SOLD 2014 Toyota Tundra & 2018 FWC Hawk Expedition Vehicle

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Nice setup. Do you have pics of the flatbed without the camper on? I would like to use this as a work truck not just for camping. The flatbed seems pretty high up and is there any sort of headache rack? Do you think it would work well?

I am the original owner / builder of this.

The flatbed is just high enough to position the bed area over the cab of the truck with enough clearance for the funky GPS/Sat Radio whale antenna thing.

The camper actually sits lower than most, designed this way on purpose. Its an optical illusion because of the open lower sides, that are usually covered with bedside.

Zoom in and look close at the clearance between the bottom of the bed area, and the factory whale antenna, camper is sitting as low as possible.

No headache rack, absolutely zero need, they are wasted space, and a silly trendy thing.

Super happy to still see this rig out and about working well for the new owners. I put my heart and soul into this one and miss it sometimes.

Last edited:

mattdraheim

I am the original owner / builder of this.

The flatbed is just high enough to position the bed area over the cab of the truck with enough clearance for the funky GPS/Sat Radio whale antenna thing.

The camper actually sits lower than most, designed this way on purpose. Its an optical illusion because of the open lower sides, that are usually covered with bedside.

Zoom in and look close at the clearance between the bottom of the bed area, and the factory whale antenna, camper is sitting as low as possible.

No headache rack, absolutely zero need, they are wasted space, and a silly trendy thing.

Super happy to still see this rig out and about working well for the new owners. I put my heart and soul into this one and miss it sometimes.
Thanks for chiming in! Just sold it to its new owner today. Not only did I have some epic adventures the past 3 years of ownership, but I learned a ton from the way you designed and built this rig. Did my very best to keep it maintained and ready for many more adventures to come.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks for chiming in! Just sold it to its new owner today. Not only did I have some epic adventures the past 3 years of ownership, but I learned a ton from the way you designed and built this rig. Did my very best to keep it maintained and ready for many more adventures to come.

Awesome man!

That makes me glad to hear!

That rig was a whole bunch of lessons i've learned from previous rigs, all wrapped into one,

Stoked to see it still being used and enjoyed

sjoertling

Awesome man!

That makes me glad to hear!

That rig was a whole bunch of lessons i've learned from previous rigs, all wrapped into one,

Stoked to see it still being used and enjoyed
@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING @mattdraheim : 2nd Owner here. I miss this thing pretty much every day. Some of the happiest times of my life were spend in this truck. It is such a solid build. We always felt confident and safe in it and never felt we were pushing it past its limits. Everything is very practical without any gimmicks. Storage space in the Highway Products boxes is insane. Best feature on the truck and always stayed bone dry. Safe travels to the new owner and hope to see it still going strong in another 126,000 miles.

I am the new owner of this rig, stoke factor has been high. It is extremely well thought out, nice and compact and solid. We have a little over 20 nights in it so far.

Only issue I have had is with the heater which has some sort of airflow issue on the combustion intake side of things which gets worse over 5500 feet. One of the rear wheel speed sensors got destroyed by debris in the hub the first week I had it but that was an easy fix and I rebuilt the hub etc in an evening and some beers.

One question I have is driver side of the bed next to the fuel filler is an electrical plug i think its a 4 pin but cant remember of the top of my head. Not sure what it goes to etc

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I am the new owner of this rig, stoke factor has been high. It is extremely well thought out, nice and compact and solid. We have a little over 20 nights in it so far.

Only issue I have had is with the heater which has some sort of airflow issue on the combustion intake side of things which gets worse over 5500 feet. One of the rear wheel speed sensors got destroyed by debris in the hub the first week I had it but that was an easy fix and I rebuilt the hub etc in an evening and some beers.

One question I have is driver side of the bed next to the fuel filler is an electrical plug i think its a 4 pin but cant remember of the top of my head. Not sure what it goes to etc

Glad to hear youre enjoying it.

Yeah, the finicky furnace was part of my reason for selling the entire thing honestly. I replaced all the components in it a couple times, it would work, then it wouldnt, etc... FWC was zero help

Dude i sold it to said he had no issues with it. I dunno. If i would of kept it, that furnace would be replaced with a diesel espar immediately honestly.

Post a pic of that plug youre talking about, its been awhile

k

That is actually the route that I plan on taking. I have found that loosening the screws on the exterior cover just enough to break the air seal will enable it to run endlessly. Before ripping it out and going the espar route I am going to look into opening up the combustion intake side of things and see if that solves it.

Will get a picture of the plug and message it over to you. I should probably start a thread somewhere else as to stop bumping this one.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
That is actually the route that I plan on taking. I have found that loosening the screws on the exterior cover just enough to break the air seal will enable it to run endlessly. Before ripping it out and going the espar route I am going to look into opening up the combustion intake side of things and see if that solves it.

Will get a picture of the plug and message it over to you. I should probably start a thread somewhere else as to stop bumping this one.

Sounds good.

If you start a separate thread, tag me in it, so i can see it. I am not on here much anymore.

My curiousity it peaked now regarding this plug.

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998