Southern California to Vancouver and back (almost) - in a 96 5 speed

crystalclear

Observer
Still have around 1,000 to go (approx 4,000 round trip) - but thought I would share some of the progress.
Almost 3k miles in, and have only had to add a bit of oil.

12hrs of driving and found a nice place to begin.

IMG_5432.jpg

Love big trees and dirt roads.

IMG_5428.jpg

I spend most my time in drier climates - so this is a welcome change.

IMG_1081.jpg

Apparently gold mining is still big in Oregon for those that are having a tough time earning a normal days wages, met a few interesting folk in the back country.

IMG_1089.jpg

The heat is definitely on all across the west - so much time swimming was spent here. Deep clear, cold pools.

IMG_1094.jpg

The coast of Washington is really nice - remote or not, it all looks great.

IMG_5825.jpg

I'll add some real pics to this thread later (all iphone pics for now).

Also, as my 6 year old has pointed out - there are more Lamborghinis than D1s on the road today.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing. Keep the 5 speeds on the road and finding adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crystalclear

Observer
up to this point, ive tried to stay on roads less traveled, and that seem a bit more remote and secluded, but after countless hours of exploring backcountry roads, my conclusion is that some really nice roads lead nowhere,

IMG_1181.jpg

and some roads that are "boring" lead to some amazing places.

IMG_1174.jpg

not another person to be seen here

IMG_1169.jpg

and a little lr love:

IMG_1147.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg

and it finally threw a p0150 code - never a trip without at least one.
IMG_1176.jpg

Last edited:

crystalclear

Observer
after having spent a lot of time in the woods, the beach has proven to be fun.
10-15psi and a heavy foot got us through most - being loaded to the brim made things a bit harder than they should have been.

IMG_1188.jpg

the time of day was perfect. dunes were lit up very nicely.

IMG_1191.jpg

ive always wanted to drive on a beach, and in california, that is hard to find.

IMG_5963.jpg
IMG_5964.jpg

journey is almost over - and the d1 will need a little love in the form of a wash and a small fix or two, but a few hundred miles left to go

IMG_5982.jpg

Howski

Looks like a great trip with a good variety of landscapes. Glad your using D1 as intended and stretching the legs.

rallye20 - those appear to be 16" LR steel wheels from the NAS Defender 110. I believe they are either NLA or very pricey if you can track them down

DiscoDavis

Explorer
wheels part no. anr1534

tires: goodyear duratracs 235/85

FYI for anyone those are the unicorn camel trophy wheels (one ton) from the 110's and NAS 110s, can't recall if the discos used the normal nato steelies instead. OP could always sell the set for a mint and use the cash to get more natos and a buttload of kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger