Speedometer correction 98-04 Tacoma

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have experience with any of these aftermarket speedometer correction tools? Not much data out there on the net comparing the three. My speedometer is 10mph fast with the current gear/tire combo and I am looking into fixing that.

The Dakota Digital Universal Speedometer Signal Interface. Retails for 80 bucks. Looks like it is not adjustable.

The Yellow Box from Black Robotics. Retails for 100 bucks. Website claims it is adjustable.

TruSpeed Sensor from Superlift. Retails for over 200 bucks and is also adjustable.

How much performance is being lost due to incorrect speed being given to the computer? The Superlift site claims that there are noticable performance losses.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
Does anyone have experience with any of these aftermarket speedometer correction tools? Not much data out there on the net comparing the three. My speedometer is 10mph fast with the current gear/tire combo and I am looking into fixing that.

The Dakota Digital Universal Speedometer Signal Interface. Retails for 80 bucks. Looks like it is not adjustable.

The Yellow Box from Black Robotics. Retails for 100 bucks. Website claims it is adjustable.

TruSpeed Sensor from Superlift. Retails for over 200 bucks and is also adjustable.

How much performance is being lost due to incorrect speed being given to the computer? The Superlift site claims that there are noticable performance losses.

well at least you can correct your Chuck! My '96 is sol from what everyone tells me. Since there is no easy to get to gear in the case and no electronic speedo I can't do anything onther then rely on my lowrance trip computer for a speedo! It drives me crazy.

erin

Explorer
I think Scott has used the Truspeed with good success. I know mine is off also, but I don't think quite 10 mph though.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
erin said:
I think Scott has used the Truspeed with good success. I know mine is off also, but I don't think quite 10 mph though.

Yeah, Scott and I recently talked about TruSpeed, but if I can get er done for 100 bucks less, I might do that. Not sure.

I checked my speed with a GPP and a local speed trap. it's about 9.5 - 10 mph over that actual. We have the same basic setup, I figured you'd be about the same Erin.

Ursidae69 said:
From my own experience running the "wrong" tire size for quite a while...there's nothing noticeable other than an increase in fuel required to overcome the increased torque necessary to move a larger tire. If there's anything else, other than maybe reduction in efficiency of the cruise control, it's big news to me. Superlift's ad makes a not-so-veiled, weasel-worded reference to authority in stating that the ECM is all goofed up, therefore causing a "subtle yet real" decrease in efficiency. My guess is you won't be able to tell a difference without the butt-o-meter.

The vehicle speed sensor (probably in the transfer case or somewhere, some vehicles I think have it in the tranny) only seems to feed the ADD computer in my truck (a 2000my Tundra), which limits engagement to below a certain rpm in the tcase (it's about 50mph or so). If you have ADD, just keep using the vehicle speedometer for the shift/no-shift point, it will be correct, but with the calibrator, depending on where it's installed (before or after the tap to the ADD), the new cutoff point would be at a higher indicated speed than before...original speed plus the correct percentage increase in tire size. Since the guage is currently reading low, I wouldn't worry about it, since the threshold is effectively increased with larger tires, stock gears and a calibration unit. Once you change the differential gearing it'll be back to normal...just always keep in mind the vehicle does its job (or doesn't) based on rpm, not speed, since actual speed can vary based on so many things inside or outside the vehicle--speed is just what the cop measures, to put it bluntly.

My guess is shift points are determined by load, throttle request, current rpm or all three, not vehicle speed. Anybody here familiar with auto trannies?

If you have a manual tranny and tcase, don't even sweat it...get any of them or don't, you're the ECM in that case. I wouldn't trust the Superlift ad any farther than I could throw a Superduty with 12" lift blocks.

As far as the units...it's really difficult to tell. I know some people using the TruSpeed with good results on Tundras. All those units will install "in-line" like the TruSpeed advertises and correct the odo, cruise, etc... The Dakota Digital product actually seems like the most tech-oriented, the TruSpeed is the most "black box"-like, the Yellr is somewhere in the middle, but they'll all do the same thing. I'd call 'em up and see how well each retailer/mfr knows the product, but my gut feeling is I'd get the Yellr since it's small and inexpensive with similar features as the others...

And thanks for the links :D. I'm about 13% off right now, been putting off calibration til after the BIG gear and tire swap.

-Sean

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Tru Speed works flawless for me so far, but it is expensive and the instructions are garbage...

Biggest benefit is switching between two tire sizes and ease of adjustment. Worth $200? Probably not.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Will places like a Toyota dealership or Discount Tires make these speedometer adjustments for substantially less than $200? Oddly enough, there is hardly a noticeable speedometer variance with 31" tires, but with the 33"s it's very pronounced. I've just gotten used to relying on the GPS for an accurate velocity reading.

erin

Explorer
Oddly enough, TZ, I had the same thoughts when I regeared. But the dealership told me it would have to be taken to a speedo shop, so you would have to pay for 2 markups. I did talk to a couple of speedo shops, and never was real comfortable with their answers, and it seemed like it would run over the $200 dollars for the aftermarket unit.

Chuck, we do have similar setups, but I think my speedo read slighty slow (? it's early right now) from the factory, but I never confirmed this. Everyone I have ever talked to with a similar rig was getting 3-4 mpg less than I was experiencing. But I always contributed that to mine being a manual, and all the others were autos. I think when I checked mine with my little gps, it was off about 6-7 mph, which seems correct because when I read 75 on the speedo, I get passed by most everyone, and am not quite at 3000rpm, but bump up to 80-82, and I hang right with everyone, right at 3000 rpm.

BCJC

Adventurer
sorry if this is a hijack, but does anyone have a link or simple formula for tire size and differential change, in regards to speedo correction? cheers.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Tru Speed works flawless for me so far, but it is expensive and the instructions are garbage...

Biggest benefit is switching between two tire sizes and ease of adjustment. Worth $200? Probably not.

Well, I picked up the TruSpeed for ~180 shipped. I'll try the install and document everything. My first impression is that I bit off more than I can chew with this mod, but I often feel that way at first. After I read the instructions a few more times it will be more clear I hope... :smilies27 I'll try to get this installed before the end of May and give a report.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Call me anytime bro. Not that bad of an install...

Thanks, appreciate it Scott. :victory: I'm sure the install and calibration will go okay once I tear into it.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Speedometer

p1michaud said:
Gents,
Apparently there is another option for '98-'04 Tacomas and it can be made to work with '95.5-'97 with a bit more effort.

Time for an update. After re-gearing from 4.10 to 4.56 and chaging tires from 31" to 32" I've gone ahead and changed my speedometer gear by 3 teeth as per the above link (went from 30 to 33). My speedometer is now within 1% of actual when comparing to a GPS pretty good for $35 in parts a a bit of wrench time. Overall it's and easy mod.
Cheers,
P

Willman

$35 is a lot better than $200......When i cross that bridge.....That sounds good for me!

Thanks P for posting this up!

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12