Spacekap Diablo 6 Build

xyzzyxch

The purpose of the hull liner is to hold moisture in micro droplets on a large surface area allowing it to evaporate quickly and not form large droplets that run down the walls. The closed cell foam keeps moisture from getting between it and the fiberglass shell. There is no air gap between the foam and the fiberglass.
Thanks! This explains what I'm worried about.

simple

Adventurer
Thanks! This explains what I'm worried about.
The draw back of hull liner on boats and campers is that it will eventually build up dust in the fibers. Most dust is organic matter and if it builds up, it could eventually be a bed for fungus and mildew. My plan is to vacuum it off once a year and keep the interior as dry as possible. Nothing is perfect or lasts forever.

xyzzyxch

The draw back of hull liner on boats and campers is that it will eventually build up dust in the fibers. Most dust is organic matter and if it builds up, it could eventually be a bed for fungus and mildew. My plan is to vacuum it off once a year and keep the interior as dry as possible. Nothing is perfect or lasts forever.
True "nothing will last forever". I'll keep that in mind.

I try to get my build started pretty soon and I'll post pictures if I got good ones?

Drifter2023

I appreciate you providing insight on your SpaceKap build and the details on the issues/problems you encountered with the Diablo. Definitely gives me pause as I was short listing a SpaceKap build as an option for me.

Question - did you attach the extrusion cabinetry to anything ? or is it gravity keeping all of it in place - which I think might be ok if all of them are connected together ?

simple

Adventurer
I appreciate you providing insight on your SpaceKap build and the details on the issues/problems you encountered with the Diablo. Definitely gives me pause as I was short listing a SpaceKap build as an option for me.

Question - did you attach the extrusion cabinetry to anything ? or is it gravity keeping all of it in place - which I think might be ok if all of them are connected together ?
The extruded framing is attached to the bolts that hold the jack mounting plates as well as bolted to the shell in a few other places.

simple

Adventurer
Any idea of the final weight as built?
I never weighed it but If I were to guess, I'd say 1100-1200 with everything in it.

I didn't need to make any modifications to my gm 1500 suspension to haul it. It rides smooth and quiet. All the weight is on the floor so there isn't much sway. I've driven it up the Mt Baker Hwy over a dozen times in the snow and didn't feel that I needed to compensate my driving for it. If you don't know that road, it is narrow, steep and twisty.

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

Great writeup with a lot of good info. Very nice aluminum build out in there. The honeycomb bed panel is interesting, do you have a source or more specs on that, if I wanted to get some for a bed platform? Thx.

simple

Adventurer
Great writeup with a lot of good info. Very nice aluminum build out in there. The honeycomb bed panel is interesting, do you have a source or more specs on that, if I wanted to get some for a bed platform? Thx.
Thanks. Those panels are from Carbon Core.

Last edited:

reggaerv

Hey m
I was avoiding being specific but I will share my experience with quality. There were build / quality issues with both units that I think could be variable depending on the particular assembler / builder and quality inspection personnel that I will skip the details of but an example is a door hinge installed upside down. I'll focus on issues with design and construction methods.

I ordered two shells so I only have 2 data points.
  • The design of the rear door seals are such that rain water leaks in on both units. Day 1.
  • The door bulb seals sag down a few weeks after install and catch on the door latches causing them to tear. 1 month.
  • A large crack appeared in the gelcoat at the stress point created by the end of a vertical rib. 6 months and first long trip.
  • The truck cab slider window installed at Spacekap leaks. First time out.
  • One of the side windows installed at Spacekap leaked causing the bottom of the plywood ribs to swell creating 4 bulges in the side of the shell. 8 months.
  • There is some kind of rusty color stain dripping out from behind the trim that is applied over the seam of the top and bottom halves of the shell. 8 months.

Regarding Spackap customer service, I believe they will do their best to make things right for their customers. For me it has been many phone calls and emails and pulling teeth and still not sorted. Given the issues I had from the start it wouldn't be feasible to offer a camper with a warrantee and provide good customer service.

The ultimate takeaway is that they build a product for a different market that is satisfied with it. They are not interested in making changes so that their product meets the requirements of the RV market. Totally understandable as they are currently running at capacity and have no incentive to change anything.
Hey man. I just picked up an 8 foot spacekap. I’m in the pnw just like you. Curious what your solution was for getting the back door to be more water tight. You located in Bellingham by any chance?

simple

Adventurer
Hey m

Hey man. I just picked up an 8 foot spacekap. I’m in the pnw just like you. Curious what your solution was for getting the back door to be more water tight. You located in Bellingham by any chance?
Hi,
I am in the Ham.

Water runs off of the roof and then right into the gap above the doors. The way the seals are designed it just funnels water straight in the unit.

I put a stick on rubber J channel above the rear doors that slopes down on the ends and channels water away from the tops of the doors. Seems to have solved the problem.

Look closely at the picture of the camper in front of the ski lift and you will see it.

reggaerv

Hi,
I am in the Ham.

Water runs off of the roof and then right into the gap above the doors. The way the seals are designed it just funnels water straight in the unit.

I put a stick on rubber J channel above the rear doors that slopes down on the ends and channels water away from the tops of the doors. Seems to have solved the problem.

Look closely at the picture of the camper in front of the ski lift and you will see it.

Epic. How do you load and unload your camper? Did you buy the jacks they recommend?

simple

Adventurer
Epic. How do you load and unload your camper? Did you buy the jacks they recommend?
I've used the jacks and also done the forklift method. For the most part I leave it on all the time. I've never been a fan of mounting and demounting campers.

Shawn686

Observer
Hi,
I am in the Ham.

I can also recommend these. I used a strip of this above the door on my leer topper and have not had a drop of water in since.

Shawn

reggaerv

I've used the jacks and also done the forklift method. For the most part I leave it on all the time. I've never been a fan of mounting and demounting campers.
I feel ya. Hoping to set mine up so I can still have bed space to haul wood dump ******** etc. do you have supports in bed of the truck or is it just laying on the bed. I’m wondering if the floor needs more support in between the truck bed and the unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior