is burnt out (I have two new ones that go with it).
Rear door handle is broken, so you can't open it from the outside (I have the part will try to fix it before it sells or the part ($45) will go with it).
It has a chip in the driver side headlight, since I bought it, but it works fine.
The light behind the heater/AC fan control is burned out.
The light on the cruise control switch is burned out but the cruise control works fine.
The bushings for the front sway bars creak when you go over bumps, so they could use replacing.
When I bought it the tool kit was missing.
I've never had the head rests for seats 6/7.
I have the jack, but my son loosened it and all the hydraulic fluid leaked out. I have new hydraulic fluid for it, just haven't put it in yet.
Missing the pass side front wheel cap. I have two spare, but I think the metal retaining ring is pinched because the cap will not go on tightly. I have two new caps and metal retaining rings, but the wheel needs to be taken off to install the ring...I haven't gotten around to it yet.
I had to replace the antenna and when I did for some reason the boot around where it goes through the quarter panel will not attach properly. Antenna still raises and lowers fine though.
It could use a good carpet cleaning :)

The UGLY:

There really is no “ugly.” The truck drives and handles great (tracks straight down the road, both under power and when braking), has been VERY reliable and has never left me stranded. It tried to strand me one time when the thermostat broke while on a road trip, but I was able to limp it into an Autozone and replace the thermostat in the parking lot with tools I borrowed from Autozone...it's pretty easy to work on. :)

I did a quick exterior wash and vacuum before I took the pics. The carpet could use a good shampooing and detailing though. The pic with my kids in it is to show the most “extreme” off-roading it's been through. :) That pic is a few years old...the other pics were taken today, 2/9/2016. I've sold a couple vehicles through EXPO and I think those buyers were happy and would tell you I was completely upfront with them on those vehicles. I believe in Karma. :)

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I'm swamped at work right now, but I'll try to get back to you as quick as I can.

Montero2.jpg

right.jpg

Left.jpg

front.jpg

Dash.jpg

drvfrtint.jpg

drvseat.jpg

frtpassint.jpg

View attachment Scan001 (1).PDF

frtpass.jpg

Last edited:

speedtre

Explorer
How bad is the VLA tick? I might be very interested since I can't find a decent gen1 5 speed lwb. I'm in Asheville.

Um, I don't know how bad it is cause I've nothing to compare it to...it's been there since I bought it with 164K miles on it and it's never gotten any louder nor had any effect on it's performance. I do notice that when it's VERY cold (well, very cold for GA, so like lower 30s or lower) it does not tick at start up, but does after it warms up. I've had people suggest running heavier oil in it to get rid of the tick, and it's cold weather behavior makes me think that might work...but I wouldn't bet any money on it. For someone with basic mechanics skills replacing all the VLAs would cost you less than $200 in parts and a days work. My issue is I didn't have anywhere to do it out of the elements and I had to get rid of most of my tools a few years ago.

speedtre

Explorer
I found some time today and threw it up on general vehicle for sale forum here on EXPO and on craigslist locally...just fyi.

jonniemonleone

Might be interested turned into interested. Pm'd you, but:

the following errors occurred with your submission
speedtre has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Jonnie

speedtre

Explorer
Might be interested turned into interested. Pm'd you, but:

the following errors occurred with your submission
speedtre has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Jonnie

Inbox is cleared now...thanks for the heads-up. :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I really wish this was closer because it has such a clean body, I have the cash but no room at the moment for it in the driveway until the Jeep is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears