Sold my road bike - shopping for D/S!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So, after 25 years of riding and 7 road bikes from 450cc up to 1100cc, I've finally decided to hit the dirt.

Right now I think the strongest contenders are the Yamaha TW200 just because it looks so cool with those fat tires, or the KLR 650 because there are 80 bazillion of them out there and the aftermarket support is amazing.

Can't wait to start riding dirt! :chowtime:

Joanne

Adventurer
I have a KLR650 that I play around on. I'm not a real offroad rider, but it's fun for me to go find old mines to photograph. It does pretty well on the open road. I've ridden from here in Vegas up to Death Valley and back without feeling like I've been put though a ringer. It's not the Road King mind you, but it wasn't bad.

I understand that some folks do expeditions on them, but mine isn't outfitted for long distance or even overnight trips. I've thought about adding panniers and doing some camping, but I got involved in building my tear and haven't focused on it. With fall coming I'll break it out again and start doing a few weekend rides.

Joanne

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Martin,

It helps a lot if you know what you plan to do with the bike...A dual-sport can be the best of both world or the worst... I have ridden a lot of these. I even did a 3 months tour of Mexico/Guatemala/Belize on a KLX650 (A more off-road version of the KLR). My girlfriend at the time had a DR350.

A KLR650 is not a very good off-roader. If you plan to do a lot of dirt, I would probably lean toward a DRZ400 instead. It's much lighter, manoeuverable and fun. On the other hand if you plan to ride on the road a lot, then go for a 650 cc otherwise you won't have enough power. The KLR would be a good choice, but I would also consider the DR650. The XR650L was not my favorite on the road - too high and not comfortable.

Depending on your weight and height, a 200cc might be a bit too small for you (both size and power).

Overall I think the KLX650 was one of the best d/s, but they only sold them for a year or two. (1994/5)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_klx_650_1995.php

Good luck!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
All of us BMW geeks are waiting for the *expected* debut of the F800GS in September.

I took a F800S out for a test ride last week (which will be the base for the GS). The riding position was terrible (but will be very different on the GS), but it was oh so fast, and averaged about 45mpg with me flogging it down skyline at 130mph in 4th gear....if they do a decent job with the suspension, the GS has potential....unless you are looking for a "dirt bike" (which is very different than a "dual-sport").

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The 200cc bike would be fine around town, and bumping down dirt roads, but wouldn't be the best bike for out of town trips (although any bike will, and can, go around the world, if you'd like it to....).

The KLR is a pretty solid bike. Decent on the highway, decent mileage and decent fuel capacity. It'll be more difficult to throw around off road (but look who's talking...I take my 605 lb. GS off road....).

I did baja and mainland Mexico on a Honda XR650L....other than the atrociously painful seat...it did just fine....sucks with a wind on the highways though...stick to the back roads...

-H-

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Well, I can't offer too much info other than I recently purchased my first DS (first bike) which is an '06 KLR 650. I have no complaints so far other than I haven't been able to ride it enough!! :roost:

Try http://www.klr650.net for more info.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It is only a matter of time before someone pops this in the mix: Honda XR450.

Kinda makes for a nice 'tweener if a 200 is too small and a 650 too big. Plus they can usually be found used for not many spendolios.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Ive had BMWs to KLRs to Ducati and I must say that FOR ME the best all around DS bike has to be my latest purchase. The Honda XR 650R. Got the power and more than enough ability offroad. Still able to blast 80mph down the freeway. The ride isnt the most comfortable, but can be worked on. Mine will go thru a big make over this Winter, but I wouldnt dare start that project in the middle of all this wonderful summer riding weather.:Mechanic:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
805gregg said:
If you want a real nice DS bike. There is a Yamaha super tenre for sale on e-bay.

I've never even heard of that. What is it? Do you have a link?

The more I think about it, the more I think the KLR650 would probably be the best one. There are a million of them out there, tons of aftermarket support. Don't need a hardcore off-road bike and the KLR's on-road bias would actually be a plus for me.

Once the snowflakes start flying I'll start shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998