Sourcing axles from common vehicles ?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"That said, I think regs in your part of the world require/prefer hydraulic surge brakes? I may be wrong on that."

regulations........ha

There are no regulations- if you take a look at the local regs there is only one and to date one I've not seen inforced.

if towing a trailer, a car behind the trailer is required with flashing indicators- thats it !

being that it will be a lightweight trailer for a couple of dirt bikes brakes would be overkill

Pics soon to follow

alfio

Adventurer
any other leads on IRS set-ups like this subaru (borrowed from the deepmud's DIY subaru suspension trailer thread)? there are so few subaru's around here i'd like to get a few more options.

alfio

1x1_Speed_Craig

Here is a 2003 Caravan. Looks to be more of a box tube between the hub assemblies, single leaf sprung and a panhard bar to keep it from moving around too much. Didn't measure WMS but it is 64" from center of tires. Probably not that suitable for dragging over rocks & such.

We did have a mid/early 90's Caravan with the boxier style, and I recall that having a solid I-beam drop rear axle, almost like a Model T style. I believe it also had a several inch drop down which, if reversed could yield the same inches of increased clearance.

Can someone enlighten me on the potential use of one of these Dodge minivan rear axles for my trailer build?

I'll want to use OEM Jeep Ravine wheels (5 x 4.5" BP, 5.25" of backspacing) on the trailer that I'll be pulling behind my 2005 Jeep LJ (~60.5" rear axle width). It's a "little Jeep" riding on a budget boost and 31" x 10.5" BFG MT KM2s.

I'm looking at new Dexter axles, but 1) wasn't impressed with the service I got when I called Dexter, and 2) want to conserve $$$ to use elsewhere on my project (and on outings with my daughters :sombrero:).

My Jeep has a ~5' wide rear axle. The donor for the '05 Tacoma truck bed I'm using is around 66.5" wide with the same wheel backspacing (5.25") as the Jeep. I don't need to go that wide, but that's what was on the vehicle originally.

My trailer frame is 2" x 3" box-section tubing, with an outside-to-outside measurement of 41".

Would something like this work in my application (flipped for more clearance, perhaps)? It'll be used 90% on the road, and 10% on 2-track/mild offroad.

Craig

deepmud

Adventurer
Rear%20Suspensions4.gif

This is pretty much exactly what I've seen under older Dodge mini-vans - and it looks like you'd have to fab spring mounts.

I still say Suby :D

Really - it's such a supple ride, it really helps your trailer and STUFF survive a beating. Given the huge mileage I've put on my trailer, both on and off-road, I wouldn't hesitate to build a new one - but I won't have to :smiley_drive:- it's old enough to get a driver's license (since I converted to a trailer :D) but still running strong. I may build a new top for it - the old one is mostly a box for stuff, no covered cooking area, tho' it still worked fine to "pull over and cook".

Plus I'm pretty serious when I say offroad capable.

mrayjimcreek024.jpg

This pic is from 2005, and it's STILL rolling along. It's my first choice to collect up to a thousand pounds or so of lumber or sheetrock. I think about putting stakesides on it - it would be easy to throw junk in it and not have to strap it down, and I could use 'em( stake holes) to hold down the box too.

I'm going to put some toyota 6 hole rims on it so it will keep up with my Zuk.

wellsetuprigs.jpg

1x1_Speed_Craig

Can someone enlighten me on the potential use of one of these Dodge minivan rear axles for my trailer build?

I'll want to use OEM Jeep Ravine wheels (5 x 4.5" BP, 5.25" of backspacing) on the trailer that I'll be pulling behind my 2005 Jeep LJ (~60.5" rear axle width). It's a "little Jeep" riding on a budget boost and 31" x 10.5" BFG MT KM2s.

I'm looking at new Dexter axles, but 1) wasn't impressed with the service I got when I called Dexter, and 2) want to conserve $$$ to use elsewhere on my project (and on outings with my daughters :sombrero:).

My Jeep has a ~5' wide rear axle. The donor for the '05 Tacoma truck bed I'm using is around 66.5" wide with the same wheel backspacing (5.25") as the Jeep. I don't need to go that wide, but that's what was on the vehicle originally.

My trailer frame is 2" x 3" box-section tubing, with an outside-to-outside measurement of 41".

Would something like this work in my application (flipped for more clearance, perhaps)? It'll be used 90% on the road, and 10% on 2-track/mild offroad.

Craig

I'm still trying to figure out an axle solution that'll allow me to use my Jeep Ravine wheels, but I'm having a hard time locating information on these Caravan beam axles. Whatever I use, I need to be able to keep 5 x 4.5" wheel bolt pattern, and have enough clearance for the 5.25" backspacing. I did find a 2004 Caravan locally (salvage yard), and their website states $200 for the rear axle...pricey, in my eyes. I haven't talked with them directly, though.

Which years would give me ~61-65" WMS-to-WMS, and use leaf springs?

Craig

has anyone looked into a Honda CR-V rear end - or alternatively a Ford Escape. Not sure about the Escape, but I think the rear on our CR-V was all part of a sub frame - would want to get one that wasn't AWD. It would be a decient indepentent suspension though...

Last edited:

alfio

Adventurer
bump - any other sources on potential trailer axles? i would love to find a subaru but there are none to be had around these parts. something else has to have a decent IRS...

alfio

Adventurer
I found a neat one.
http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9091

Beefy solid axle, long flexy springs, removeable-replaceable spindle, off-shelf parts at chrysler/dodge dealerships (as long as they don't go bankrupt :( ) - and when flipped it has lot of clearance. I like IRS more myself but this looks good to me.

the OP in the link you posted didn't specify the year of the donor voyager but i found some very basic diagrams on this site which shows the same basic setup for dodge caravans through the Generation IV platform (2001–2007). from what i can tell Generation III (1996–2000) vans (caravans, voyagers, etc) also have the same suspension in the rear. there's a pdf of one of those setups about half way down this page.

in short, there should be no shortage of potential donor models/years.

i like this option because there should be tons of donor vehicles given the durability of these vans and it should be very capable of carrying lots of weight (perfect for my purposes) but not knowing anything about dodge, etc. i wouldn't know where to begin to match the bolt pattern on my toyota (six lug) and the width might be an issue.

in any case, this calls for a trip to the junkyard :victory:

will do more digging on this and report back

Last edited:

deepmud

Adventurer
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_5_To_6_Lug_4_5_p/5450-6450u.htm

5450-6550Q-2T.jpg

I think that would solve the bolt pattern issue - you would not want a wide offset wheel but if you had "normal" offset it would likely hold up fine. Or have the hubs filled(welded) and drilled to your spec.

I can't think of a common IRS "axle" like the subaru or VW. The Dodge Van option may be your best bet outside of getting an AT suspension. I'd go for it. There is something to be said going for something you can get parts for at any NAPA :smiley_drive:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I don't know if you get them in the US, but a lot of the European manufacturer's large vans have front wheel drive with high capacity rear axle units.

renault master, renault traffic, citroen relay, citroen berlingo, LDV Maxus, LDV pilot, peugeot partner, etc

Here's a couple on UK ebay:

ford transit connect
!CDBO0IgCWk~$(KGrHqMOKooE0fj-3E(GBNNJ-Lb4nQ~~_12.JPG

citroen berlingo
!C!QytvgEWk~$(KGrHqV,!iUE0GshyQ4nBNCQJqb70Q~~_12.JPG

deepmud

Adventurer
I saw this today in Petersen's 4wheel and Offroad.
http://www.timbren.com/rubber-suspensions.htm

silent-ride-tandem-axle-med.jpg

It's for a straight axle, but has many of the characteristics of trailing arm ( it swings up and away from the oncoming bump) and oddly enough the picture in the magazine looked to be independent, not a solid axle. It would perhaps take a second link that was lined up exactly with the pivot to make your own indepentent conversion if the Timbren arm isn't up to the twist/side loads on it's own.

alfio

Adventurer
I think that would solve the bolt pattern issue - you would not want a wide offset wheel but if you had "normal" offset it would likely hold up fine. Or have the hubs filled(welded) and drilled to your spec.

I can't think of a common IRS "axle" like the subaru or VW. The Dodge Van option may be your best bet outside of getting an AT suspension. I'd go for it. There is something to be said going for something you can get parts for at any NAPA :smiley_drive:

thanks for the links. i am starting this project by picking up a pickup bed (toyota 4x4) tomorrow (weather permitting) and will probably follow up by sourcing the dodge van suspension. still need to measure to make sure all will go well but i agree that given the lack of IRS options, the van axle is a pretty cool second option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle