Some questions regarding Willys Jeep trailer

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Hey everyone...I've been searching for an M416 to build. I've found a WWii Willys trailer that is in pretty good shape. Non original taillights but otherwise its all there as far as I can tell. Has the lunette and stand. Round fenders. A tailgate was installed. Floor has typical bowing in it. No data plate but says he has the title. Very little rust. He sprayed it all army OD green. Looks OK. Lots better than the M416 I found which was trashed. That guy was asking 850 for that one.
For this willys trailer he is asking 1500.

1) Is it worth it?

2) I think I want to use a Max Coupler so selling the lunette...what is its value?

3) Fenders. Again, probably selling these too. Most likely make my own similar the the M416

4) And most likely would switch axle to run electric brakes and toyota rims. Any value to the original axle and wheels?

5) And the willys tub is part of the frame as opposed to the tub that comes off of the M416 frame. Any problem with one over the other?

Thanks for any advice,

rat patrol

Adventurer
I paid $850 for my 416....tires dry rotten and a frozen bearing ( found out after we got home- found it in Seattle and brought it to WY). There is a pretty decent 416 here in WY. Check Sundance craigs list. its also listed on Backcountry Crawlers.

For some reason 416s have skyrocketed in price, might have to due with folks like us buying them up to take on the trail.

Robert Bills

Explorer
A WWII Willys MBT or Bantam T3, complete and in restorable condition, its probably worth 800-900 top. They are out there for less, but you have to find one. If it is already restored, then $1,500 would be a fair price.

The tailgate actually reduces the value to a collector. (However, if the trailer you are looking at has a factory tailgate, it is not a WWII trailer, it is a postwar Bantam T3-C and IMO worth more.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12