Someone Save this FJ45

CliffClavin

Observer
Ran across this truck while up in Michigan for work. Was driving around killing a bit of time and I spotted it from the road.

DSCN1480.JPG

DSCN1491.JPG

Frame looked pretty solid as did the interior and the drive-train. Body had some pretty good rust spots on it but the floor looked solid. Tag showed it was last registered in 2004 and it had a some type of 1998 Land Rover club decal on the dash. House out front looked empty and none of the neighbors were home. If I lived closer I would think about trying to track down the owner. There was also a FJ60 sitting right next to it that looked to be in about the same condition. Truck is located near Lapeer, MI. Drop me a line if you want directions on were to find it.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I'm up for a challenge. If you find out the LC is really cheap-or even free let me know and I'll do all I can to come get it, I've even got some family up there to help with the details.

MDH33

Observer
I know that rig. My brother looked at it for me a few years ago. Surprised it's still sitting there. I think they were asking $7000 then. I believe it had a 350 in it and was very rusted.

More pics (couple of years old):

81438476_YYmkj-M.jpg

81438497_c2Z7S-M.jpg

81438523_EDVMN-M-1.jpg

81438556_5WkvB-M.jpg

81438570_92Lvr-M.jpg

81438650_DCeAk-M-1.jpg

81438587_VKz5t-M.jpg

blupaddler

Conspirator
Which explains why it is still sitting there. People have an idea they are rare or find one on #*&!bay that went for big $$$ and think theirs is worth the same...
(sorry off my box now)

Hopefully someone can pick it up and change a cruisers life expectancy...
:coffee:

cydonia-jacc

Observer
I grew up in Imlay City. I'm really not interested in a project like that right now but I'm curious what road is that house on?

CliffClavin

Observer
I know that rig. My brother looked at it for me a few years ago. Surprised it's still sitting there. I think they were asking $7000 then. I believe it had a 350 in it and was very rusted.

More pics (couple of years old):

81438476_YYmkj-M.jpg

Yep that is the one. Grass is grown up quite a bit more and the body rust is a good bit worse but doesn't look like it has moved since you took your pictures.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
4668 Genesee Rd. Lapeer, MI

A little time on google earth, and I think I've isolated it! House does appear to be abandoned, for some time...

The property does not have a phone number (worth a try), so a little research will have to be done with the county.

Local DMV office number is 888-767-6424. Start your inquiry for SX 0034. Hopefully, you can get a name and number to start with from there... I'm thinking someone who has lost their house will be much more likely to "short" sell a vintage cruiser.

The_Mrs. said no, but I would be happy to assist anyone who is going to jump on it. :ylsmoke:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
It is could be restored....I think most of you can see that.

Good luck to who ever tries to get this! :victory:

MDH33

Observer
It is could be restored....I think most of you can see that.

Good luck to who ever tries to get this! :victory:

No question that it's restorable, I was just mentioning that the owner was looking to get $7000 for it when I looked. Not exactly a price in line with a rig needing a full resto. I'm not even sure the frame was good, the gap between the cab and bed looked really uneven, as if the frame was bending/drooping. Also, it will need a drive train as it was pretty cobbled togeher and certainly hasn't been run in many years. Notice the homebrew fuel tank plumbed in the bed?

But, if someone can pick it up for nothing, it would certainly make for a fun project if you had the time and $ to sink into it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
true...I wasn't implying it is worth $7k. What something is worth though really just comes down to the guy with cash in hand who may want it.

And maybe a truck like this is better served being done up as a rock crawler or similar, if it really is as bad as you say. Regardless....it is worth saving! :)

CliffClavin

Observer
Yeah, when I first saw it the gap between the cab and bed concerned me but after getting under it the frame looks solid, I think it is just the mounts on the bed are rusted and giving up.

A cool rig, not worth the near $7k. Hope someone here can figure a way to save it.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If someone does pick it up, give AQUALU Industries in Kelowna BC a call and talk to Todd Grundstahl. He is a buddy of mine who I asked "could you make an aluminum tub for an FJ40?" That was in 1991. Check out their website to see what has happened in 18 years...:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger