Something a bit larger than your average Ford, Dodge, Chevy...

peneumbra

Explorer
:Wow1: I've acquired a nice used Peterbilt 357 6X6 truck for a very reasonable price. Low miles, C15 CAT engine, 18speeds, 22K front axle and 46K rears, double-framed, air suspension, etc.

What am I going to do with it? Well, it would make a nice base for a GXV-type camper. Has a 220 inch wheelbase, so not too long; lots of ground clearance; holds (I think) 200-plus gallons of fuel.

Of course, I could just cruise around town, looking for people who are stuck in snowdrifts...

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
What mods do you have planned? I've seen some people turn similar projects into some bad *** trucks/adventure rigs.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Only on ExPo :sombrero:

It's short compared to this:

attachment.php

Joking aside, I'm sure the OP won't be rock crawling with it. For general logging road long distance expeditions, I'm sure it'll be fine. I've taken my old Prevost bus conversion down more dirt roads than your average SUV...

peneumbra

Explorer
Yeah, not a truck you'd want to do the Rubicon with. What I guess really amazes me is that you pay - what? - around $50,000 for a new one-ton 4x4 pickup w/ all the bells and whistles, and they're still very expensive after they're a couple of years old.

But the depreciation on these really large and really expensive large Class 8 trucks is just astounding. A couple of years on them and the price goes down to half or less, even with not many miles on the clock. It's all connected to supply and demand: how many of us are in the market for a truck that has 10-wheel-drive and can legally gross 68,000 pounds?

The registration on this kind of truck as a commercial vehicle is considerable. So I won't register this until I can do so as an RV, thus saving enough money to maybe fill the fuel tanks, at least...

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

First order of business should be sticking some HEMTT wheels on it.

Does it have hydraulics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998