SPOT Connect works with your smart phone

haven

Expedition Leader
We learned about a year ago about a new product that used SPOT satellite signaling and Delorme's PN-60W GPS. The combination lets you send very brief messages via satellite to Twitter, Facebook, or to an email address -- from just about anywhere in the world!

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36802

Now SPOT has announced a new product that substitutes your smart phone for the Delorme GPS unit. The SPOT Connect app will be available for Android phones first, then iOS devices. The app talks to the SPOT hardware via Bluetooth.

Details here: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

The SPOT Connect product was given an Innovations Award for Design and Engineering at the 2011 CES show.

The accuracy of the SPOT GPS is about 10 meters, so this may not be the right choice for geocaching enthusiasts. They will buy the $400+ Delorme GPS product. The SPOT Connect list price will be $170. There are usage charges for both products.

Spot Connect is supposed to work anywhere in the world that the Globalstar satellite network is available. The coverage map is here http://www.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=106&sidenav=232 Looks like east Africa, parts of India, Tibet and the southern tip of South America are not covered. Be sure to check if your destination is included before buying.

preacherman

Explorer
Of course this announcement comes two months after I buy a pn-60 w spot. the unit they show in the photos is the exact one that comes with the pn-60 so maybe it will work with my iPhone. That would be good because then you can use your keyboard and not have to scroll through the whole alphabet like you do on the delorme.

And I can personally vouch for the fact they do not work in east africa, been there done that.

Rando

Explorer
I am pretty excited about this. I considered buying the PN-60W, for its spot capabilities, but I didn't really like the GPS unit. Hopefully this will have iOS support or maybe someone can reverse engineer the protocol to allow it to work with any device.

bugnout

Adventurer
Now thats what I'm talking about! Like they were reading my mind (by satelite... better put my tin foil hat back on) :sombrero:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Of course this announcement comes two months after I buy a pn-60 w spot. the unit they show in the photos is the exact one that comes with the pn-60 so maybe it will work with my iPhone...

I'll be seeing them at the upcoming Outdoor Retailer Show, I'll try and remember to ask. I too am interested but my reasons may be different. I would like the option of using my phone but when I'm exploring around in the back country the last thing I want attached to my hip is my phone, the GPS option has far more appeal in that scenario.

Rando

Explorer
While it may externally look similar, this is not the same unit that works with the PN-60, that device uses 802.15.4 to communicate with the PN-60 which is an entirely different protocol than bluetooth.

Of course this announcement comes two months after I buy a pn-60 w spot. the unit they show in the photos is the exact one that comes with the pn-60 so maybe it will work with my iPhone.

BillTex

Adventurer
Of course this announcement comes two months after I buy a pn-60 w spot. the unit they show in the photos is the exact one that comes with the pn-60 so maybe it will work with my iPhone. That would be good because then you can use your keyboard and not have to scroll through the whole alphabet like you do on the delorme.

And I can personally vouch for the fact they do not work in east africa, been there done that.

Sell me the pn-60...:bike_rider:

haven

Expedition Leader
ChrisD20, thanks for mentioning TagIn. It sounds like a useful service when you're within range of a cell phone tower. The advantage of the SPOT service is that it uses a link to a satellite rather than cell phone. So SPOT works in unpopulated areas where there is no cell service.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've read that it can provide a gps signal for phones out of cell range and connects with those phones via bluetooth.

That said, I wonder if it will work as a bluetooth gps for my wifi ipad too? I've already sent them an email asking.

styx

I've read that it can provide a gps signal for phones out of cell range and connects with those phones via bluetooth.

[…]

Sounds more like it provides sat. communication for GPS devices outside cell coverage. Cell coverage is not required for true GPS. (Yes, some cell phones claim to have gps, but require cell coverage. It's a sham.)

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Anybody get ahold of one of these yet? Can't find them available anywhere, so I'm guessing they're not available yet, but really interested in one.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Well, the SPOT Connect finely came out after several delays with the app And iTunes that delayed the release. I set it up yesterday evening and use my current SPOT profile and simply add it as one of my devices without setting up another profile or more contacts.

It was easy to pair to the iPhone & iPad and was recognized by both. I sent out a test message that went to Facebook in several seconds, but took longer to go through as a text message. I'm trying it again several times to see how the easiest method is through 41 character *direct message or preselected message. I think the direct message takes longer.

I was able to talk the guys at SPOT to throw in tracking, so I can show a real time homecoming of the Troopy. I will have it with me at OE so stop by the MAXTRAX booth if you want to see it. I had a small customer service issue, but it was a unique situation.

Usually the flat windshield of the FJ Cruiser and Troopy made it harder to send messages from the dashboard. To mount it to the FJ I got a small Plano watertight box (like a mini Pelican case) that I will mount to the roof rack for an 'open sky' view for the receiver.

-Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears