SOLD - 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel, Expedition Ready!

AZJP

Observer
@kmadanla

It is actually pretty low for having 40" tires. That is what I like about it.

The height to the top of the roof rack is 95" (quick measurement, but that's close). The height to the top without the roof rack would be around 87".

steveh

Anyone knowledgeable on how the idle controller, turbo timer, Magnaflow exhaust, and AFE intake affect this truck under the new California diesel smog law? It is another hoop some of us in CA must jump through to buy diesel vehicles newer than 1998.

jdholder

Explorer
Anyone knowledgeable on how the idle controller, turbo timer, Magnaflow exhaust, and AFE intake affect this truck under the new California diesel smog law? It is another hoop some of us in CA must jump through to buy diesel vehicles newer than 1998.

The idle controller is a non issue as it unpluggs easily and can be disabled for the test.

The magnaflow exhaust should also be a non-issue as this truck never had a catalytic converter. I know, I bought it when it was stock and did most of the work.

I don't know about the AFE - as I know it didn't have a "CARB" sticker when I bought it (cause diesels weren't subject to smog check then anyway).

You would NOT want to have the program flashed with the SuperChips MicroTuner when you take it to have it smogged, and I don't know if this truck even has a check engine light - I don't remember there being one on start up - which I am not sure if Ford didn't install them, or the previous owner disabled it???!!???

From what I have heard of the California Diesel Smog Check, it's a visual check to "see" if there is too much black smoke. This truck never smoked bad when I owned it, and the AFE likely flows more air than the stock system, and therefore the truck would smoke less. More air in = less smoke out. More fuel in = more smoke out. Balance of air and smoke = stock levels of smoke.

This is a great truck - someone buy it and love it!! I put a bunch of work into it and JP has done EVEN MORE to make it EVEN BETTER!! ARB locking diff!! New Trans!! New headlights!! AWESOME!!

AZJP

Observer
Thanks for the info Jon!

This truck still does not smoke. It should pass the CA visual no problem.

The thing we are wondering about now is the check engine light. A CEL does not come on when the key is in the 'on' position. Does anyone else with a 2001 superduty know if it is supposed to?

This truck has passed AZ emissions twice no problem. Wasn't even close to failing the test.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I should be picking up my new to me excursion 2001 w/7.3 on monday I will check it for the light. On that note is your front bumper 1.75 or 2" tube.

AZJP

Observer
Front bumper tubing is 1.75"

Now that it is light outside I can see there is a place that would say "Service Engine Soon". So I'm wondering if that lights up with the key in the 'on' position.

Thanks Cowboy 4x4! I look forward to your report and congrats on the new truck!

Humvette

Adventurer
I love the rig!!! But i have a 2007 F350 for towing :( What kinda MPG's you getting city/highway? I am looking to rock 34, 35, or 37 :) and i just don't want to destroy my 19.5 mpgs. I mean if i can get 17.5 ish with 37's and my stock 4.10:1's i will do it, but i am just curious.
Thx and good luck,
M

AZJP

Observer
Humvette:
The Excursion gets around 14mpg around town if you're light on the throttle. On the highway is not much higher and can actually be lower if you're going over 75 or so.

But I don't think my 7.3L, heavy Excursion with 40's (4.56) would be in anyway comparable to your truck. I used to have a 6.0 Ex with 35's that got 13-14 in town and up to 18 on the highway. So 17+ is possible with your truck.

AZJP

Observer
From the feedback and prospective buyers I've had, the price doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited:

AZJP

Observer
steveh: 'cowboy4x4' never got that 7.3 ex, so I don't know about the CEL.

I know that the truck easily passes AZ emissions testing (visual and hoses hooked to exhaust) and it runs great. I have never seen the CEL on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater