sound proofing in van

jjohnny350

Adventurer
How much of a difference does it make? Just wondering if anybody who has put in sound proofing in their vans Fatmat, dynamat, or one of the many options. Has anybody measured the difference in sound decibel wise? Before and after? I am planning on doing mine but wondering how much better it makes it. Especially anybody with a diesel, 7.3 or 6.0. I know they help with thermals as well, insulation, keeping it warmer and cooler. Also what are opinions on the best stuff, price vs performance, value etc? Thanks.

ddog45

Adventurer
I have been using the rattle trap xtreme that can be purchased on amazon lately for customers vw vans, it makes a huge night and day differance. It seems to work as good as any of the other brands we have tried and is easy to apply.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Use those products but also use mass loaded vinyl for real sound proofing. MLV is what will block the noise. There is a lot to read on the subject. Check this site; http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ as well as any car audio forum. I have a roll of mlv and have installed it only in my front doors so far. No big change in sound yet. But I've read enough and convinced myself that I'm going to finish the project someday by doing the front floor/firewall area, dog house and up the walls to the windows all around. I have just started on the rear wheel wells recently. If I ever get it done, I will report back.

philos

Explorer
I've had good luck using a combination of materials to battle the different types of sound.
Damplifier (like Dynomat, etc) for rattles and to make the doors go THUMP when you close them.
MLV or similar (I use Ensolite, I get a hookup deal) for road noise and for a little insulation.
Thermozite or similar (it's foil-backed jute padding) for heat and a little noise reduction.
I'm trying out a DIY urethane bedliner that I sprayed on the roof and floor of my van; Haven't finished the other stuff yet (Ensolite, jute, damplifier), but so far it seems like there are less rattles.
I stick the ensolite on the side panels, roof, and inside doors, jute on the floors. Damplifier goes underneath those in strategic places.
my .02

philos

Explorer
Also, the people who make Damplifier also make a water based spray on sound deadener called Spectrum... I'm considering adding it to my van when I get the time and money to do the rest.

Never heard of thinsulate being used before. Does it come in rolls? How thick can you get it? Can you glue it like the other materials? Sounds interesting

Sent via flux capacitor

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Yeah, but for the price, I think that the Thermozite seems like the way to go. It's recycled soda bottles, so it shouldn't absorb moisture like the jute/cotton alternatives.

southpier

Expedition Leader
thanks for that link, bk.

I read a build thread and the guy used it including snaking it into the van's ribs with a piece of coat hanger or wire.

it seems like a good weight/ toxicity compromise, so I thought there might be some more comments. I like the dynamat type product for the first offensive, but also want something behind the panels for thermal & sound attenuation.

http://dinoevo.de/insulation/

Last edited:

_hein_

Observer
We have 3M Thinsulate SM600L available for sale. It is engineered for vehicle use.
Combines sound and thermal insulation into a safe, lightweight & easy to install product.

Please see our ad in the classifieds section over at the Sprinter-Source:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30422

Thank you,
Hein
Impact, Inc.
Hood River, OR

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
Made some progress today, still lots to do.

I used an eBay Damplifier knockoff and some ensolite. Still have more of these two products, then I'm gonna try reflectix over that...
Pics in no order ;)

ene6ereh.jpg

ezy3u6es.jpg

bynatuqu.jpg

junugype.jpg

by6u6yju.jpg

aba6a5a2.jpg

bu3yse2u.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members