Sometimes, It’s Best To Relinquish Control — A Newbie’s Backcountry Adventure Report

jgraphix73

Observer
Great trip report!
I enjoyed the photography and your framing of the shots.
It's unfortunate to read about your 'yota, but reading the friendships you made was worth it.
Thank you for sharing your adventure!

sbman

Yes, what was the name of the lake in your photos?

I had an '88 toyota 4x4 5 speed years ago, and it had a start button on the dash that allows you to start it in gear. You can get by without the clutch using that switch, you probably already know that though. I had a clutch problem a couple of times, shut the motor off, put it in first, press the button and start it in gear. Then use descending RPM sychro shifting to go through the gears. Can do everything except steep uphill starts and stop and go traffic, the only component it's a little hard on is the starter.

pmatusov

AK6PM
Yes, what was the name of the lake in your photos?

I had an '88 toyota 4x4 5 speed years ago, and it had a start button on the dash that allows you to start it in gear. You can get by without the clutch using that switch, you probably already know that though. I had a clutch problem a couple of times, shut the motor off, put it in first, press the button and start it in gear. Then use descending RPM sychro shifting to go through the gears. Can do everything except steep uphill starts and stop and go traffic, the only component it's a little hard on is the starter.
I think he had to cross the Sierras to get back home - a lot of steep hills, and potentially stop and go traffic on them.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Nice. Reminded me of a time when a friend waited for AAA-tow (which took many many hours since they couldn't find him) at a local's house. We went on without him and checked back before heading to town. We were concerned they were going to adopt him after feeding and entertaining him all day.

Learning to "roll with it" ain't always easy but its usually worth it.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Really great write up and pics...
I like the pacing of the story, the self reflection and best of all we got to hear from the "other fellow" who was along.

Many of my best memories are of when things went pear shaped, I didn't enjoy it at the time but learned plenty.

Thanks for putting it all out there and letting us tag along.
Looking forward to more.

alia176

Explorer
Nice pics and a good story. I need to work on my writing abilities. I used to own a '90 RRC, lots of great (some challenging) memories in that rig. Relinquishing control....I'm still working on that one......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998