SONICMASD's 98 Montero LS Build & Adventure Thread: Black Betty

Swift_45a

Observer
wives.....

LOL!!!

I had the same thought. And to think they would make the trek down to Mexico to maintain their polygamous life style, where apparently they still reside to this day. Apparently Mit Romney's family has some blood feuds, and clash with the Mexican drug cartels, so I can't underestimate their woman being able to pull a wagon through some tight spot when a hand is needed.

Mormon wives = original DAB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...exican-roots/2011/07/21/gIQAFGOXVI_story.html

Edit: Spartan women were more likely the first, but... you know what I meant.

Last edited:

snare

Adventurer
Was in Zion- Bryce-Escalante last May after the Overland Expo. Stunning area. We hiked down in to Bryce. It was incredible ! The Narrows in Zion is amazing too. I was also there (Zion-hiked the Narrows) last November (riding my KTM EXC on that trip).

I will be teaching at the Expo again, so hope to make it through those areas again, this time with the Gen 2.5.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Was in Zion- Bryce-Escalante last May after the Overland Expo. Stunning area. We hiked down in to Bryce. It was incredible ! The Narrows in Zion is amazing too. I was also there (Zion-hiked the Narrows) last November (riding my KTM EXC on that trip).

I will be teaching at the Expo again, so hope to make it through those areas again, this time with the Gen 2.5.

Very cool, what do you plan on teaching this year at Overland Expo?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
11/26/16: Another small trip report. Hit the trail with my friend and his LR Discovery II and took the 3 hour drive up to Sheep's Bridge. Though it is a long dirt road, it is in very good shape and you don't even need 2WD if it's not pouring rain.

Even though it is an easy trail, and a full day, we just wanted to check out a new spot and check it off the list, and have a soak in the hidden hot tub there.

Interestingly, I saw something very very rare: a bunch of JKs off of pavement! Probably because it is a good dirt road, so good in fact that when we reached the end we were only slightly surprised to find a Honda Civic parked there. You guys cannot imagine the hilarity/frustration of being stuck behind like 6 $50k Rubicons going 5mph on a road that my $4k Monty can easily go 20-30mph down. Goodtimes nonetheless!

Driving back at night I realized that I really need to add some extra lights to my rig. The stock headlights, even with upgraded Philips bulbs are not getting it done. Also, when I flick the high beams on, it turns off the headlights and only the long distance high beams are on. But if I hold the lever just enough to engage the high beams but not so much that it clicks, then I get both high beams and headlamps. Is that normal or do I have something broken?

IMG_5271.jpgIMG_5265.jpgIMG_5281.jpgIMG_5277.jpgIMG_5276.jpgIMG_5263.jpgIMG_5260.jpgIMG_5259.jpgIMG_5255.jpgIMG_5266.jpg

SONICMASD

Adventurer
11/27/16: My interior cargo net post was very popular but when I installed it I never thought to actually sit in the backseat. So like a month later when I did happen to sit back there I noticed that it came way too far forward and it was in the way for the heads of any (albeit rare for me) 2nd row adult passengers.

Quick mod: I took a section of plastic conduit and rolled the front of the net around it until it was back far enough behind the seats, zip tied it in place, and then reattached the cam straps to the grab handles. Problem solved and also the cargo basket has a lot less downward flex now.

IMG_5294.JPG
IMG_5295.JPG

snare

Adventurer
Very cool, what do you plan on teaching this year at Overland Expo?

I have taught many things at the past two Overland Expos. Emergency medical care, communication skills, navigation skills, and ultralight / minimalist overlanding on an enduro bike.

I will be in the Montero in May, so I will be sending them proposals for some more emergency medical, navigation, and communication classes, as well as a "My Favorite Overlanding Vehicle" , that will highlight the Montero.

snare

Adventurer
I hear that concern. I may not do it.
Realistically though, demos like that often get 10-20 attendees. Online articles and forums like this ExPo, are what got me interested in Monteros and they reach a lot more people than I will at an event like this.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
12/4/16: Another adventure in glorious AZ. 51 weeks ago my buddies and I wanted to go to the Verde Hot Springs. So we hop in my friends brand new 4runner and go up to Camp Verde and get to the road and...it's closed. I guess they close it after the first snowfall because they don't want city slickers in 2wds getting stuck/crashing out there on those roads.

Screw it I say, lets see if we can find a back way in from the south side of the river. So we look at Google Maps and see that Dugas road does indeed end at the hot springs but that it's a long road and totally unknown to us. So we head out and the going was slow because at the top of the plateu that is Pine Mtn there is a giant boulder field. My friend's stock 4runner was sliding all over the place on its all season tires because there was a lot of mud. We push on and get to the end of the plateau and begining of the descent down Pine Mtn. The cliff road had a good amount of snow on it and because of how much we were sliding on the easier section, and not knowing when the next spot to turn around might be, we decided to call it quits and head home in defeat.

I didn't have a Montero back then, I got my first one a few weeks after that trip, and that failed attempt of reaching the hot springs has been haunting me ever since. My friends are tired of my talking about Dugas Rd.

With the first good snowfall coming any day now, I decide we need to get this done now. Well, both my friends chicken out with their vehicles so I decide to break the first rule of 4x4ing and go at it with just 1 vehicle. So we set off at around 9:30am from Phoenix and got to Dugas around 11am. About 2 miles in we come across a dog on the road. At first we thought it was a coyote but then we saw its tag sparkling in the sun. So we stop, get it in the truck, and omg did it stink. It smelt like it had been rolling around in dead animals. We drive around asking campers and ranch owners about the dog and eventually manage to get through to the dog's owner by the phone number listed on the tag. She is about 2 miles away from us cutting firewood and the dog just suddenly ran off. So we backtrack and reunite the dog with her family. Yes, some good karma built up!

So now it's around noon and we're off! Heading up through the boulder field Betty is having zero issues, I'm not even getting out to pick a line, just point and drive and she crawls over anything. But at the same time, I keep remarking at how impressed I am that a stock 4runner did this trail with all season tires in the mud and snow. Unlike 51 weeks ago, our route is clear of mud and snow this time for the most part. There was just a tiny bit at the top of mountain on the shady side where we had to turn around last time.

We press on, and start the steep descent down the mountain. I finally take it out of 4H Unlocked and put it into 4L, mostly just to help save my brakes on the miles of descent. Shortly after the summit, there is a pretty rocky and serious section of cliff trail. My buddy had to actually get out of the car to spot me and we made it through first try though I did bump the rock sliders a couple times ever so slightly (christening the new sliders like a badge of honor). That section would have been tough with a stock 4wd and some undercarriage damage is certainly possible if you're not careful.

Then a few minutes later, near end of the ridge, we come up to a 1980s Nissan compact car that had rolled off the side. No idea why it is there but someone must have dragged it there because there is 0% chance that it drove there under it's own power over like 10 miles of boulders and sharp rocks.

A few more miles and about an hour later we get to the Hot Springs! Its about 3:30pm now and unfortunately we weren't able to stay to long, which is a shame because we had the place all to ourselves (probably because the North side road is closed and even if it wasn't, no one is willing to cross the cold river in December). So, we enjoy a soak and get back on the road at around 4:30pm. Not wanting to crawl up the narrow cliff road of Pine Mtn in the soon to be dark, I elect to roll the dice and take an unknown route that I scoped out online the day before. It looked longer but flatter, wider, and smoother.

So we head south instead of west and the first 20-30 miles are rocky but not boulder filled, and there isn't as much of an incline or decline so I was able to go around 10-15mph instead of the 5mph that I would probably have been doing up the ridge face. Then at around 6:30pm the road smooths out totally when you reach Bloody Basin road and for the last 1.5hours you can go like 30-40mph.

All in all, it was an awesome day. Betty continues to impress, not only in her offroadability but also in comfort and most importantly, reliability. This is the 3rd time I've driven her for over 6 hours in a single day and she hasn't missed a beat. She was only for nearly 12 hours today and for 10 hours we didn't see another soul. It's kind of crazy to think about, that in a state of 9 million people, around 5 million of which living within 100 miles of these trails, and during hunting season, no one else was out there.

Some cool things about this trip:

1. Dugas Rd Conquered, now let us never speak of it again.
2. Dog rescued.
3. Saw lots of animals: a family of Javelinas, 1 owl, 1 grey fox (first time, super rare), 5 cows, 1 squirrel, 2 rabbits, 1 young buck.
4. Got to soak in the hot springs on a nice cool December evening.
5. Tested out my new in car offroad navigation system which I will do a separate post about soon with all the details so stay tuned on that.
6. Beer
7. Old abandoned Nissan car.
8. No crowds out on the trail.

IMG_5346.jpgIMG_5348.jpgIMG_5353.jpgIMG_5355.jpgIMG_5356.jpgIMG_5391e.jpgIMG_5393e.jpgIMG_5394e.jpgIMG_5413e.jpgIMG_5422e.jpg

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Have you ever put a brake pad on backwards? I can now say that I have. Brain fart - the dig in the rotor looks worse than it is. I realized what that noise was pretty quickly. Haha

359e2d3d699cf6b77183e0c7331d6214.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Truck is looking great though dude, bummer on the rotor.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
01/04/17: Happy New Year! I've got a lot of goals for this project this year and there is no time to waste!

First things first: An easy reliability upgrade from ebay:
IMG_5511.jpg

Next, I explored replacing my center gauge cluster with one out of a 94 SR so that instead of the Oil Pressure and Voltmeter I would have an Inclinometer and Altimeter. I had pulled a center gauge cluster from a 94 out of the junk yard a year ago but unfortunately the inclinometer had leaked all of it's fluid out. So I sealed it up with clear silicone and then refilled it with mineral oil. Despite this, it does not work. When I tilt it to one side or the other it doesn't respond. I think some small linkage inside is broken.
IMG_5451.jpg

No biggie, looks like some Chinese company is making new manufacture replicas:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122225898888?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also, the previous gen of compass needed a new light bulb and it is a different size than the compass that appeared in 95. After much searching I found the part mitsu #MB898179 and got one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290834423856?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My initial plan was to install and ultra-gauge or scan gauge to monitor volts and oil pressure but I learned that these devices can't monitor oil pressure in Gen 2/2.5 Monteros so there goes that idea. But then I though, no biggie, I don't really need an oil pressure gauge and I'd rather have the inclinometer and altimeter. But the more I thought about it, the more I decided to keep the oil pressure gauge because if I do happen to leak oil on the trail, hopefully that gauge will help me spot a potential problem. And even though this scenario is unlikely, I found ways to get an inclinometer and altimeter in the car without sacrificing the current gauge pack.

Instead of buying the Chinese inclinometer I bought 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Company-...F8&qid=1484278568&sr=8-5&keywords=level+gauge

The Mitsu inclinometers are known to leak and that is a lot of fluid running down behind the AC and Stero controls. So I'm going to mount one gauge for pitch and another for roll in different places in the cab. I'll take some photos once I decide where.

My question for you physicists: Does the height inside the cab where I mount the level matter? For example, if I mount it under the radio will it read differently than if I mount it near the ceiling? I'll definitely be able to find the answer in 2 weeks when I go wheeling again but am interested to see what you guys think.

And for the in-car alitmeter, I thought about buying a barometric Sun Company altimeter and mounting it on the dash: https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Moun...TF8&qid=1484278762&sr=8-10&keywords=altimeter

But just decided to download a free app on my iphone for now.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Silly question: are you able to shift your t-case from 2h to 4h while in motion? I swear i used to be able to in mine but now i can't. Wondering if maybe i need to get a white ball.

Love this thread, stealing many of your ideas. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater