Southern route from San Diego to Texas for the eclipse

Macfly

Anyone got any thoughts on great places to take in and explore heading overland as much as possible doing a more or less I-8/I-10 & along the border route from SoCal to Texas.

Really want to spend time at White Sands, but love any other tips of amazing spots. This is my rough route plan so far, but totally open to advice and suggestions.

IMG_8574.PNG

pluton

Adventurer
I was contemplating a driving trip to possibly meet relatives in Austin for the eclipse; The southern route angle makes it more interesting. Of course, any alternative is better than travelling by superhighways.
Looks like it might be an excellent trip, but it'd be nice if there was a bit more detail. None of the roads are labelled. I do recognize the Camino del Diablo segment. What is your time estimate for the trip illustrated?

Olive236

Observer
Been all over that country. Get off the interstates if you can. Looking at the planned route seems you've got Big Bend in TX, well worth it! Might add: Organ Pipe NM in AZ, a photo op at Prada Marfa, a rest stop at the Marfa Lights roadside rest and an over night stay at Seminole Canyon state park in TX.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
+1 on avoiding the interstates. I just drove AZ to MI through TX,AR, and up to IL.

Their interstates are better than some, but much worse than just a few years ago.

Hit the secondary roads, slow down, and enjoy the view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior