SOLD -2007 Dodge Ram 3500 w/ Outfitter Apex 8 for Sale - La Mesa CA

sam-aye-am

*SOLD* 2007.5 Dodge RAM 3500 Single Rear Wheel Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7L cummins, 68rfe 6 spd auto with 2007 Outfitter Apex 8 camper. Located in La Mesa, CA. *SOLD*

WARNING: Grab a cup of coffee as this will be a long description of both. I like details and would rather post everything I can think of than answer a bunch of piecemeal questions from tire kickers. It also speaks to my love of this truck. When I bought the truck 10 years ago – this was my dream truck and had every intention of keeping it for 20 years. 10 years later – I find my dream camper mated to a newer ram and had to jump on it. I’ll personally hate to see this truck go. I really do love this inanimate object.

****Sidenote – if you can’t do basic mechanical and electrical troubleshooting – a rig this complex is not for you****

One owner, both since brand new. Clear title in hand, truck currently registered in WA state – though the camper isn’t. Still have original bill of sale for camper from Outfitter. If you are savy – yes, WA state titles truck campers. I’m active duty Navy and registered my truck in WA state just days before leaving the state. Truck was previously bought in VA and registered there, then registered in CA, then WA.
The truck: 105K miles or so on the odometer. All maintenance is up to date – including recalls. Mechanically, I’d call it 10 of 10. Cosmetically – I’d call it 7 of ten because the tailgate is banged up from sitting underneath my mustang while towing it and having the car slam down on top of it. If it had a better tailgate – I’d call it 8 of 10. No clear coat issues though – just some mild pin striping from branches and a small (maybe 2 inch) crease on the back of the cab, drivers side from the fiberglass topper I have getting out of hand lowering down onto truck from the ceiling hoist I had at the time.

As equipped when bought:

- Moonroof
- Power sliding rear window
- Infinity sound with redundant steering wheel controls
- 3.73 axle ratio – limited slip rear.
- Electronic shift on the fly transfer case
- Dodge chrome side steps.
- Heated power mirrors
- Block heater
- 7 way power adjustable driver’s seat
- Power adjustable pedals
- Rear seat under storage and flat load system

I can separately provide a print out from my phone app where I track maintenance and fuel economy. Didn’t start using the app until 2009 or so. Paper receipts for the most part before that, but I did have a handwritten log on fuel economy up until then that I transposed into the app. I even re-performed the EGR cleaning service at 79k because the dealership that did it at 62K didn’t tighten some studs that caused a whistling noise when using full exhaust brake to decelerate with a load. Replaced water pump and accessory belt – with complete cooling system flush at the time too – July 2014. Never had a single issue with emissions related stuff - DPF or turbo. Probably because 90% of my miles are hauling and/or towing.

Truck upgrades:

- Mag Hytec rear differential cover and transmission cover. Transmission filters and fluid replaced when installing trans cover at 58,990 miles in December 2010.
- Fox 2.0 remote reservoirs custom valved by fox – valving developed by Sean Lorenz who is a truck camper owner himself – even had the same truck (think 5.9 though) and the same camper. Installed Dec 2017at about 103k miles. The single best thing I did for handling the camper. Wish I had done it way earlier.
- Torklift stable loads upper and lower.
- Hellwig rear sway bar.
- Firestone ride rite airbags with in cab split controls (inflate bags individually and read each bags pressure individually).
- Viar constant duty on board air system – 2.5 gallon tank and an air chuck for inflating tires. Installed December 2017.
- Carli front end upgrade kit – upper and lower ball joints, track bar, steering stabilizer. Upgraded to 2008 steering components at that time as well. Installed and aligned by Chaos Fab Shop in Winchester VA at 82,453 miles in July of 2015. I’ve never been happier having someone else work on my rig than with this group. They did an awesome and highly professional job. I’ve been pretty consistent at right around 3k miles to lube the ball joints and track bar.
- VisionX 4.5” light cannons with SDHQ a pillar mounts purchased and installed Jan/Feb 2017.
- Torklift super hitch – 2nd receiver to allow using their supertruss extension. This limits the size of the spare you can put in stock location. Still have original spare in there – I was planning to replace until I came across my dream rig.
- Tires – Nitto Terra grappler 285/70/17 in 126 load index – standard load range E tires are 121 load index. Rears were replaced on road hazard warranty for belt separation at 96,600 miles after installing 4 new at 79,200. Fronts are still good.
- Centrematic balancers. Hard to call this an upgrade as it was a last resort after failing several times to get tires these tires to feel balanced at hwy speeds despite multiple balancing attempts to include road force balancing. Never had an issue with previous TOYO Open Country AT in same size and load index – but those separated too and TOYO no longer makes that size in load index 126. The Nitto’s dropped my fuel economy by about 2 mpg, but grab better on the dirt and snow.
- Kenwood DNX 9980 in 6.95” touch screen in dash navigation receiver using Garmin maps. Can’t remember last time I paid for map updates – but they are pretty old. Maybe 2015? Kenwood CMOS 320 multi view backup camera that I move between the truck and the camper. Voice controlled navigation.
- Line-x’d bed.
- Both happijac and torklift camper attachment systems – though I don’t think I still have the happijac turnbuckles. Using torklift fastguns now.
- Wired individual switches on dash to cut out/back in both cab clearance and center high mount stoplight for when camper in on or off.
- Blue sea systems automatic battery charging relay (ML-ACR-7622) with remote control not yet installed. 2/0 gauge wire connection with marine grade ring terminals and adhesive line heat shrink between both house and camper batteries. Anderson dual pole connector in bed for camper/truck interface. 150 amp circuit breakers near each bank of batteries. This allows the alternator to provide juice to camper batteries as well as allow camper solar panels to provide juice to truck batteries. Just installed this.
- Die hard Gold batteries replaced OEM batteries in November 2015 (I normally keep the truck on a battery tender, but now have the solar panels connected)

Camper as ordered:

2007 Outfitter Apex 8 with north- south cab over and slide out drawer/bunk bed option.
- 6 gallon electric and propane DSI hot water heater – Atwood XT
- Dometic Tundra 12v compressor (Danfos) 4.something cubic foot fridge. Think it is the TJ42…so maybe 4.2 cu ft?
- Single Kyocera 110w solar panel.
- Carmanah GoPOwer solar charge controller
- Fantastic fan in rear, normal rv vent over bed.
- 3 burner suburban range
- Xantrex Xpower 1750W inverter
- Outside shower
- HappiJac electric remote jacks
- 2 Trojan T145 6V batteries
- Outifter roof racks
- Yakima roof tracks
- 8’ Care free freedom III side awning
- 6’ Fiama rear awning
- Blackwater flushing connection
- Outside shower (in addition to the one in the wetbath)
- Progressive Dynamics intellipower chager/converter
- Suburban ducted furnace – can’t remember the BTU – but it is single speed version
- RV products 9000 series roof air conditioner
- Generator slide in side compartment (generator not included in sale, unless full price offer).
- 110V outlet in cabover
- 110v and 12v outlet near dinette
- Heater ducting to cabover - that I disconnected as the air cooled off by the time it got up there and just blew cold air. Port on furnace was blocked off.

What I’ve replaced/fixed/upgraded since purchasing:

- Front 4150 jacks were replaced with 4500 (stronger) jacks December 2009.
- Moved front 4500 jack to rear in December 2017 and put new 4800 jacks on front.
- Replaced hot water heater sometime in 2008 after finding out that I didn’t winterize it properly. Lesson learned.
- Replaced shurflo water pump sometime around 2010 after developing a leak.
- Replaced toilet in 2011 after developing a leak on the water supply inlet that wasn’t replaceable.
- Added 100W solar panel in 2011 and replaced solar controller
- Replaced faulty danfos compressor controller (fridge) and added diagnostic led light
- Custom made mattress in 2016 – we both agree best mattress we have EVER had anywhere- spent $1K on it.
- Had outfitter convert manual crank roof lift to electric summer of 2009.
- Replaced front roof vent with thermostatically controlled fantastic fan summer of 2016.
- Replaced several (not all) pex fittings with sharkbite push to connect fittings
- Replaced hot water heater mixing valve winter 2016/2017
- Removed ducting to cabover as hot air cooled off too much by the time it got up there – and was in the way for troubleshooting hot water heater mixing valve.
- Added thinsulate and standard piping insulation between camper body and pex water supply lines that run under dinette cushions against dinette wall underneath window. .
- New Trojan T145s in 2014.

I was originally planning on keeping this camper at least another 5 years, hence the recent upgrades to charging system and jacks.

Pics:

IMG_3388-min.jpg

IMG_3531 (2)-min.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3525 (2)-min.jpg
    IMG_3525 (2)-min.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

sam-aye-am

More pics as I figure out how to upload....

IMG_3491-min.jpg

IMG_3495-min.jpg

IMG_3498-min.jpg

IMG_3502-min.jpg

IMG_0771-min.jpg

IMG_3532 (2)-min.jpg

IMG_3533[1]-min.jpg

IMG_3529[1]-min.jpg

IMG_3526 (2)-min.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3525 (2)-min.jpg
    IMG_3525 (2)-min.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

sam-aye-am

Pretty sweet build on that Taco. Unfortuantely - not open to trades. Selling this truck and camper becasue I picked up my dream rig: XPCamper V1 on a 2015 Ram.

huerta32

Observer
You mentioned having to troubleshoot electrical issues... What kind of issues have you encountered?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sam-aye-am

You mentioned having to troubleshoot electrical issues... What kind of issues have you encountered?

The same types of things any one that gets more complicated than a bone stock truck would encounter. Here are the issues I recall from an electrical standpoint:

1. There are 6 total overhead light fixtures - 3 on each side. There are 2 rocker switches at door entry that cut power to its respecitve side. At some point I had an issue with lights on one side. Ordered and replaced rocker switch. Seemed resolved for about a month and then had issues again. Turned out to be a ground wire that I had to chase down - if I recall - I had to paritally remove the fridge to get to it.

2. At some point I had issues with the furnace. I can't remembe what exactly - but I remember havning it out and on the workbench dissassembled and checking it over with the multi-meter. I don't think I found any smoking guns on that and it has worked fine ever since re-installing it.

3. At some point I had an issue with the fridge. This is one of the first dometic tundra fridges with the Danfoss compressor. I googled around and it looked as though the compressor controller could be the issue. Ordered it. By the time the controller showed up - I had the issue resolved - which I think was again a ground wire or bad connection somewhere. Then, while on a trip the firdge quit working. I had the controller in a cabinet in the camper. Thanks to having installed the diagnostic LED jumper during my last go round with the firdge - I was able to look up the "fault code" based on number of flashes and had at least a moderate level of confidence that the controller had crapped out. Popped it in and has been fine ever since.

4. Solar charge controller died at some point. But, before plopping down $ to buy a new one, multi-meter came out and verified that it wasn't a connection issue.

5. At some point - the 120V heating element in the water heater wasn't working. Not really a big deal since i almost always boondock. But, when going to Mammoth for skiiing - it is nice to be plugged in at the RV park with a hot tub. This too turned out to be a bad connection/ground and worked last time I tried to use it.

6. At some point - the remote electric jacks quit working. Orignally had a wired remote. The wire connecting the remote to the controller board was bad. I took the opportunity to upgrade it to a wireless remote that could be hard wired if necessary.

7. While on a Novemeber or December trip to Sedona - furnace wasn't working reliably. Had the mult-meter with me and narrowed it down to a bad thermostat (analog). Hot wired it for either on or off and got through the trip. Ordered a replacment, installed, and has been fine since.

All of the above is fairly typical for 10 years of ownership of anytying that is more complicated than a basic shelter only and built to what I consider average RV industry build standards/quality: not a single damn wire is labeled while it seems that they switched back and forth between residentail and automitive wiring standards quite frequently with way more twist cap connections than I would use in building anything.

Racingdad

Adventurer
Congrats on the XPV1. Was that the rig from Bishop,CA? I like your rig that you have for sale. If I weren't in the middle of a remodel gone bonkers (everything has doubled in cost- labor and materials) I'd be coming down for a look.

GLWS
Tad

sam-aye-am

Congrats on the XPV1. Was that the rig from Bishop,CA? I like your rig that you have for sale. If I weren't in the middle of a remodel gone bonkers (everything has doubled in cost- labor and materials) I'd be coming down for a look.

GLWS
Tad

Thanks. Didn't get the one from Bishop - may have missed that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998