Sportsmobile Fuso

dlh62c

Explorer
John

Its my understanding that ATW has delivered several of the bodies in Australia now. I know of one that traveled from Australia though Indonesia, Asia, Europe to Paris riding on a Isuzu chassis.

Have you gotten any feed back from customers regarding the bathroom configuration and how well it works out for long term travel?

Daryl

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Daryl,

No. Not really. We haven't had much feedback from them at all........thats probably a good thing. We do hear from GW004 about once a month but they're 6000 kms away from here at the moment and emails are usually brief. I will make a point of asking next time though.....this was the first single cab Isuzu we built as I mentioned to you before, there has been some mould changes since then and we've had to modify the toilet door a little and a couple of small issues that have had to be sorted as you'd expect ....but the shower / entry combination should still be a winner.

dlh62c

Explorer
Awesome!!!

I'm amazed that you could design and install the body around the North American emission/exhaust system. I can't help but think things would get purdy HOT in that area.

Did you have to relocate anything?

Daryl

Exhaust_0.jpg

Last edited:

Jonny

Observer
Daryl,

Yes, had to relocate the fuel and DEF tanks, and modify the exhaust tip just a tad to clear the step. But all the design work done by ATW Australia and
their team paid off, and the fit up went extremely well. Off to show this unit at SEMA Nov 4 - 8.

Alan

Jonny

Observer
James,

The All Terrain Warrior Alpha Camper and one of our Sportsmobile 4x4 Campers will be in the Featured Vehicle Area. We will not know where they
place us until Sunday morning, as we are scheduled to be at the Marshalling yard at 8 AM that morning for vehicle placement. Should not be hard
to find us, two larger than average vehicles for SEMA.

Alan

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
James,

The All Terrain Warrior Alpha Camper and one of our Sportsmobile 4x4 Campers will be in the Featured Vehicle Area. We will not know where they
place us until Sunday morning, as we are scheduled to be at the Marshalling yard at 8 AM that morning for vehicle placement. Should not be hard
to find us, two larger than average vehicles for SEMA.

Alan

Have you come up with a price point yet on the Alpha? What about if one supplies one's own truck?

Thanks

Keyne

Adventurer
Have you come up with a price point yet on the Alpha? What about if one supplies one's own truck?

Thanks

X2 That's a great question. For instance, finding one of the older FG's with low range and manual would make a great setup with this camper IMO.

whatcharterboat

The Fuso FGB71 was released here in Australia a few weeks ago with dual range transfercase as standard. Does anyone know if the FGB72 will have the same change in the near future?

whatcharterboat

We are really looking forward to seeing the new Fuso based Sportsmobile. An exciting new development for sure.

Hi Scott,

Mate you guys didn't waste time getting the OJ name on it. Haha. Bet that was Brian. Looks like it was always meant to be anyway.

It would be great to get some feedback from you sometime. The body shell and general layout is very much the same as the units we produce here .....only the hardware and ancillary equipment is different.

Sportsmobiles at SEMA yesterday......
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Kind regards
John

whatcharterboat

Link to Video from SEMA.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9KXbP-Lt4

The guy mentions $125k price and that it has Auto, low range, and locking hubs. I thought the new Fusos and those with AT didn't have low range?

Looks nice seeing it actually moving. I really like the size and cabover design vs the more truck based options out there with long hoods. Would really like to see a drawing or pic of the fixed roof version (ex how are the windows done in the fixed roof section, etc.).

Also, I haven seen it in person but the wood slatted doors to the head and cabinets is kind of a turn off to me. I come from sailing and they remind me of cheap sailboat interiors, but maybe they look better in person. Wonder if its possible to get doors like the original Aussie version (white fiberglass?). Just looks cleaner to me but again haven't see it in person.

Real excited to see this available in the US. Especially at that price I might be able to buy one... Maybe.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Video walkthrough was very nice. I like the overall envelope of the truck - it is definitely a good looking exterior. I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about the amount of storage space - it wasn't obvious that there was a lot of it and storage is key!

Probably one of my favorite features is the backside and the innovative spare tire carrier.

I understand that the pop-top is necessary to make it low enough to fit in a container and that is a tradeoff that has to be made. Fabric pop-tops are not my cup-of-tea but that is just me, I know a lot of people like them.

I read that Fuso is bringing back the low range to the FG, but I don't think it will be available in NA (the Aussies are the ones clamoring for it) - and it will be a manual transmission. (probably similar to earlier FGs but that is a guess I have no info on that)

Regardless, at $125k this seems like a very good price. At least $45k for the FG. $6k for SRW. $6k for parabolics. $2k to upgrade the cab. All that before you even start to think about the camper box. Notably absent features appear to be a genset, air conditioning, kitchen (stove/oven/microwave/exhaust fan) which I imagine would boost the price a bit.

LoupGarou

Regardless, at $125k this seems like a very good price. At least $45k for the FG. $6k for SRW. $6k for parabolics. $2k to upgrade the cab. All that before you even start to think about the camper box. Notably absent features appear to be a genset, air conditioning, kitchen (stove/oven/microwave/exhaust fan) which I imagine would boost the price a bit.

I'd say its closer to $199k plus the price of the truck at $46K, for the grand total of $245,000 USD, with A/C, Parbolics and SRW as options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior