Sport 4.90 gears a direct swap?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A local salvage yard has a 2002 sport xls and I'm thinking of grabbing the rear 3rd member and front center section to swap into my 98, is my air locker a direct swap into the 4.90 3rd member or does it require some grinding or machining? Or do I need to tear it down and just swap the ring and pinion alone?

Have you found any good threads on info needed to do this? I've often considered going to 35s on the montero but I won't do it without re-gearing.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Have you found any good threads on info needed to do this? I've often considered going to 35s on the montero but I won't do it without re-gearing.

It's as simple as replacing your ring and pinion with the 4.9 set. The job is simple, but time consuming mainly due to the weight of the 3rd member. Having another set of hands is almost a requirement.

Swapping a whole third member is one thing. Changing just the R&P is certainly more complicated. The information I've found has been completely convoluted with no clear answer.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Swapping a whole third member is one thing. Changing just the R&P is certainly more complicated. The information I've found has been completely convoluted with no clear answer.

There are definitely a few of those misleading threads, but swapping the ring and pinion gears themselves seems to be the best way to do it.

Just an FYI, swapping the R&P is not the sort of job you do laying on your back under the truck in the driveway. It's actually a fairly complicated matter, but not impossible.

That said, I'll probably attempt re-gearing my FJ62 from 4.11 to 4.88 soon.

Jeep-N-Montero, getter' done and do the emerging Monty world a favor by providing a beautiful write up on this ;)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just an FYI, swapping the R&P is not the sort of job you do laying on your back under the truck in the driveway. It's actually a fairly complicated matter, but not impossible.

That said, I'll probably attempt re-gearing my FJ62 from 4.11 to 4.88 soon.

Jeep-N-Montero, getter' done and do the emerging Monty world a favor by providing a beautiful write up on this ;)

Dude, I have my re-gear guy do setups for me, only $150 per axle for labor if I bring it to him.

plh

Explorer
Gear shop near me is $100 cash, bring the parts not installed in the vehicle. I'm guessing your $600 per end is drive in your vehicle, drive out complete. Otherwise you need to find a new gear shop.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
There seems to be a few places on the internet where replacing a ring and pinion requires witchcraft. I can assure you, it's a simple job, and the hardest/most complicated/most time consuming part of it will be removing and installing the 3rd member on the axle.

I've done r&P's dozens of times...once you have the parts in front of you, it's maybe 20-30 mins of work per axle. Again, the worst part is removal and install of the diffs (the pinion is usually pretty easy too.)

I vote diy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior