Some picture of my recent travels

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
On Friday, I took a drive to see some scenery outside the ski resort town of Red Lodge, MT. Ended up with a few pics to share. :D

DSCN0132Small_zps5690606a.jpg

This is the Beartooth Highway, the highest road in Montana. And, according to some, the most beautiful drive in America. It winds its way up and through the Beartooth Mountains, eventually ending up at the Beartooth Pass, a high mountain plateau at 10,947 feet. Unfortunately, it was still closed for the winter. The good part about that was I had the highway mostly to myself.

There are some summer homes in the area, as well as a few campgrounds. The roads are completely unmaintained, and they can get really fun in the winter. As I was by myself, I decided not to hit any of the gnarlier bits.

DSCN0139Small_zps4245577c.jpg

DSCN0138Small_zpsd2a71d07.jpg

DSCN0140Small_zps780106ea.jpg

DSCN0137Small_zpsd4575955.jpg

DSCN0136Small_zps73180baa.jpg

DSCN0132Small_zps5690606a.jpg

IMAG0028Small_zpsda28f7d7.jpg

IMAG0027Small_zps48ec4255.jpg

IMAG0021Small_zpsb75832fb.jpg

IMAG0018Small_zps0245242a.jpg

IMAG0013Small_zps27b18980.jpg

IMAG0012Small_zpsd94aa656.jpg

IMAG0009Small_zpsbaea257c.jpg

IMAG0005Small_zps5b22326c.jpg

IMAG0003Small_zps527bb290.jpg

Unfortunately, my trip up the Beartooth Highway had to come to an end at the road closed sign. But I'll be back in the summer to run it again, just like I do every year. :D

IMAG0019Small_zpse36709f5.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I was actually really surprised at that too. Thanks for the compliment. :)

I am lucky for that, yes. Just wait till summer comes and all the roads and trails open up. You can live vicariously through the pictures I will take. :D

Eniam17

Adventurer
Now I remember why I would like to move to Montana. Great pictures. I was also surprised by how little snow there is. Looks like a fun trip, thanks for sharing

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
should have just driven to the top of Hell Roaring Plateau. you were close enough.

Check out Morrison Jeep Trail this summer.

300767_10150286137665028_1170001283_n.jpg

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm jealous! I tried to take the Beartooth highway on my last cross country drive but it was closed for the season.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
with budget cuts, you won't get to get up there until late July when the snow melts. but with all this non-global warming the pass won't open this year.:elkgrin:

el-cid

Observer
Looks promising, we're planning on taking the motorbikes through there in May. Beautiful Disco by the way!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
should have just driven to the top of Hell Roaring Plateau. you were close enough.

Check out Morrison Jeep Trail this summer.

View attachment 150201

Morrison is on the list!

To be honest, I didn't really know where much of that stuff was. Where are you located? We should get together and you can show me a trail or something. I don't know many around here.

Looks promising, we're planning on taking the motorbikes through there in May. Beautiful Disco by the way!

Thanks, I love it to death!

roving

Observer
I live in gay *** North Dakota right now. I just moved here from Billings for work.

I have GPS coordinates for all the trails up on the Beartooths: Morrison, Sawtooth, Crazy Lake Jeep Trail, Benbow Jeep Trail, Goose Lake Jeep Trail, and some others I can't think of right now.

But if I make it back or you want to get ahold of me, send me a PM. I have a baby due in June, so the wife and I probably won't be doing my 4 wheeling in June and July. August is about the perfect time for Morrison and Goose Lake. Its killing me living in the land of flat. But my pockets keep getting fatter, and my debt is going down quickly. That is one of the few good things about this job.

Morrison is on the list!

To be honest, I didn't really know where much of that stuff was. Where are you located? We should get together and you can show me a trail or something. I don't know many around here.

Thanks, I love it to death!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears