Someone explain why GAIA gets so much love

RandyP

Adventurer
I just want a persistent sort option in my settings. Heck if it would just remember what I last used that would be great.
The saved items include tracks, routes, waypoints, maps, folders and areas. If you select any one of these items you have an option on how they are displaayed. For instance Tracks saved list, top corner of first page ... if you select that ... , you get the Option of sort by Date or Title. Once you select the ooption you prefer, the app remembers it untill you choose to change it later.

Last edited:

RandyP

Adventurer
I like the idea of Areas - I'll do some research into how that works. I've been using Gaia for 3+ years now and it's a struggle to keep all the data organized, I have waypoints, routes and tracks all over the place. My biggest grievance with Gaia are the folder structures.
All the waypoints seem to be rendered on the map, with no way to make them go to the background untill you want to see them. You can individually control eash Track listed, either displayed or not. You cannot control visability of each waypoint.

So the way to improve this is to put waypoints in folders, I choose to make folders dedicated to AREAS, and turn the folders view on or off, as you need to work in different areas.

Umbrarian

Observer
The saved items include tracks, routes, waypoints, maps, folders and areas. If you select any one of these items you have an option on how they are displaayed. For instance Tracks saved list, top corner of first page ... if you select that ... , you get the Option of sort by Date or Title. Once you select the ooption you prefer, the app remembers it untill you choose to change it later.
I should have specified the web interface. It does not remember.

RandyP

Adventurer
Can't help ya there I do 99% of my GaiGPS work on my iPad. Ust the webb version after uploading for some Archiving and Unarchiving, some organizing of Folder info. And Deleting archived info that I no longer want to usee, ever again.

WanderingBison

I’ve been using Guru maps as an attempt to move away from Gaia as they have sadly been focused on feature and layer bloat instead of usability and functionality!

Guru doesn’t have as many possible layers but tracks, routes and waypoint just work, not to mention a SOLID MacOS app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I'm going to check out Guru, thanks for the tip.

I'm still using Gaia a lot since I'm familiar with it and have a lot of tracks saved. I'm a pretty basic user so it's mostly just recording tracks on rides or hikes. I also use it for following tracks as a second to my GPS.

Some friends use CalTopo and really like it. I haven't meshed with it myself because it's not as intuitive as Gaia to me, but the historical maps available are really neat.

nickw

Adventurer
I'm going to check out Guru, thanks for the tip.

I'm still using Gaia a lot since I'm familiar with it and have a lot of tracks saved. I'm a pretty basic user so it's mostly just recording tracks on rides or hikes. I also use it for following tracks as a second to my GPS.

Some friends use CalTopo and really like it. I haven't meshed with it myself because it's not as intuitive as Gaia to me, but the historical maps available are really neat.
Gaia has a lot of historical maps also, going back to the 1930's in some areas. I also find the Gaia "Private Property" map to be very useful, especially when I am looking into routes in/around BLM land. It's hard to say where easements are until you get feet on the ground, but you can at least know if you are approaching private property or it's a straight shot through public lands.

seeNik48

Adventurer
I use Avenza to track my routes, add waypoints, plan trips loosely. I used Gaia for private lands on their Gaia Topo base layer. What I don’t like about Gaia is that you have to have the same layer downloads on each device. Nope, have to be the same as in the Cloud even tho download to your device hard drive. I would like different layers so I can have more info. If you have too many layers, the info gets muddled and download file size increases. I like to download as we are often without cell service. Now, private land layer has disappeared on two iPads and my cell phone. It is still in my old iPad but I only use that one for music and photos to download. I have a query into tech support so help us hopefully on the way.

OnX has private lands but difficult to download and has immense file size. I am looking at Topo Maps+ as an alternative. Has anyone else tried it?

RandyP

Adventurer
I use Avenza to track my routes, add waypoints, plan trips loosely. I used Gaia for private lands on their Gaia Topo base layer. What I don’t like about Gaia is that you have to have the same layer downloads on each device. Nope, have to be the same as in the Cloud even tho download to your device hard drive. I would like different layers so I can have more info. If you have too many layers, the info gets muddled and download file size increases. I like to download as we are often without cell service. Now, private land layer has disappeared on two iPads and my cell phone. It is still in my old iPad but I only use that one for music and photos to download. I have a query into tech support so help us hopefully on the way.

OnX has private lands but difficult to download and has immense file size. I am looking at Topo Maps+ as an alternative. Has anyone else tried it?
Have you tried CalTopo ?

RandyP

Adventurer
I have taken a look at it but really want the Private Land layer on Gaia to work. I am okaying around with Topo Maps+ and like what they offer. So many app options out there.
Cal Topo has extensive current and history fire data avilable.........

seeNik48

Adventurer
What I am really after is the Private Lands layer to prevent our trespassing. It was there and now it is not. OnX has a layer but it would have a huge file size.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The private land layer is one of our standards for many reasons. Knowing you are NOT on private property is a good thing. 👍 We typically have private land, public land, satellite, historic topo, and USGS topo layers on.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Just realized you are having trouble with private land layer showing…. I have had that problem once on my Iphone. Full IOS and Gaia app update fixed it. Though I have found some areas/regions simply do not have private land info available. The layer is only as good as the data supplied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears