Solution for glare from roof lights?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
My glare isn't terrible with my LED bar on the roof, but I recently had it on for about an hour and you do notice the fatigue after a while. Is there an easy solution? I've done research, and have seen some custom made deflectors, and people saying tinting the top strip of your windshield helps a lot. Just looking for some personal experience as to what actually works.

I'm interested to hear about the windshield strip. I've been meaning to do this for a while anyways, so it might be hitting two birds with one stone for me.

Sean H

Deflectors under the light, tint the top of windshield, possibly even matte paint or wrap your hood if reflecting off it as well.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Deflectors under the light, tint the top of windshield, possibly even matte paint or wrap your hood if reflecting off it as well.
It's not the hood that's the problem, just the dash and windshield wipers. And if the windshield isn't clean you see every speck of dirt on it, haha.

My bad, I should have said where it was in my original post. I'm lucky, I don't have a flat hood on my vehicle so I can't even see it from the driver's seat.

richard310

pew pew
I have the same problem and plan on putting a black strip on the upper part of my windshield. I did a test with a small 6" piece and it eliminates about 80% of windshield/dash glare. I have not done it yet but it's a great solution with the outcome of the simple testing.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
It's on my Suzuki SX4.

I'm going to do what Richard suggested and cut out a test strip and see if any of the glare is eliminated. I'll report back when I see if that works!

richard310

pew pew
Although the dash cover would work and reduce the glare, you'd still be getting a significant amount on the windshield as well; especially if there's a lot of pitting and dust/dirt too.

Here's my current dash glare (it's pretty bad at times on the trail):

Uncle Beer

Observer
What about a small strip of sheet metal on the bottom side of the light bar to reduce the amount of light falling down yet allowing the light to project forward. I would think that a 1/2" or should be sufficient.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
What about a small strip of sheet metal on the bottom side of the light bar to reduce the amount of light falling down yet allowing the light to project forward. I would think that a 1/2" or should be sufficient.
That is exactly what I did on my roof mounted HID lights.
IMGP0560.JPG
A piece of polished aluminum just high enough to shade the hood.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Moving the bar back on the roof would fix it. Just far enough that the roof casts shade onto the windshield/cowl area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle