Speedometer cable won't reach transfer case tail housing

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
The stock 1990 E250 2WD speedo cable is 92 inches. With the transfer case added behind the 4x4 transmission I need at least 108 inches to reach the speedo hole in the transfer case tail housing. What baffles me is that the 4x4 F250/350s all specify the 92-inch cable; how could it be long enough?

Anyway, does anyone know a custom speedo shop that would make a longer cable? 92-inch is the longest I could find with the same end fitting as that of the old speedo cable.

SpeedoCable.jpg

Last edited:
call mike at Gails speedometer in Costa Mesa, CA

ive used him for 15+ years, the shop i work for has used them for forever. he will make you a cable no sweat, not sure if youll have to send him a core to nab the ends off the housing, or if theyre available separately, but if it can be built, he can make it.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
call mike at Gails speedometer in Costa Mesa, CA

ive used him for 15+ years, the shop i work for has used them for forever. he will make you a cable no sweat, not sure if youll have to send him a core to nab the ends off the housing, or if theyre available separately, but if it can be built, he can make it.

Thank you so much; I will be calling him first thing Monday.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Pioneer products, most parts stores will carry there line of parts, CA-3054 is what it looks like you have. You have a speed sensor, weather it be for the E4OD transmission or cruise control.

At this point I can usually find a different application. But 92" is about as long as they come. The only thing listed over 100" is for a Honda Prelude of all things, and the ends are wrong. So it looks to be a custom cable. I could find recore kits that are cut to length. 83" or 120". But they are cores only, not the outer sheath.

As for the trucks not working, that is about right. Sure the transfer case is a lot further back then a 2WD, but the passenger compartment is also a lot further back as well. The dash to floor height I think is a little shorter on a truck as well. So weather it be luck or by design the parts bin engineering worked for Ford in the Econoline has the same speedo cable as the 4WD trucks. I can find that same cable also available in as short as 36" (part#CA3053).

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I've got a few products from ISSPRO. Very good stuff. Didn't think about them for this, I've always used there electrical products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears