Some low tech storage in my Patrol

grimbo

Explorer
You know when you have no cash, need a temporary solution and then suddenly its three years later and you are still using it? well this is the case with these ideas.

I have never been a fan of drawer systems as I need the back of my patrol to be able to carry a variety of stuff and with kids and prams etc they take up too much space. I stated out 4wding in Suzuki Sierra ute so always managed to travel with a minimum of stuff and when my wife started coming along and we moved up into a Patrol that same mantra seemed to continue. So most of the stuff that I sued to pack in boxes remained in boxes.

The back of the patrol on camping trips now for myself, my wife and two young sons now involves a little bit more stuff. All the camping stuff ie tents, chairs tables, sleeping mats etc live in the small trailer (pseudo shed)

attachment.php

in the back of Patrol sits our Waeco 40L fridge on the left, next to that sits a large 40L plastic tub with all of the food. Ontop of this sits our clothes bags, then all the sleeping bags and pillows. Now this started getting messy and a pain to get anything. Luckily we already had a cargo barrier installed so I thought I'd love to get one of the purpose built ones as per this example

120seriesprado.jpg

but they are hella expensive for what they are. I thought, while wandering through a hardware store, why not use one of the inexpensive clip and bracker style ones that you see in wardrobes. So $20 later, voila

25A0F0EA-orig.jpg

3295961C-orig.jpg

works great, all the sleeping bags and pillows jam in the space and dont move at all, and no squeaks. Also is easy to take out if needed.

Then we needed a drop down table so found a daggy bit of plywood in the shed that happened to be the right size, sort of. Drilled a couple of hinges on, grabbed some bits of chain and there we go. Works great, cost next to nothing. Do need to swap the chains for cord though as they rattle. Then thought need somewhere to sort the odds and sods that you accumulate so grabbed a compartment bag from the hardware store for $10, attached with a couple of zip ties and now can store the bits and pieces and still use the table.

426871F4-orig.jpg
B3C113D0-orig.jpg

Then as the other door was now empty grabbed another bag and use it store a spray bottle of water, some hand disinfectant and a whole bunch of stubby holders and other bits and pieces

54E3FAA5-orig.jpg

Now with the shelf in place the lighting situation was a bit dark so grabbed a cheapy fluoro tube light, some tool clips and a couple of screws and popped it in above the door latch on the roof. Best thing is I can just unclip it and have exterior lighting if I need as well. Just plug it into the power board at the back which is there for the fridge.

3295961C-orig.jpg

F3879751-orig.jpg

So there you go, my cheap *** temporary solutions that have been in place for a couple of years and will probably never get tidied up

Last edited:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I'm really liking the fold down table and swing out/down odds and ends holder. Very clever.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I like the high shelf idea. I never seem to use the rear to the full height capacity anyways. Something like that could help organize things better.

D

Deleted member 9101

I like it: commonsense, home made, and affordable!

grimbo

Explorer
The power board is from ARB, great bit of kit with two switchable Hella plugs, plus one cigarette plug. Also has a voltometer. I've found it invaluable as I run a Waeco 40l fridge but only a single battery so having the gauge there handy at the fridge is great. They are made specifically fir the GU Patrol as they take the place of a small inspection panel.

grimbo

Explorer
Have been trying to work out a better option for storage of food etc in the back. A set of drawers would be nice but don't have the funds for a set and don't have the tools or space to make some. Wanted some durable, lockable and removable ones. So had a look on eBay for a bargain and found just what I was looking for.

A filing cabinet, perfect size with two drawers, lockable, sturdy, no rattles and best of all it was free.

Will post a pic soon

grimbo

Explorer
Here's a couple of pics. Worked out to be a prefect size, still will allow for room for bags of clothes down the side. Just need to make a bracket or two so I can attach it to the cargo barrier and it s done. Pretty chugged at the score actually.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346642993.157787.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346643026.384674.jpg

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
The KISS prinicple is the most likely to succeed I too find

I have thought about led lighting for the rear of my SUV, less current drain on the battery & about the same brightness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior