Sport 4.90 gears a direct swap?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There seems to be a few places on the internet where replacing a ring and pinion requires witchcraft. I can assure you, it's a simple job, and the hardest/most complicated/most time consuming part of it will be removing and installing the 3rd member on the axle.

I've done r&P's dozens of times...once you have the parts in front of you, it's maybe 20-30 mins of work per axle. Again, the worst part is removal and install of the diffs (the pinion is usually pretty easy too.)

I vote diy.

Are you implying I should just ship everything to you to do it once I get the parts? Sounds good to me.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It's been suggested to me to buy and replace the 3rd member in back and the whole diff assembly up front so you don't have to worry about setting the differential backlash.

Ray, your truck and my truck share a 4.63 ratio, right? Where as the gen 2.5 that Jeep-N Montero has has a higher ratio of 4.3somthing?

So you're saying for the front that part number 23 is needed entirely? That's easy.
1-24-2014 10-43-17 AM.jpg

As far as the rear diff, my concern is installation of the locker into the diff.
1-24-2014 10-52-07 AM.jpg1-24-2014 10-58-21 AM.jpg

GrassCat

Adventurer
It's been suggested to me to buy and replace the 3rd member in back and the whole diff assembly up front so you don't have to worry about setting the differential backlash.

Sounds right if you don't want a locker, but he wants a locker. The hardest part of the R&P swap is getting the backlash set correctly. If not done right it will howl. If you can do it in 30 min or less, I know a few shops that would like to talk to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior